[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY Car AC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160623_110759980_HDR.jpg (1 MB, 1900x1069) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160623_110759980_HDR.jpg
1 MB, 1900x1069
So attached is my little swamp cooler. The moist evap pad surrounds the fan intake and outputs coldish air. However it doesn't really work very well. I'd have to hold the thing, and point it at my face 3 inches away to really cool off. So I'm wondering if these thing can be altered to work better, or if you guys have a better idea for DIY car ac. What do you think?
>>
File: air-conditioner-car.jpg (34 KB, 400x289) Image search: [Google]
air-conditioner-car.jpg
34 KB, 400x289
>>1012920
>>
>>1012920
where is it getting inlet air from?
>>
>>1012974
There are holes drilled in the sides and back of the cooler. But there isn't enough intake, so I've been using it with the lid open and hoping that the pad surrounding the fan intake is enough. The fan itself takes in air from the sides and back.
>>
>>1013007
if the fans waterproof make a drain on it so it can drain out any water and fill it with ice it would probably work better. Im guessing thats a ranger and since its all power it probably came with ac why dont you just fix it?
>>
>>1013014
Because it's fucked and the quote was $1200 to fix it. But damn, how did you know it was a ranger?
>>
i had a ranger take pics of engine compartment you can fix it yourself there probably full of shit
>>
>>1013024
I'm at work now. But what I can say is that the ac pulley that the belt wraps around won't turn. I have a belt on it now that bypasses the ac. If you grab it and turn really hard, you can get it to turn.
>>
>>1013027
it wont turn when you have the AC on or it wont turn at all?
>>
>>1013028
It won't turn (smoothly) at all. The pulley's bearings are shot or something. Possibly more damage besides that.
>>
sounds like the bearings locked up in the clutch whats the year and engine size
>>
>>1013031
>>1013027
Yank the pump off and grab another from the junkyard
You can get one from a Upull lot for like $40
>>
>>1013040
V6 4L
>>
>>1013043
this guys probably right this is the easiest way but you can get the bearing from autozone and if theres nothing else wrong you wont have to refill it http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/a-c-clutch-bearing/ford/ranger-2wd/1995/6-cylinders-x-4-0l-efi?filterByKeyWord=ac+clutch&fromString=search
>>
>>1013049
Thing I would be worried about with just replacing the clutch is if the cluch is fucked, what about the compressor?
The compressor could be siezed as well and have just burnt out the clutch locking it up.

Best thing to do would be removing the clutch and checking if the compressor is locked up
>>
>>1013024

um roll the windows down and open the back window you FUCK
>>
>>1013074
Correct answer here. If you can rig up that awful swamp cooler you can fix the a/c compressor.
>>
File: 157536.jpg (65 KB, 852x536) Image search: [Google]
157536.jpg
65 KB, 852x536
>>1012920
You could try making VW style of swamp cooler.

http://rat-look.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=133
>>
>>1013022
Not him but most seasoned mechanics will notice your lack or door panel and based on the style of the handle, say it's some sort of Kate 90s to mid 2000s Ford
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.