[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/, newcomer here. Recently bought myself a house. Already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: recessed-lighting-1.jpg (168 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
recessed-lighting-1.jpg
168 KB, 640x480
Hey /diy/, newcomer here. Recently bought myself a house. Already have a project I want to do, I want to install recessed LED cans in the whole house. I have a question or two, though.

Is it a bad idea to just install the cans in place of where the previous lights were? I do notice that most people seem to put several of them per room; can I not just install a big one and be done with it?

Also, is there some kind of rule for how many should be installed per foot?
>>
>>1011448
a big one means you need it brighter to lit up the whole room

more light means more equal lighting across the room

the only rule should be enough lumen for the space but this is also largely depending on your interior design

so if you have no idea... just install over old ones
>>
being recessed means they cast their light mostly downwards, so to get even lighting, you have to have a lot of them or else you get dark areas. i had a bunch of 12V halogens before, and just had to replace the bulbs, since you can get LED with MR16 type sockets. so, it only took like 3 mins per lamp to replace.
>>
>>1011454
Alright, that makes sense. Is there still decent energy saving even though you've got multiple cans where previously there was only 1 fixture?
>>
>>1011510
It is simple maths, if your old lighting is 100w, then you can install 10x 10w led, that will use the same amount of energy...

If you use 9x 10w leds, then you will be using 90w

etc etc
>>
>>1011517
With an exception.... A lot of led lights advertise "equivalent wattage". Make sure you do the math with the real wattage. If your buying led bulbs that are 10w but it's advertising "50w equivalent" then you might put in 2 instead of 10
>>
>>1011517
>>1011693
Thanks guys. I guess I will start planning to drill new holes for the cans.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.