[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most effective and efficient frame
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4
File: i need my deposit back dammit.png (19 KB, 1145x494) Image search: [Google]
i need my deposit back dammit.png
19 KB, 1145x494
I'm in an apartment and I don't want to screw with the wall studs or ceiling joists. There isn't enough space for a turtledog stand or whatever else. My only option is to build a frame that spans the width of the room and stabilize it.

I've narrowed two that look like the best.

Option 1 is a horizontal 2x2 ontop of 2 2x1 nailed together and have the hammock eyebolted to the vertical 2x1.

Option 2 is a horizontal 2x2 betwen 2 2x1 with gussets at each end and the hammock eyebolted to the horizontal.

Reason I'm using 2 2x1 for vertical support is for cost. It's cheaper than a 2x2.
>>
option 2 in doubling up the material holding you up, but mounting in option one with cripples under the top piece, and make sure the top piece is mounted in such a way that the load going into it is though it's thickest plane

and good luck having this hold you up i wouldn't build this with anything smaller than 2x4 pieces, though i'd probably double them up and make a frame

or i'd stop being a bitch and use steel 2x2 square tubing and weld it quick and dirty, and never have to worry about it shaking apart
>>
>>1012262

Other than the fact that 2x2 and 2x1(?) trying to hold up the weight of a person, and my understanding that you are only building one of these "frames" I really dont think this will work for anything useful.

What keeps the frame from just falling over from its own weight, two legs of lumber won't do that. Plus I dont think I've ever seen a place actually sell a "2x1" board.
>>
File: fml.jpg (32 KB, 479x359) Image search: [Google]
fml.jpg
32 KB, 479x359
>>1012623
Yeah.. I fucked that up
1) you're right. 2x4s, not 2x1s
2) and this is to hang a hammock for my fat ass

so option 1 is 2x4s nailed together in vertical and horizontal supports

option 2 will likely have eyebolts on the side
>>
File: option 2.jpg (18 KB, 213x341) Image search: [Google]
option 2.jpg
18 KB, 213x341
again 2x4s nailed together like in picture except gussets will align with the supports and not in the middle like this guy did
>>
File: ffs.png (19 KB, 1145x494) Image search: [Google]
ffs.png
19 KB, 1145x494
>>
As long as the frame stays upright and doesn't wobble around when you are getting up and down from the hammock then you're fine with any common sense approach to framing it. Both options you have there still rely on the pull-out strength of any eye bolt you use.

Just dont rely on your fasteners to take all the load, or if you do use some kind of lag screw, bolts, or all-thread and nuts/washers. Let the lumber bear on lumber and take loads down to the floor, same concept that is used when a house is framed.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.