[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some tricks for cooling your room without an air conditioner?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 6
File: 1460782150729.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460782150729.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
What are some tricks for cooling your room without an air conditioner? I am in NYC and it's so hot and humid I don't even feel like fapping.
>>
>>1013115
>hot and humid
Get a window unit.
>>
Saw a post on imgur where a guy had a simple fan but he lined the cage with copper wire that was chilled...I'll see if I can dig it up for you.
>>
>>1013115
>>1013130

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/jgvlM

Here you go mate.
>>
>>1013115
>summer thread
and it begins

>what are some tricks for cooling your room
A/C is not something that can be /diy/ed.

What is in the realm of /diy/ are basic home improvement modifications that make your home more hospitable to A/C.

In other words, we can only help you keep the sun out, and the cold air in. Expect to buy an A/C unit anyways.
>>
>>1013133
The last comment on that set is a valid point but if you use the fan to only cool what's in front of it (ie someone in a chair sipping lemonade) then it will feel like it's working. I wonder how well it would work as a heater in the winter if I added it to my pc water loop.
>>
>>1013143
I doubt your PC heats up that much.
In wintertime when people bust out the heaters, that crap tends to dump in excess of 1000W straight into heat.

Unless you bought some monster rig, I sincerely doubt your PC would alter the ambient temperature of the room.
I think your human body probably dumps more heat into the room than your PC does. Cut off air circulation in your room and you're halfway to heated.
>>
>>1013134
Well... You could DIY an A/C to some degree depending on your skills, but it wouldnt be cheaper than buying one (especially if you can get one second hand) and would likely not be very efficient.

If you need a really cheap A/C and have some experience at repairing electronics, buy a broken window unit and fix it, just make sure the problem is electrical.
>>
>>1013133

He should substitute the water with propylene glycol.
>>
>>1013144
A powerful SLI rig will put out 400+ watts. That's like running a ceramic heater on low, so it definitely will warm up a small room over time.
>>
>>1013153
It's not as if all of that is heat though.
Modern i7s have a 65-90W TDP and individual GPUs have a 120-180TDP.
>>
>>1013115
>Hot and humid
>NYC
Oh man, try Florida
>>
>>1013115
How humid is it?

If your place isn't too humid you could try spraying yourself with water and using a fan to evaporate the water.
>>
>>1013161
My pc runs at like 300+ watts with one gpu and one cpu according to a benchmark for my gpu that has a cpu with a similar tdp. and this doesn't account for the fact that i've oc'd both. However the same amount of heat would be dissipated whether you had it hooked up to a larger radiator as using air cooling or normal in case water cooling so there would be no point.
>>
>>1013115
2 windows, one with fan going in and the 2nd going out

if you only have one window, it may be possible to make a spacer so air can go in/out the same window
>>
>>1013177
lol try nova scotia its been 100% humidity outside for the past two weeks
>>
>>1013161
Actually most of the power from a computer is turned into heat. There's very little power being converted to mechanical energy in the fans and hard drives so the rest must be being used to do other work. The other work is pushing electrons around. Physically moving electrons is easy until you push it somewhere it's resisting. So it dumps a lot of energy into heat being forced to move through material it doesn't want to move over. Multiple that work across countless trillions of electrons that weight almost nothing together and you get the measured wall wattage as a good number for estimating the heat a computer dumps into a room.
>>
File: diy autism.jpg (135 KB, 1067x1063) Image search: [Google]
diy autism.jpg
135 KB, 1067x1063
>>1013115
sigh... this time of year already? just build this fucking thing and the biggest dragon dildo you can find
>>
>>1013129
>Get a window unit.
this if your wiring isn't shit, go with a lower powered unit

if your wiring is all kinds of fucked, get a bunch of box fans, and put them around your place and at least one in 2 different windows one in and one out, if you have a small place, get a few pieces of wood and mount and try to seal the box fans in the windows with weather stripping

and turn off all heat generating equipment in your place, if you have a radiator get a thick heavy blanket and put it over it, make little shades for the box fans so light doesn't hit them during the day, get heavy blackout curtains

