[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chicken Coop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10
File: IMG_20160626_184530[1].jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160626_184530[1].jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
I recently finished and placed my new chicken coop, any of you guys have one?
It's mostly made out of recycled wood and it costed me only a few € in screws, hinges and time.
It's 1.8x1.5x1.7~ and I plan to keep about 20 hens in there.
Any suggestion? What do you guys think? Any breed that you would recommend (I was thinking about Australorps)

...more pics to follow
>>
File: IMG_20160626_184157[1].jpg (994 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160626_184157[1].jpg
994 KB, 3264x1836
>>1014496
>>
File: IMG_20160626_184605[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160626_184605[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>1014497
>>
File: IMG_20160626_184419[1].jpg (894 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160626_184419[1].jpg
894 KB, 3264x1836
>>1014499
>>
File: IMG_20160626_184309[1].jpg (926 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160626_184309[1].jpg
926 KB, 3264x1836
>>1014500
>>
File: IMG_20160626_184334[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160626_184334[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>1014501
>>
File: IMG_20160626_184545[1].jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160626_184545[1].jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>1014503
>>
File: IMG_20160626_184408[1].jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160626_184408[1].jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>1014504
>>
If you're going to measure things incorrectly, at least tell us the unit. Looks like a nifty little hen house.
>>
>>1014508
My bad, I just noticed I forgot the unit.
It's meters.
1.5m large, 1.8m depth without the nest boxes and about 1.7 at the top of the roof, 1m at the lowest point
>>
It looks very nice. You should add a solar panel. :)
>>
>>1014508
It's in hectares
>>
How do you prevent from snake attack?
>>
Are you selling these chickens or their eggs in the future? Would love to hear your advice on doing this kind of business.
>>
Interdasting coop
>>
cute little thingy, gj
>>
>>1014705
LOL
I'm actually thinking about finding a way to give them fresh water through the irrigation of the near orchard. Even if the orchard is mine the irrigation isn't (its cost and maintenance are paid by the consortium of local farmers).

>>1014732
There is no snake that would be a threat to full grown chickens around here, actually the snake would probably be the one ending up being eaten (when I find and kill one I feed it to them usually and the new breed I'm considering to buy is bigger than my actual one).
What I'm more worried about are rats (they won't kill them but usually hurt their feet or crest) or martens, fox don't usually get so close.
I'm in Italy btw.

>>1014733
I have a few hens already (6-7) and I sell some eggs to the neighbors or give them away to my relatives. I didn't plan to do any real money so I can't really give any advice.
But since I would like to increase the number of hens I may have to sell more than in the past, I know some locals sell to the local store but I'm not sure that it's "totally" legal or easy to make so (I guess a lot would depend from your country and area).
>>
I'd avoid the Australorps personally, every single one I've ever had developed and then shared bad habits, like egg eating, flying over fences, or just generally trying to get as high up a tree as possible at night because fuck that swanky coop I'm a big black bird and I'm gonna sit in this tree. Yeah, you can break those habits, but its a pain.

That said, the aussies were always survivors when raccoons broke in. If you aren't worried about bigger predators, I'd say go with Barred Rocks or Rhode Island. More people friendly. Just my preference though.
>>
>>1014893
Thanks for the advice.
I heard the opposite about Australorps, means I have to keep doing some research about the right breed to start with.
Barred Rocks doesn't lay enough eggs for my tastes while Rhode Island seems good, I need to cheek if I can find them around eventually.
Another breed I was considering is Sussex, any experience with them?
>>
>>1014893
>>1014895

I was going with australorps because seems to be the dual-purpose breed that lays more eggs and also does good in winter and tolerates confinement
>>
>>1014897
My experience is too limited to give any reccomendations, all I can give are personal observations and preferences. The Australorps I had basically ignored the coop, roosted in any nearby trees, and then hid eggs in tall grass. Once the other hens saw the new nests, the coop was forgotten except for sleeping, and they were starting to follow the Aus into the trees when I put an end to that.

Granted, I free-range my chickens on a 1/4 acre on the outskirts of city limits. I got dogs on all three sides of my property, raccoons in my sewer, and occasionally red tailed hawks in my airspace. The aus was the only one to fly over the fence into dog land (survived the subsequent mauling, recovered, flew back for round two, did not).

