[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have this old Bose boombox that sounds better than anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 350x336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 350x336
I have this old Bose boombox that sounds better than anything I've ever heard for its footprint (Bose AW-1). So I still use it by hooking it up to my phone with the aux jacks in the back. Works great in my bedroom.

Problem is my Kill-a-watt tells me that the boombox consumes a steady 40 watts when it is turned on, even when it's not playing anything. So I always have to remind myself to flip the power to off when I'm done with it. If it sucked only a few watts while idling I wouldn't mind leaving it on all the time. Are there any mods I can do to reduce this power consumption?
>>
>>1011920
>Are there any mods I can do to reduce this power consumption?

Sure

Add a signal detection circuit that turns the unit off after the input has idled for a while
>>
>>1011920
Write "turn me off when not in use" on the front.
>>
>>1011935
It's 2016
>>
bumping for the signal detection circuit
>>
>>1011922
Anything off the shelf out there for this?
>>
>>1011920
Bose wave radios have no off button, the audio chip they use only has a mute function. your mod is a line cord switch.
>>
>>1011920
Mechanical Power-point Timer
>>
>>1012348
Sure!

Just get a "master-off"/"intelligent" extension lead, and a generic phone dock (as you appear to have a generic phone).

Plug the phone charger into the master socket, and the bose into one of the switched sockets, and the bose will only be on when the phone is in the dock and therefore plugged into the charger.
>>
>>1011920
>sounds good
those consumer boxes just use a standard amp on chip with minimal interfacing circuitry.
you can literally get the same if not better quality from 20$ boards off aliexpress and then spend the rest of the money on something better than fucking paper cones.

>kill-a-watt
>measuring an inductive load on an AC circuit with some mickey mouse piece of shit
i have amazing news for you. your house has an accurate calibrated watt meter built into the fucking wall you retard. how do you access it? well you go outside, flip every breaker in the box except for the one circuit you want to use in your house. then you go and make sure everything is turned off on that circuit. now check the power meter. if its still counting up, something is still powered. so go turn all your shit off again. ok now its not counting anymore. plug in your shit, walk out to the meter and run a stop watch for 60 seconds and count how many watts it counts up.

kill-a-watts can barely measure the power consumption of an incandescent lamp accurately.
>>
>>1012372
bose use a propriety transmission-line configuration in those systems, which has more to do with the sound than the amp it has inside.

OP, you would be better off removing the guts and running the speaker wires out of the unit into a different amp, basically turning it into a passive box.
this way you could use an amp with lower idle current and more options for connection without compromising sound quality.
>>
File: img_0.jpg (152 KB, 431x418) Image search: [Google]
img_0.jpg
152 KB, 431x418
>>1012376
they're really not that fancy. only the bass speaker has transmission lines. the mids and treble speakers are in shitty shallow boxes barely the depth of the drivers.
>>
>>1012372
I challenge you to find a boombox of comparable size that has better sound. Mind you, this thing is about 5-6" deep from front to back. Ive tried so many different stereos over the years. Everything else in its size range, old or new, sounds thin and shitty and lacks the rich tone of the Bose.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.