[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a Guitar Case
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: case1.jpg (7 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
case1.jpg
7 KB, 194x259
To hold my amp and all applicable gear, like pic related. Mine will be shorter and wider (45" high by 35" wide), and will hold the amp, a slide out tray for pedals, and drawers for miscellaneous storage. It will also have a section to slide my guitar case in.

Anyone done anything like this before? Got any advice? The goal is to have my entire rig in one enclosed case that can fit in my truck, and require minimal setup.

I found a nice website for hardware and such - http://www.diyroadcasesstore.com/

Any thoughts appreciated
>>
File: case2.jpg (75 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
case2.jpg
75 KB, 600x600
OP, "guitar case" like I said in title isn't really a good description, it's more like a guitar rig/road case. Here's another example
>>
>>1012102
You could build something quite similar. It would basically be angle aluminum, plywood, and then 2x2 for bracing inside.

Case work like this requires symmetry for it to be solid and look good, so having a table saw would be be beneficial. If that's not an option, a circular saw with and edge guide would work, but you'd likely end up with more waste. The top and bottom panels need to be the exact same width, and the side panels need to be the exact same heigth, and they all have to have the exact same depth. I'd recommend motoring the corners at 45 degrees, and using a router to create a rabbet(rebate if you're a bong) joint on the back side so you can slip the back panel in snugly. This will help make it more ridgid. If you're going to cover it in tolex or another material you can frame the inside with the 2x2s with glue and screw through the plywood into the 2x2. Solid. Cover holes with wood putty and sand flush before covering. Leaving it bare will require more work, because exposed screws and wood putty look ugly.

Also, if you're doing this because you think it will be cheaper than buying one maybe reconsider after you price materials, those company's get cheaper materials and get them at a discount.

For example, you can buy a decent guitar case for $100, to make one of equal or slightly better quality (at least when I priced it) I would have paid $150.

If you're doing this because you can't find what you want or want the experience have at it.
>>
>>1012305
Yeah, I'm mainly doing it because I want such a specific finished product, and also for the experience cause I like building stuff. I have access to a table saw, and other tools that I'd need...

I've been wondering though about the wood for the walls.. I don't know whether to go with 1/4", 3/8", or 1/2", to me I can't really judge sturdiness from thickness since it will be different when it's all put together anyway. Is 1/4" enough or is it worth it to get the heavier boards?

Is there a type of plywood I should look for that's really smooth?

After I paint the boards, what kind of coating should I put on them?
>>
>>1012537
3/4" ply would be what I used, that would make it most ridgid. You can get sanded ply that's smooth, you can also get veneered hardwood ply that's more appealing to the eye if left bare, and you could stain or clearcoat later, think wooden furniture. If you want a more traditional finish you can paint it or put tolex or something on it. Tolex is the black stuff that normally covers amps. It comes in several colors, and sometimes you can find tweed. You may be able to find some kind of plastic laminate to put over the ply, or maybe even get someone to do artwork on it then clear coat it or put plexiglass over it. Possibilities are really endless, it can look however you want it do. Diamond plate steel for example.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.