A side tip: get a chunk of astroturf or some other cheap fake grass. Cut a piece for your floor, they are going to poop when they roost. The turf will be easy to drag out the door, dump, wash, and put back. Likewise cut small peices for your nestboxes, preferably enough to fold to double-thickness. This gives some cushion so eggs don't break.
>>
>>1015228

>I free-range my chickens on a 1/4 acre
Mine won't have so much space but there are trees were they may end up roosting.

>get a chunk of astroturf
Thanks for the tip, indeed I was going to use a piece of what used to be the rubber floor of a gym (the wood comes mostly from the roof of that gym)
>>
>>1014496
My sister raises Dutch Bantams on our farm and they're funny little buggers- good layers and tend to look after themselves pretty well. Low maintenance and good for a hobbyist as they're really easy to domesticate, will follow you around, don't peck kids etc.
You will have to keep an eye out for hawks and foxes though.
>>
My Austrolorps were my favorite hens actually. Rhode Island Reds are assholes. Only have one left and even the other chickens cant even stand it
>>
>>1015273
>Dutch Bantam
I'm actually looking for a large breed since I plan to get some meat from them and not only eggs.
>>
>>1014880
20 is a relatively big number in the future you'd probably make a little bit of money. We have 8 hens and they're not the best breed but we get like 4-5 eggs daily.
>>
>>1016049
If that will happen I won't complain for sure.
Consider that I have 6 hens right now that does more eggs (5-6 daily) than the breeds I plan to switch to and the money I get is just a few € when my grandma sells the eggs to the neighbors, more would be welcome but it's not a big deal.
Of the 20 not all of them will be old enough to lay eggs or at the top of their production phase in life. Some will be too young and some getting old and so in my plate. So my guess is that I will have 15 eggs daily at best.
I have a few budgies and sell them to people or animal stores from time to time so I was thinking to sell some chicks too if I find people interested.
If I will do enough money to pay for their food and slowly pay off the cheap chines incubators I bought that will be more than enough.
>>
>>1016281
Good luck! One quick question do you give eggshells back to hens if so would that do any good?
>>
>>1018159
Different guy. Chickens will eat eggshells, but if you're buying layers pellets then they will already be getting all the calcium they need so it won't be helpful. If you're feeding them mostly scraps then you should definitely put eggshells in with them.
>>
>>1018159
Only from time to time since I feed them pellets (and also leftovers).
Instead I use eggshells to provide calcium for my budgies when I have time to clean, sterilize and grind them.
But when I give them, the eggshells are mixed with other leftovers. I got teach that by eating intact eggshells they may start eating good eggs too. Never bothered to verify this claim.
>>
>>1015813
Hm. Barred Rock is the best meat/egg bird I know of on the planet. I'm not sure better can be had.
>>
>>1018221
>Barred Rock
Their weight isn't bad, I thought they were more light and less tolerant of cold temperatures.
But about the egg laying by what I read around they are still inferior to Australorps or other breeds I considered.
>>
>>1014505
Looks really nice buddy, really like what you did with the outside. So many of my neighbors have ugly sheds and coops all over their yards.
>>
>>1014496
breed entirely depends on what you want them for, eggs, meat, eggs and meat, breeding, just because you've always wanted chickens ect
>>
>>1014496
where did you get your recycled wood?? ive been looking for ways to get decent amounts for projects like yours
>>
>>1014880
just use a rainwater barrel and add a water feeder to the baise

rats can be dealt with quite easily with traps or a pellet gun

you would probably be better off just recycling spare eggs for other animal food. my pigs love egg and i can sell them to my local butcher. rules may vary according to where you live but flesh will always outsell eggs
>>
>>1015273
bantam eggs are so tiny tho, takes 8 to make a decent omelette
>>
BUFF ORPINGTON ARE BEST CHICKEN IN THE WORLD EVER CASE CLOSED>>. WONDERFUL FAT EGGS EVERYDAY MAKE ME KING EGGLORD HAIL THEIR GENTLE DISPOSITION AND FLOOFY PLOOF. WINTERS PIERCE CANNOT THROUGH THE HEAVY COAT AND SUMMERS HEAT THEY LAY LOW AND THRIVE. BUFF! BUFF! BUFF! BUFF!
>>
>>1018768
Thanks man.

