[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a bit of a tard when it comes to breadboards so bare with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: 400_points_breadboard.jpg (129 KB, 2413x1609) Image search: [Google]
400_points_breadboard.jpg
129 KB, 2413x1609
I am a bit of a tard when it comes to breadboards so bare with me. When it comes to ground on breadboards I tend to see people attaching the component/jumper wire on the negative rail that has a power supply going through it which toss me off since I have always heard that the power rails are fully powered on all its holes as long as a power supply is going through it, is this correct and those people that I see doing this are tards or am I wrong in this instance?
>>
File: flerp.jpg (224 KB, 2413x1609) Image search: [Google]
flerp.jpg
224 KB, 2413x1609
I don't know exactly what you're asking, but this is how it goes.
>>
File: Breadboard.png (110 KB, 479x407) Image search: [Google]
Breadboard.png
110 KB, 479x407
This is how the breadboard is wired. You can get PC boards with a matching pattern to make it easier to transfer a circuit from the breadboard to the PC board.
>>
>>1012543
so if pic is true then how does connecting to the negative rail be considered "ground" if a power supply is going through it?
>>
>>1012595
"Ground" is just a name for whatever zero-point reference you're using. Often we bind that to the actual ground, but it can be floating or even have a potential from earth-ground.

Assuming you're taking about a single rail power supply, the output voltage is the potential between the - and + terminals. By convention the - terminal is "0V" and the + is "+V" but you could treat them as -V and 0 if you wanted. If you have a dual output (NB: other configurations are possible) you have a -V, 0/ground, and +V. If you wanted you could just use the -V and +V and it would be the same as using 0 and 2V, as it's all relative to a reference.
>>
>>1012595
Ground is not the same as common.

That's something you need to understand from the context of the circuit. People use "Ground" as a general term for "0V potential".
Ground as used correctly is used for protection and is connected to conductive housings of electrical devices. Current does NOT flow through the ground wire during normal operation.

Common is typically connected to the negative terminal inside the context of a circuit. Current flows through the common rail during normal operation.
>>
>>1012614
Makes sense.

>>1012768
Why the trip? Did it somehow enhance your post? I don't think so..
>>
>>1012787
>Why the trip?
Because tripfags gonna tripfag. On the other hand, if you are one of those anons who go around filtering them, just think of all the potentially useful information you're not even seeing. Hell, I don't see why it bothers you so much.

inb4 anonymoos weebsight
>he uses a tripcode, so now I know his identity!
>>
File: breadboard-rails[1].jpg (44 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
breadboard-rails[1].jpg
44 KB, 500x356
>>1012578
>>1012543
>>1012527
Something to bear in mind is that a lot of breadboards the lengthwise rails have little breaks in them at the halfway point or one-third points.

This is good, because it lets you run different voltages in different sections, or treat one big breadboard as two or more small breadboards.

But if you want to treat the thing as one long rail, you need to run jumper wires across the breaks.

>>1012796
Best just to filter all the names to "anonymous".
>>
File: ground.png (38 KB, 500x224) Image search: [Google]
ground.png
38 KB, 500x224
>>1012768
> Ground is not the same as common.
Ground may be the same as common. For electronic circuits, "ground" is more likely to mean "common" than to mean "earth ground" (aka "safety ground" or simply "earth").

> Ground as used correctly is used for protection and is connected to conductive housings of electrical devices.
That's "chassis ground". Which will probably be connected to "earth ground" and may or may not also be connected to "common".

Also: "ground rail" invariably refers to common/0V.

Pic related shows symbols for earth ground, chassis ground and common. Note that, in practice, they aren't always used correctly; any of them might be used to indicate common even if it's isolated from both earth ground and chassis ground.
>>
>>1012527

Ground in terms of separated extremely low voltage (SELV, <50V AC, <120V DC)(class 3 devices, which you're building) has no real meaning and is synonymous with the 0V rail.

"ground" becomes meaningful if you do

1) RF shit, where you need a ground plane as reference for your antenna
2) Low voltage (difference from SELV, this goes up to 1kV AC) where you need ground as a safety feature.

read more about Low Voltage ground, "earthing" here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system#TN_networks

read more about ground planes by googling ground planes.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.