[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in the market for a new jigsaw. I've always had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Barrel.jpg (262 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Barrel.jpg
262 KB, 1200x1200
I'm in the market for a new jigsaw. I've always had corded, the one I'm currently using is an old Bosch D handle that is almost as old as I am but it's solid. It's only now that it's starting to show signs of age. I wont throw it out but I'd also like something that's cordless to make life on site a bit easier.

I have had battery jigsaws in the past but it was in the day before lithium batteries.

My question is not what brand to buy or what jigsaw, I'm going to match my current platform and the reviews I've read on those are excellent.

My question is about jigsaw type. Does anyone have much experience with barrel grip jigsaws and metal work? I've always had D handle jigsaws but as I'm using jigsaws for metal work and woodwork, I'd like something that might be easier to use for detailed work.

When I say I'm going to be cutting metal it will mostly be galv steel sheet no thicker than 3mm.
>>
>>1014211
>It's only now that it's starting to show signs of age.
Replace the bearings. Motor brushes too if it uses them. Probably get another 30 years out of it.

As for new tools I couldn't tell you. I've got an old metal bodied Craftsman from the '60s that still worked very well. Its on its 3rd set of brushes, second set of bearings and 2nd power cord.
>>
>>1014214
pretty much this, did this with my old drill from year pottery and my circular saw, wich took me a time to find fitting parts.
>>
>>1014214
>>1014570

Yeah I'm gonna fix it up and hold on to it but that's not what I'm asking.

I need a cordless to make life at work on the job site easier.

I'm asking if anyone has experience using barrel grip jigsaws for metal work
>>
>>1014704
It's just

>battery powered jigsaws
>metal

Dude ,corded will make your life easier than a battery operated jigsaw. Especially if it is plate steel.

Is it easier to drag a cord or replace a battery every 5 minutes?
>>
>>1014707
I still think, regardless of the metalworking aspect, someone on this board should be able to give their opinion on which type of grip they prefer.
>>
>>1014734

Is the work piece clamped down? Then barrel grip with the tower so you can apply force with your other hand.

Is the work piece loose and you need a hand to steady it? Well D grip for that one hand usability.

Though cutting into metal you'd require more force so clamp that bitch and barrel handle it.

Though if you are going cordless you can easily overload the jigsaw so a D handle will be fine.
>>
>>1014707
>every 5 minutes

It's 2016. You can buy battery table saws. I really don't think it's as big of an issue as it was when there were only 2ah ni-cd batteries on the market.

As I said. I have the option of a corded jigsaw if I need it. I have a corded recip saw. I have corded cut off saws and abrasive wheel saws. I have corded 4.5 and 9" angle grinders. It's not what I want or need. I want something cordless for its lack of wires.

>>1014765
There will be both situations. Also situations where I could be working meters off the ground forming a hole in ply lined dry wall or cutting out steel tube (spiral duct).

Would a barrel grip not be suitable in this situation?
>>
I'd just get another Bosch, OP, they're the best value for the money.
>>
>>1014211
I've always used D-grips and I usually have no problems unless it's just way too intricate for my blade size. But the thing is, barrel grips just feel more comfortable. If you want something you can use for awhile and make long cuts with I'd go barrel.
>>
>>1014851

Depends on how thick the barrel is.

Best thing to do is go to the store and find one on display and if it feels good you will instantly know.

If it feels kind of thick then it will be a little too clumsy for technical stuff.

Kind of like a thin body grinder vs a fat body grinder of the same blade size.

It is much more difficult to use a grinder with one hand when you can't wrap your whole hand around but when you have a thin body grinder then you can do wonders with it. All larger grinders have pistol grips for this reason.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.