[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Disassembled my starter motor trying to troubleshoot starting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: motor-starter-motor.jpg (60 KB, 640x375) Image search: [Google]
motor-starter-motor.jpg
60 KB, 640x375
Disassembled my starter motor trying to troubleshoot starting issuse of my motorcycle. It's back together now bud I'd like to test it before I put everything back together to see if it works. Can I just connect it to the battery with starter cables or is that dangerous?
>>
>>995715
>Can I just connect it to the battery with starter cables or is that dangerous?
Clamp it down before you run cables to it, they'll jump around
>>
>>995715
Its dangerous to run it without a load for a long time, so be quick with it
Ive used jumper cables to bench test a starter before.
>>
>>995715
>Can I just connect it to the battery with starter cables or is that dangerous?
yes you can, and yes it is

>>995720
is right, the starter motor will move a lot when the power 1st hits it.

do not do this in an explosive environment as it WILL generate a spark or two when you make the final connection.

Jumper cables are a fine way to do this as long as the motor is held in place and not allowed to jump off the bench and land on your foot.
>>
Thanks for the tips guys, clamped it down to a vise and let it roll, seems to work fine.

Dyi'ng feels good man, few months ago I knew how to change chain and sprockets, now I've taken apart carb and starter motor and even managed to put them back together.
>>
>>995729
>Jump off the bench and land on your foot
Top fucking kek.
>>
>>995919
The torque from them turning over can only be equated to the largest mexican jumping bean fed only crack, meth and pure hatred.

It doesn't want to use as much energy as needed to leap a meter into the air, but it has to for maximum velocity at your foot.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.