[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CD/DVD drive stepper motor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: steppermotor.jpg (731 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
steppermotor.jpg
731 KB, 1920x1080
Hey. I'm trying to re-use stepper motors from CD/DVD drives. After I soldered the wire to the tiny PCB tab, the tab came off : I can now see the insides of the stepper motor. I want to know how to find the 4 wires back in there so I can use the motor. What would be the solution ? The green part is the part wish got removed
>>
I also just want to point out that the whole assembly is important, including the stepper motor, and it would be quite difficult to replace the motor.
>>
If the green part was removed then it is almost impossible to get it working again. As the wires inside of them steppers are tiny, but you could be able to find them, there should be four ends that you need. Connecting them to another wire would be the difficuit part. The thing I would suggest is trying to unwrap one revolution so you have some room to work.
>>
>>1013030
Find a new drive. Better yet, buy actual steppers. Those motors are very, very weak.
>>
>>1013087
Seconded. These steppers are super weak, and if you take it apart to find the wires, you will most likely damage the magnetizing. (unsure about this, but I haven't worked with steppers that much).

And you wont be able to run the motor without its assembly, as the end of the shaft has a bearing on it.
>>
Buying another stepper isn't a solution since I want the carriage with the linear drive and stepper motor assembly (trying to build a tiny 3d printer, got z and y axis but this x axis broke). Thanks for your advice No.1013078, I'll open it with a dremel and try to do that.
>>
>>1013311
?
Linear bearings along with a drive screw and nut are about 10 bucks for one axis. Maybe 20. I see what you're doing, but that motor is done for.

Also, 3d printers dont have much resistance, so your motors should work, but what are you using for a hot end?
>>
>>1013315
Do you have a link about those 10 buck assembly ? Alright I gave up for the motor, the point is I want to keep it cheap because shipping fees are expensive and shipping times are long so I'm trying to re-use anything I can (including these). I'll have to buy a nema-16 for the e3d hot end.
>>
>>1013323
go to like 3 different dumpsters
you will find a useful drive there no matter what

these arent rare man and you shouldnt be paying for them they are soooo plentyful
>>
>>1013323
What country? I was assuming you were in the US.
>>
>>1013863
Sadly the dumpsters are controlled in my country, they make profit by re-selling and recycling stuff so you can't take anything. I'm in Europe and they are rare here.
>>
>>1013137
>unsure about this, but I haven't worked with steppers that much
ye, so let's totally make up things that might be somewhat possible in your insignificantly small brains
>>
I tried to open it to get the wires, succeeded to unwind once and get the tiny wires and solder them but the bearing assembly fell, those motors are very delicate...
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.