[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pottery for profit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: generic-wheel-image.jpg (27 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
generic-wheel-image.jpg
27 KB, 500x362
Hi guys!

I would like to buy a kid's pottery wheel to make some incense burners and sell them around, maybe making a few small pots.

Any suggestions?
>>
File: 74269-1001-3ww-l.jpg (36 KB, 600x333) Image search: [Google]
74269-1001-3ww-l.jpg
36 KB, 600x333
Pic related.
>>
you're better off going to a local studio/community college and taking a few classes. possibly renting out kiln space and buying studio time.

that bake clay isn't worth shit for anything other than grandma's shelf decor.
>>
>>1012452
that's the kind of info i was looking for, thanks.
>>
>>1012433
you will be fighting a million Chinese imports that sell for cents on the dollar it would cost you, you would be better served to look at what sells for a decent price and copy that model, art/studio pottery will probably sell best
>>
>>1013089
Yep. Incense burners are fully within the Chinese domain, and Asian market in general.

If you want to be making money in this business, you would have to fulfill an artistic niche that the Chinese can't fulfill a thousand miles away.
>>
>>1013128
I was thinking of making it wiccan friendly, adding pagan symbols for rituals.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6g6DJ7aUTc

only thing worth it to do.

Heres some things, just got done doing a college ceramics class last spring. I made a lot of shit.

First off the wheel needs to be a real one, not that kid bullshit. Theres a learning curve, especially for anything thats not a bowl trust me.

You would think vases, cups, or plates would be easy? Cups are if its like a bowl.

Now say you do get the wheel, the proper clay, the glazes and slits, the good tools, and lots of experience how are you going to make that shit how its supposed to be? You need a big ass fucking kiln to run as many sq ft as you plan to do to working as a chink.

There not cheap, I asked my instructor and his were like 1500. Not bad, but not cheap. The biggest thing besides for taking care of it and getting it is the electric bill. They bring the temperature up slow and very high, and then down slowly to prevent cracking. When he ran kiln's they were on for two days.

Also there were art majors around our basic bitch class with some good art stuff and I talked to them. They sell their shit at art fairs and make like 200-500 bucks that day, but the thing is they can spend an entire week on one piece. To them its fun though, to someone looking for $$$$ its better to go get a minimum wage job you'll make more after the math and your time.

I thought about it too and the video I posted is the only way I think you could make any kind of bullshit money, but it takes a lot of work and metallurgy as well. I think Beer Steins are probably the best small market imo. or just joint/weed ashtrays
>>
>>1013959
Those ornate beer steins are kinda silly. No one would actually use those.

A nice chilled clay mug on the other hand might be nice to have in summer. And you don't need to do mold castings for those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMXcAEjCBdk
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.