if you need to have heat generating equipment inside your place, make something so it dumps the heat outside, either by water cooling it, or by ducting it out with another box fan pushing air through it and out a window
>>
>>1013200
Having it blowing directly on you might make some difference, but I suppose you could just turn the computer around and face the exhaust fans towards you.
>>
>>1013183
He's in New york. It's going to be terribly humid.
>>
>>1013115
just go get a window AC off craigslist you cheap prick. youre going to waste more money trying to build some useless crap. fans in the window arent going to do any good when its 100 degrees and 90% humid outside. building anything with a cooler that requires ice isnt going to do anything since you have to freeze the ice and that puts more heat back into your apartment via your fridge. a proper AC is the only thing that will actually work since is rejects the heat outside
>>
do what we did when poor, go to gas station ice boxes and just bring home a bigass bag of ice home everyday its cheap as fuck (in canada anyway) and it will absorb your room's heat.

or else commandeer a industrial fan and put it on your patio, you wont even remember that it's hot

dress well, drink a lot of iced drinks, always go to 7/11 my man
>>
>>1013325
Wow. This is rediculous.

Why is it still so common for people to not have AC? Window units are cheap now. If I didn't have a window, I'd vent it out a patio door or something.
>>
>>1013327
>Why is it still so common for people to not have AC? Window units are cheap now.
i have one, it's expensive as fuck to run, and it only gets turned on when it's over 100f, hell even then it's usually fans and pushing the heat out of the house, which is way easier to do then to keel the house cool all day long with me not there

plus old draft uninsulated house, heating and cooling are expensive as fuck so i either bundle up or walk around in my boxers
>>
>>1013373
It costs like $2-3/day to run an A/C for ten hours. And I get it, $60/mo isn't nothing, but it's still cheaper than buying a cold drink every day, or a bag of Ice from the service station, as some retards suggest.
>>
The trick is to not use an a/c. If you avoid a/cs, you will get used to the heat. Here in Europe nobody uses a/cs and we are doing just fine. The problem in america is that everybody uses a/cs so that nobody gets used to the heat and that means more and more a/cs get used
>>
File: tmp_21869-JUd7xlL1891675845.png (401 KB, 700x800) Image search: [Google]
tmp_21869-JUd7xlL1891675845.png
401 KB, 700x800
>>1013115
>>
>>1013505
Had a friend from england bitch me out for this same reason "its JUST summer"

He came and visited me in july two years ago. He changed his tune after a four day hiking trip in 95degree weather with 90% humidity.
>>
>>1013374
i'm a supreme cheapskate, why spend money when i can just go to a store with ac?

>>1013541
kek, like i said earlier exhausting the hot air works so much better
>>
Being poor in Arizona is literal hell. 107° on the regular and no choice but sit and hope you don't overheat because electricity is too expensive and even if you run it, you only have a swamp cooler so it just moves you to fucking Georgia for a few hours. We finally got a giant shop fan, and we didn't notice too much of a price jump, and it was incredibly efficient and cooling us down. That was a few years ago though. The volume may be a problem too.
>>
>>1013541
>winter time
>dig to the center of the earth
>free unlimited heating
>>
File: chinese.jpg (43 KB, 600x439) Image search: [Google]
chinese.jpg
43 KB, 600x439
>>1013115

The Chinese have a coat for that.

