[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup /diy/, I need some help So I have a ton of succulents, most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: DSC_0191.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0191.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
sup /diy/, I need some help

So I have a ton of succulents, most of which I've had for 2+ years without any issue. I picked pic related up a few months ago at a market (it looked healthy at the time) but within the last week it's completely deflated. I'm assuming based on my googling that it's rotting inside.

Can I still propagate this to try and save it sort of? Or is it completely toast? I've never had any other issues with other cacti or succulents I have, so I'm not sure what caused it to become like this.
>>
>>1012475
Remembering back to days of a few Botany classes, at this point, it may be best to try to salvage it by replanting it's own roots in a different pot with proper growth-inducing soil.. Of course they would have to be healthy roots and not dead.

I forgot the technical name for this process but it should work if you upkeep well.
>>
What is your climate?

In tropical conditions we can partially bury cacti with dead roots and they tend to just sprout new roots out the body or little nubs that yours has there.

The soil type sometimes doesn't matter because I have seen them shoot roots out on beach sand or even bare concrete during the wet season.

Generally they seem to be happiest when they medium, or lack there of, that they're in dries out between showers/watering
>>
>>1012507

I live in Canada, it's a purely indoor cacti.

Are you saying to just partially bury what I have? Isn't there a way to propagate it that's more robust than just shoving it in soil?
>>
bump :(
>>
>>1013084
I personally can't help you, but >>>/out/ from what I understand has a thread dedicated to plants and stuff. They might know more about this topic. Might want to go check their catalog.
>>
>>1013085
Oh sweet, thanks anon - I didn't even thinking of trying there
>>
>>1012509

Sorry. Shoving it in soil is my tried and true technique and I have actually never lost a cactus that way. I don't bother with succulents too much.

But then again totally different climates, so unless you are feeling risky or get no answers disregard my advice.

For instance I see "how to" on caring for bromeliads (air plants) and they talk about bathing them. That shit is totally alien to me. Like putting pants on dogs.

For here the best care you can give them is nailing them to a wall, fence or tieing them to a tree and they flourish.
>>
>>1012509
>canada
why waste your time with faggy cactit then

get some fatass peyote buttons they are so beautiful and not that expensive.

i started tray of like 100 cacti from seeds half sand/soil mix with cacti specific nutes

i dont have any of the cacti left, but my friend has 3, they are not growing even close to what cacti should grow like and at a slower and stringier pace than normal. southern ontario is not a cactus climate even indoors. cacti were san pedro, briggiis and p. tourch
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.