[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know if this is the right board or not for this,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
I don't know if this is the right board or not for this, but I could really use some opinions

The neighbors behind my aunt's house recently added to the fence to heighten it, there's no alley, so for privacy I guess.

They paid for it, and had came to let my aunt know about it and blah blah blah.

Anyway, the fence looks like shit and there's a big mess left over of sand-like concrete and piles of dead torn old vines. We don't care about the vines, but there's still quite a mess in our backyard now.

I looked over it to see how their side was, and it looked 10 times better.

What should we do? We didn't pay anything towards it. I kinda wanna go and ask them if they know our side looks like dogshit but I feel like I'd be in the wrong

Pls help, pic related, my aunt is pretty naive about these things
>>
>>1013815
Here is how our side fencing looks for comparison.

The back neighbor's side looks close to this in terms of quality
>>
>>1013815
>>1013817
Is the wall right on the property line or is it on their side of the property line? If the latter there is generally nothing you can do. Look into 'good neighbor fence'. Sometimes the local codes require them, most times they don't. Since its their fence they can make it look like whatever they want. You can either put up your own cover or live with it.

If its right on the property line, IE some of it is on your side, some of it is on their side, then you do have some say in it. The issue though is that they paid for it and you contributed nothing. Sometimes that matters, sometimes that doesn't. Is the code for your location online somewhere? You'll probably have to look into it.

The mess they left on your side of the yard is another matter. They should pay for cleanup on that.
>>
>>1013836
I have no idea about the property line.

I figured the fence was right on it, I mean it should be, all the fences are like that in this neighborhood (no alleyways)

Google didn't turn up much about good neighbor fence laws, this is Texas if that helps any.

I just feel like we were wronged with it, even though we didn't pay for it. Looked better before, and now in order to make it look decent we'll have to pay money we hadn't intended on doing.

I don't believe the landlord even knows about it, but doesn't care much about or check on the state of the house and everything anyway since my aunt has been here for like a decade
>>
>>1013848
>this is Texas if that helps any.
You are probably fucked. It would be local codes that matter most though. City ones. Texas ain't gonna have anything on the books about shit like that. They can barely build decent roads out there. They have bigger things to worry about than someones fence. If you live in the county its unlikely they there would be a code related to this but its possible.

>I don't believe the landlord even knows about it
Tell them. Also tell your neighbor. I'd be pissed if I hired someone to redo my wall and found out they half-assed it. Doesn't matter which side of it they half-assed, its probably not what they paid for. Either way both of those parties need to know.
>>
>>1013848
>landlord

ok, so everything you do should include them in some way or another. In fact, the neighbor should have asked the Landlord to go in on the wall cost, not you (and/or you should have passed it along)

Remind the neighbor about removing the construction debris and bring up your concerns about the looks and workmanship of your side. If they get shitty then you will need to escalate to working with/through the actual property owner.
>>
>>1013855
Well it's in el Paso, having trouble finding appropriate codes for something like this

I'll get my aunt to tell them,

Good advice thank you

Youre right I don't think they intended on screwing us over or know how bad it is, so we'll just let them see for themselves
>>
>>1013857
True, if the landlord went half it would've been done at least by people half decent

The neighbors must've paid very low for it by some amateur douchebags

The landlord himself is a cheapskate though

Last time he promised to fix up the house he had the front side painted

Only the front side
>>
This might help point you in the right direction OP.

https://www.elpasotexas.gov/~/media/files/coep/city%20development/permits/building%20permits%20and%20review/residential%20fence.ashx?la=en
>>
>>1013836
>The issue though is that they paid for it and you contributed nothing
But they devalued his property by putting an igly fence. Even if it's right in the middle between the two plots and not just on his land, they still should have kept his side of the fence just as good.
>>
>>1013886
Not really. The recourse is to put up a fence on your side that looks good to you. I've seen this lots of times in cities. Crap starts to grow between the fences that no one can get to and things die and stink in the gap. It is a stupid consequence of city living. Only thing that can stop it is zoning and building codes.
>>
>>1013901
they made it look worse than it did before

it's right on the property line it seems, how is that not devaluing the property?
>>
>>1013904
You don't seem to understand how private property rights work in the USA. Your neighbor is under no obligation to maintain your properties' value. He is free to do with his property what he wants within the scope of the law.
>>
>>1013815
choice 1: ignore it and move on

choice 2: tell them they left it looking terrible and ask they at least help clean it up

choice 3: /diy/

>>1013865
>Last time he promised to fix up the house he had the front side painted
>Only the front side

kek
>>
File: Fire.jpg (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Fire.jpg
18 KB, 400x300
>>1013815
>>
>>1013815
>>1013817
Shit like this, I always just fix it myself. You can probable trim away the shitty mortar with a wire wheel then just pressure wash the stone. So much simpler and more rewarding to just solve your problems practically, and maybe learn a skill
>>
>>1013907
Op should build a taller shittier fence so they can soak it in. Also get property surveyed and destroy fence if it's on your line at all, they are trying to slowly steal your property.
>>
>>1013928
How much would this cost? I've never done anything of the sort before, but I'm sure it's not so hard.

And I don't really have any tools either
>>
>>1013907
They don't have to maintain your property's value, but they can't throw shit over the fence and cause a mess on your property.
>>
>>1013815
Tell them that the people they hired did a shit job (politely) and ask them to tell the company to get back out and fix their mess.
If that backfires, build your own damn fence out of a VERY contrasting material, and build it about a foot higher than theirs. This way you wont see their fence, and they will have a taste of their own medicine.
>>
>>1013817

Jesus even the top of the owners side looks like a bag of ass.

Its not fucking rocket surgery building a wall like this people... how the hell do "pros" fuck it up THAT bad.
>>
R u in Midland?
>>
>>1014052
Nope
>>
>>1013815
my inclination would be to suggest checking with neighbors, then just stucco over your half of the wall.

>>1013886
>>1013901
>>1013904
>>1013907
Also, it sounds like they came over to check with aunt if it was ok, and she okay'd it. So even if it turned out fucked, it sound like she approved it and has very little legal standing to complain.
>>
>>1013815
that looks like somewhere in southern europe, amrite?
>>
>>1014242
El Paso, Texas, as was previously stated in this thread. Man, I bet you feel pretty retarded right about now.
>>
>>1014223
Nah. There's pretty good standing. They came over and shit all over her fence and left their trash and shit there. It's a shitty thing to do and courts don't like it when you're shitty. It's a really good rule of thumb. She's not gonna get a million bucks or anything bit she might get her neighbor to fox the fence or pay for a new one...

That said talk to people before you take them to court, especially if you have to live next door to them for 15 years.
>>
>>1013907
You don't see to understand how property lines work in the USA. If a fence is built on the property line of two houses, both landowners own half. Even if one paid for it all because half of it is on your property.

>>1014223
>Also, it sounds like they came over to check with aunt if it was ok, and she okay'd it. So even if it turned out fucked, it sound like she approved it and has very little legal standing to complain.

That isn't how the law works, anon. Just because you okay something ahead of time doesn't mean you have no recourse after the fact.

For example you take your car to the garage for repairs and they tell you that you need to have your engine tuned up and you say okay. That doesn't absolve the mechanic from fucking up the job or destroying the car even though they gave them their blessing.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.