>they will rule us all one day as rightful masters of the human race
>>
>>1013612
I kinda wanted to make a water cooled shirt for shits and giggles, but that's probably easier.
>>
File: download.jpg (12 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12 KB, 274x184
Google diy ac ice chest. I remember this from when u was ten. Pic not related, srry
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FaC0dlRENk0
>>
>>1013505
Have you been to the US? Europes climate is cooler. It's already an average of 85-100 through most of the US. The cooler 85 has high humidity so it feels worse.
>>
>>1013612
>>1013633
I'm very curious as to the internal structure of that shirt. Logic tells me that all it does is cool your back, and make it impossible to sit in a chair because it requires a support structure to prevent the air chamber from collapsing.
>>
>>1013601
nah, just poke a hole in yellowstone
>>
>>1013693
Cools more than just the back - takes in air at the base of the torso, exhausts it out the neck and arms. Why should it collapse with positive pressure? The white version would probably have next to no airflow sitting in a full-backed chair, but the off-white one would have no problem.
>>
>>1013161
>It's not as if all of that is heat though.
What is it then? Visible light? Other types of electromagnetic waves? Mechanical energy? Some type of potential energy? Sound? No, none of that, it all gets converted to heat.
>>
>>1013115
Similar problem, except that it's so dry here.
Also there are no electricity.
Temps are like 40C, and the only methods of colling is a small fan that run on 12V battery.
Any ideas? should I invest in solar powered stuff? since I live in a desert?
>>
>>1013325
That's some great tips.
I put some tinfoil on my windows since it face east, along side with very thick and dark curtains.
The floor is ceramic tiles, but I have have a rug on it so it should minimize heat exchange.
Still the temps around 35 C.
Any other tips?
>>
>>1013144
>I think your human body probably dumps more heat into the room than your PC does.
A human body emits about 100W of energy. Most computers emits more.
>>
>>1013777
In fact, there's probably more heat than that, considering the PSU is likely only ~85% efficient.
>>
>>1013612
Just buy the workers an air conditioner already

Fuck the chinese are the worst cheapskates
>>
>>1014342
I imagine those jackets were implemented after the $5 ceiling fans were found to be insufficient.
>>
I ride the subway its got ac...
>>
>>1013601
But that is actually true...
>>
>>1013134
>A/C isn't something that can be /diy/ed
either you haven't been here long or you shouldn't be here.
>>
>>1014487
>I can make a shittier AC unit for three to five times the cost of a commercial one!
>Economy of scale means nothing to me as long as I can do it myself!
>>
>>1014557
This is true for like 90% of the stuff done here
>>
>>1013115
At night open some windows to get cross ventilation, close those windows just after sun up to keep the night cooled air in and to stop the sun warmed air from replacing it, keep blinds and curtains closed during the day to stop the sunlight from warming the place up.

>>1013227
You can also make a version of this using 2 litre plastic bottles full of frozen water, freeze the in you freezer (obviously) and replace bottles once they have thawed out, keeping frozen bottles in your freezer will also take up any empty space in there and help to lower your power bills as a full freezer requires less power to run.
>>
>>1014566
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITtlxjvLQis
>>
>>1013505
95°f 90% humidity here in Tennessee. You don't get used to that, m8
>>
>>1014557
>diy ever being more expensive than retail

in what wacky world does this apply? discount prebuilt computers only time this would make sense
>>
>>1014674
In terms of A/C units for one thing.
>>
>>1014566
>night cooled air
What to do if temps at night is 35C?
>>
>>1016173
move out of hell
>>
>>1014566
>and help to lower your power bills as a full freezer requires less power to run.

Cant argue with that logic.
>>
>>1013541
This does make sense!
>>
i've been thinking of getting a fountain pump, a cooler, a car heater core or two, some tubing with some clamps, and a box fan, and zip tying the heater core(s) to the box fan and drilling a few holes in the cooler and putting the fountain pump in the cooler with ice water, and connecting it to the heater core(s) and clamp the tubing down and getting a nice cool breeze through my room, mostly to cool down the room quickly
>>
/d/ hola
>>
idk but you better tell me what anime that is
>>
>>1016264
RUDE!
>>
>>1016267
you want sum bully too pal?
>>
>>1013115
Strangely enough my window unit just died this morning, about an hour ago.

