[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me identify the problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: ceiling-leak-drip.jpg (10 KB, 400x351) Image search: [Google]
ceiling-leak-drip.jpg
10 KB, 400x351
I know this might not be completely /diy/ related but I think this is the best board to ask this question. I'm going to green text it for faster understanding.
>live and own an apartment on the 4th out of 5 floors in a building
>couple years ago small leaks start to appear on my ceiling after heavy rains
>ask my upstairs neighbor if he also has leaks, he says that he doesn't
>think nothing of it until the leaks start to become more and more prevalent after each rain
>realize the upstairs neighbor actually has some kind of terrace built
>I tell him that his terrace is causing the leakage
>he says he would fix it and notifies me that he fixed it but I still have leaks
So, my theory is that his terrace doesn't actually have any water insulation and that is causing the leakage. What do you think could be causing the leaks ? I'm asking this because I need to confront him about it and tell him exactly what to fix because obviously he is incapable of doing that himself.
Pic kinda related but not mine.
>>
Check if any drainage tubing from the terrace is passing over your ceiling, the terrace may be well insulated but the tube may be leaking.
>>
Report it to the landlord/Site owner.

Doubt we can help you with this one desu.
>>
>>1012351
>Report it to the landlord/Site owner.
yep

>>1012349
>some kind of terrace built
is that implying it wasn't part of the original structure?

it's pretty obvious where it would be coming from, though who knows what it could take to fix it....it's certainly not any of your responsibility
>>
I also would not recommend you to fix it because you will be liable then if it gets worse...
>>
>>1012350
This was the type of information I was looking for. I didn't really think of that possibility by myself. Thank you.
>>1012351
>>1012354
I own the apartment, I have no landlord only a building manager. I reported it to him and he said the guy who owns the apartment should fix it. My issue with that is that he has tried to fix it 2-3 times without any success so now I want to "help" him and give him some advice as in what to actually do.
>is that implying it wasn't part of the original structure?
Yes. The top level apartments were bare brickwork and the owners could opt for whatever they like.
>>
>>1012377
Why in the fuck did you buy an apartment? You don't even own the land. What the fuck?
>>
>>1012378
I live in Eastern Europe. We have different property rules.
>>
>>1012378
>>1012379

Sounds more like what we call a condo in America.
>>
File: thug-peeing-rug.jpg (33 KB, 317x444) Image search: [Google]
thug-peeing-rug.jpg
33 KB, 317x444
>>1012349
>tell him you're serious about not having a swimming pool in your apartment, you dont want any trouble and you've tried to be reasonable and patient but you dont feel he's being reasonable about the situation and ask him to hire a plumber to fix the leak because it has failed to be repaired X amount of times so you are concerned about damage to your apartment

>contact building management and ask what to do
fix'd

Or;
>pay a drainage plumber to determine the source of the leak
>when he determines the owner upstairs is responsible if that is the case then you write a formal letter to the owner of the upstairs apartment stating that he must remedy the damage to your apartment and repair the drainage leaks.
>HE is responsible for damage to your apartment
>if he had his terrace built by someone else then he can pass on the bill to that company for not installing it properly

you shouldn't feel bad at all for demanding he literally stop pissing on your rug.
>>
>>1012377
>The top level apartments were bare brickwork and the owners could opt for whatever they like.
I can't exactly picture what you mean...

but if the area above the leak is open to the outside, my first suggestion would be to make sure there is proper drainage
>>
>>1012382
I see. I'm unfamiliar with those terms. I thought that an apartment just means a unit in a building.
But yes I own a condo by your definition.
>>1012383
>>1012391
I actually already got reimbursed by my insurance and he doesn't have to pay anything but I can't even begin to repair it because it is leaking constantly.
I managed to contact him meanwhile and he said he is going to re-do the whole part in the terrace where there is a leak. Hopefully I won't have to turn this legal.
>>
>>1012498
well at least he's willing to do something about it

how does he know where the leak would be? or is it just going to be a guess based on the dripping?
>>
>>1012508
He has already seen where it leaks in my place and it is going to be a guess. I don't want him guessing again and that's why I wanted to be as specific as I can. I will offer him my help but he isn't obligated to take it.
>>
>>1012515
When he has it opened up he should make sure it stops leaking before he finishes the terrace again.
>>
>>1012800
This. Have him take a water hose to it or something.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.