[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where are the carving bros at? I'm looking to get into carving/whittling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: spoon-carving-rig-spoons-etc.jpg (1 MB, 3693x2094) Image search: [Google]
spoon-carving-rig-spoons-etc.jpg
1 MB, 3693x2094
Where are the carving bros at? I'm looking to get into carving/whittling while I'm /out/, but I'm not sure where to start. I've seen a particular sort of hook blade used in threads here before (on the right in pic related). Should I acquire one? Is it practical to carve things out of wood you find in the forest?
>>
>>1011286
http://www.dickblick.com/products/sculpture-house-wood-carving-tool-set/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=33002-1009&gclid=CJ6pldDJtc0CFYE8gQodDUEMzA
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/05Q10/8D-SPOON-GOUGE-7MM.aspx?gclid=CLP7kNvJtc0CFUI9gQodGE4OQA

No first hand experience, I just heard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krAIHRCx9R0 call it a gouge.
>>
>>1011286
>Is it practical to carve things out of wood you find in the forest?
Working green wood is generally not a great idea because it will shrink and crack.
>>
>>1011286
If you can find 'recently dead' wood it's generally not too bad after a bit of drying out and checking for bugs, fungus and shit. Smaller pieces you can do in a microwave as well if you're careful.
Green timber takes a while to dry naturally and you've got to clean the bark off it, seal the ends and generally prep it for storage away somewhere.

Most of it is a pain in the arse, but I still go out after storms and see if I can find a few interesting bits with natural bends
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.