I thought about trying to fix it but have no idea how. The fan just sort of stopped working, you can hear what I assume is the motor trying to run, but the fan doesn't spin.
>>
>>1013505
>here in Europe
I wish when you faggot come for vacation to Greece or any other Mediterranean country, your hotel room has no AC
>>
>>1016297
>Greece
>Europe
pick one
>>
File: front-3Q-4940_FPO.png (152 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
front-3Q-4940_FPO.png
152 KB, 320x320
>>1013115
Lasko blower fan.... Seriously this thing is awesome 50 bucks plus tax... Low on this thing is better than high on any box fan....
>>
>>1013115
Red Chaika is really fuckable.
>>
Window tinting can help. If you rent you can make a window frame with the tint and just place it behind the original window... Also run a dehumidifier if you can find an efficient one and seal off your room
>>
>>1013203
So, it's raining?
>>
>>1016301
its a squirrel cage so of course its going to blow a lot of air
its also going to be loud as fuck
>>
>>1016313
No I wouldn't say it's loud as fuck ... On higher speeds its a bit louder but I rarely turn my on anything other than low... I live in the South and it certainly is the next best thing to AC
>>
>>1013144
My office is in the basement and I work from there quite a lot. Being a poorfag I tend to keep it cool, I heat it more when I need it (during the winter-time).
Extended photo-editing does heat the room which can be felt right now as it's much cooler behind a curtain I installed to keep the heat in the office. And because it's summer I know the heat comes from the computer as all other heating is turned of... There is actually no other appliances here except for the office equipment.
>>
>>1016295
Do you have any experience with 'lectric? Sounds like it might be a seized fan motor. Check the fan is getting power with a multimeter.
>>
>>1016328
I have literally zero DIY experience. It was making some odd sounds earlier in the week, I thought it was rubbing up against the styrofoam inside the thing.
>>
>>1014566
>At night open some windows to get cross ventilation, close those windows just after sun up to keep the night cooled air in and to stop the sun warmed air from replacing it, keep blinds and curtains closed during the day to stop the sunlight from warming the place up.

You're going to trap all the CO2 and not get fresh oxygen in your home if you close all windows.
>>
I had some success with bong coolers running on outside air in a closed cycle to avoid raising humidity levels in the room. The cold water is then circulated through a radiator inside the room. However, you pretty much needed a full window ledge of bong coolers to make it work. This is fine if you have a local, poorly guarded plumbing supplier but otherwise it's just better to get a damn air conditioner.

If you buya used unit, 2 cans of non conductive foaming cleaner sprayed into the intakes will get any smell out of the fins and a towel held in place at the top with a heavy object to cover the outlet will catch the flurry of dirty foam cleaner.
>>
>>1016923
It's a shitty NY apartment, not a space station. Do you leave your windows open in the winter?
>>
>>1013115
HVAC engineer here.
get a fucking AC?
there is no other way. window units suck ass, "mobile ac" sucks.

best you can do though is use those ice + copper wire + fan methods, but then again, it's ghetto and won't really work.

>>1013130
this basically
>>
>>1013115
ice + fan. it's been done.

alternately, you could rig up some copper tubing with a cheap water pump to cycle liquid... with a fan. It's been done.
>>
>>1013130
>>1017220
>>1017379
yep.
>>
>>1014566
t h e r m o d y n a m i c s

You cannot cool things down in your freezer without exhausting more heat than you removed. Full freezers only use less energy when the contents are already chilled.

Putting frozen bottles in the same room as the freezer will only make the room hot and humid.
>>
>>1013505
Where in europe do you live?They are pretty common in spain.
>>
>>1013601
Or just do a geothermal heatpump, get 20-30ft down and it's a constant 50-60 degrees all year long depending on your latitude. Pumps the heat up or pump it back. Room will always be about 60-70 degrees.
>>
>>1017407
In reality this is false, it's not a hermetically sealed space, the hot air from the fridge rises and is absorbed by the ceiling, dissapating it. Also you can focus the breeze of the ice bucket method(which is all it's really good for) to blow just on you and keep you cool. Even if the room eas getting hotter you would feel cooler.
>>
>>1013115
just buy a fucking cheap AC on craigslist you stupid dummy. anything else you do will not be good enough.
>>
>>1017407
Every time you open your fridge all the cold air falls out.

The frozen water bottles don't.

Fuckin dumbshit.
>>
>>1013505
I guess you get used to everyone smelling like BO too?

-An American who just got back from yuroland
>>
>>1013115

hang an wet towel in your open window.
lo cost/energy saved...
>>
>>1013143
Ive got a 9590 and a 390x both are overclocked asmuch as possible it definitely keeps my room warm
>>
>>1013505
14,802 deaths.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave
>>
>>1013505
literally this

sometimes it gets to like 28(!!!) degrees in my home and I feel like I'm going to faint, but we suffer through it without complaining
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.