>>1019015
I want a breed that lays a decent amount of egg but with some meat on the bones to eat once they get old. That's why I was looking for a dual-purpose. Also must be a breed that does well in winter, heat won't be a problem because there is trees around.
I plan to let them breed but not get broody because I have a cheap incubators for that, so the broodiness of the breed is also a factor (that's is what I get the most different opinions from the websites I visited).
The breeds I'm more interested in so far are Australorps, Sussex, Ameraucana and Marans (I may buy different breeds later).

>>1019017
From the local school gym that was demolished early this year.

>>1019019
I would love to have pigs too in a few years but my mom and grandma (yes, I still live with my parents: Italy) would kill me and feed me to them if I do so. They hate the smell.

>>1019071
Nice breed, but again Australorps seem to be superior to them in egg laying.
>>
>>1014496
>Any breed that you would recommend
Araucana. Some of the tastiest eggs I've had. You'll thank me later.
>>
>>1019020
Yeah there's not much to them, but when you've got little kids they're entertaining for them.
Mostly they're sort of used as an organic 'insecticide' that run around in the gardens murdering insects, shitting everywhere. Plus she sells a fair few as pets because they're brightly coloured and friendly.

Course there's nothing wrong with getting a mix of chickens as they live together ok, so Aussies and Leghorns could be an ok mix, Orpington's are also fairly docile but the Leghorns might beat them up
>>
>>1014496
I fucking love chickens!

I'm a poultry science major.
Get you a fucking Ayam Cemani for maximum fucking swag points.

Black as the darkest night and aren't retarded neurotic egg laying/meat stacking machines.

80 eggs a year per bird (not too much and not too little) and they're intelligent enough to be little buddies.

A little expensive but you can probably find some under breed standards for $50 a laying hen if you look around.
>>
File: 1466230512564.jpg (16 KB, 225x287) Image search: [Google]
1466230512564.jpg
16 KB, 225x287
>>1020545
Forgot to mention, if you don't want to spend big money bantams and silkies are GOAT.

Happy, love humans, love rubbing up on you and sitting on you, and still have alright egg production.
>>
File: Ayam_cemani.jpg (184 KB, 671x582) Image search: [Google]
Ayam_cemani.jpg
184 KB, 671x582
>>1019171
>Australorps
>>1014496

Jesus fucking christ OP are you selling eggs?

220-300 eggs a year is what you can expect from a healthy australorps hen.

And you want dozens.
>>
will you put your cock in there?
>>
How much does it take to raise a chicken? Are they okay pets? Could you feasably keep one in an apartment? Would you have to walk it?
>>
>>1020551
I've heard that fucking chickens actually tends to shatter their hips into sharp dust

they seem big enough for the D when you look at those eggs but they're really not made for sexual
>>
You gonna crawl in there to clean?
Suggest a door big enough for you :-)
>>
>>1019204
they also eat everything, they ate every fruit plant in my garden, and murdered my lettuce
>>
>>1019185
>Araucana
What's the difference between Araucana and Ameraucana? It's two different names for basically the same breed or there is some difference?

>>1019204
>getting a mix of chickens as they live together
I'm looking for breed that should be quite calm and easy going.

>>1020545
>Ayam Cemani
I knew that breed and as much as I would like to own a hell's demon in the form of a scary as fuck chicken I think they would cost me too much and not being worth in both meat and eggs, eventually later on.

>>1020548
>220-300 eggs a year
As said, I own chicken already and getting this much Australorps would double my production at max. I will sell a little more eventually, or just eat more chicken.

>>1020683
>door big enough for you
As you can see in some pics I have an opening to clean the floor and half of the roof also opens up.
See: >>1014503 >>1014505
>>
>>1020551
>will you put your cock in there?
I heard goats are more suited for that kind of activity.
>>
>>1020706
The old chook will eat anything people will eat- veggie gardens are pretty much a buffet for them and you wont want them in there. House gardens with flowers, shrubs and trees though are adventure land and they generally don't murder too much of those.

>>1021011
>I'm looking for breed that should be quite calm and easy going.
The Orpington might be worth a look as a dual-use chicken then, they are very placid and good natured birds.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.