[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Economical Pull Up/Bodyweight Bar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: 71MDXnYZhVL._SL1500_[1].jpg (81 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71MDXnYZhVL._SL1500_[1].jpg
81 KB, 1500x1500
Hey /diy/,

I just moved from an apartment to a house, and I can no longer use a door-mounted pull up bar because they fuck up your doorframes, and I would like to keep my brand new house looking nice.

That being said, I started looking around for a floor mounted pull up bar. It can't be too expensive, right? Fucking wrong. The cheapest ones I can find are like $100. So that's bullshit right? It's just a few metal bars, how hard could it be to make one myself.

So I'd like to ask you guys: what would the most economical, yet functional way to make my own pull up or bodyweight bar like pic related be?

Could I get away with making this thing out of PVC? Would it support a 150lb guy? Let me know what you think. Also, I can't weld and have no equipment to do so, so that's kind of out.
>>
>>1011251
PVC isn't suitable for that. Use dimensioned lumber and nuts/bolts. 2x4s for the verticals and base, 2x2s for diagonal braces. Steel round bar would be best for the grip bar itself.
>>
You could make one easy like your pic, which isn't mounted, it's free standing, out of dimensional lumber and black iron pipe.

If that's not ridgid enough, I can think of a very solid design using those materials, would probably cost about $60 at the most.

PVC probably won't work. It flexes, and it's lightweight, you want something heavy to work against your movements so it doesn't rock or tip.
>>
>>1011261
Thinking about it though, if it's going to work as well as it needs to and you price materials to be less than $50 in savings I'd just buy the pre made one, it'll likely work better in the long run
>>
>>1011266
Ah ok, thanks for the advice. I figured you might be able to buy the material for much less. I was looking at galvanized steel piping at Lowes and other materials, and it seems you're right. There really isn't that much savings.
>>
File: power rack.jpg (337 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
power rack.jpg
337 KB, 2560x1920
if you are going the /diy/ way, why not make a power rack like pic related?
just stay away from slim wood pieces and plastic stuff

>inb4 local man found dead by homemade guillotine, neighbors heard a "lower, u faggot" shout before the accident was reported
>>
>>1011268
Yep, no problem. You could always check local building materials suppliers too, they may have a better price. Plumbing supply or lumber yard. But with plumbing you'll get screwed on fittings and with lumber you'll get screwed on fasteners. No pun intended.
>>
>>1011270
Some dude got materials to build a guillotine from my local home depot, then assembled it in a wooded area within walking distance. Took about a week, he used it, face down, only cut halfway, he didn't die quickly.
>>
File: 5s8VOfA.png (688 KB, 1292x854) Image search: [Google]
5s8VOfA.png
688 KB, 1292x854
>>1011274
>*swoosh*
>>
Which is why you should use round bar instead of pipe, which is more expensive to manufacture. Check a local steel supplier and ask if they have any cutoff scraps around the size you need. If not, buying at regular price would still be a lot less than galvanized pipe.
>>
>>1011276

Why even bother with galvanized in the first place?
Its not going outside so fuck corrosion and if you're trying to weld the piece of shit you're liable to get the zinc fever.
>>
>>1011275
I lold.

I was talking about this
http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2007/09/16/localnews/20070916-archive6.txt
>>
>>1011283
It's going to be sweaty, so it should be painted. I'm guessing that that's why OP mentioned galvanized pipe >>1011268.
>>
>>1011287
thats extremely sad, but at least he hurt only himself (so many crazies these days decide to hurt innocents before offing themselves)

>>1011309
galvanized pipe would work ok for the upright portions of the booby-trap, but for the horizontal portions its a bet, the pipe can buckle under the stress

imo, i would still make some sort of wood contraption and them buy a olybar (or olybar alike solid core bar, great price if used, $50 new) for the pullup bar (wood handles compression pretty fine and is cheap)
>>
>>1011251
Go to the park? They often have a pull-up bar.
That would be the most economical, if you have a park nearby.
>>
File: Pendulum.gif (131 KB, 390x458) Image search: [Google]
Pendulum.gif
131 KB, 390x458
>>1011287
>"The guillotine was about 6 feet tall and was partially affixed to a tree when it was discovered, Covert said. It was not a traditional guillotine, but rather had a swinging arm with a blade on it."
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 499x281
>>
>>1011593
>tfw you don't have a local park, you live in suburbia
>>
>>1011251
I have the frame in your pic.
For $90 it's about as good as it's going to get.
>>
>>1011879
And they don't even have those colorful and cheap children's playground?
>>
File: Suicide+helmet_cc9d39_5813763.jpg (147 KB, 780x928) Image search: [Google]
Suicide+helmet_cc9d39_5813763.jpg
147 KB, 780x928
>>1011287
reminds me of pic related
>>
>>1013312
This fails to mention he did this to spite his parents for grounding him from his bike and he actually made his mom trigger it by flipping a light switch.
>>
>>1011274
Height, they always underedtimate how high that thing needs to go up to have enough force to cleave a neck. M*A=F
>>
>>1013379
So they just need to put some weight on top of the blade.
Reminds me of a guy who made a timer for his guillotine and took sleeping pills so he wouldn't have second thoughts.
>>
File: pullupbar.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
pullupbar.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
just mount one to the ceiling
>>
>>1013386
some years ago i read in the newspaper that a guy built a cross in his yard and got arrested when he could only nail up one arm and called for his neighbor to help
>>
>>1013418
I did this when I lived in a really crappy apartment with high ceilings.

Had gymnastics rings and a heavy bag too.

It was fucking amazing.
>>
>>1013419
I can't imagine how he would be able to nail both arms.
>>
>>1014941
But then I just realized that he was crucifying himself in his backyard, so he can't have been that bright!
>>
>>1014942
He should have sold tickets and called it art.
It would have been a hit.
>>
>>1014946
Or maybe call it a religious experience and then sold tickets. I don't like controversial art, it's just like being famous for being famous.
>>
>>1014941
In twisted metal black (the edgy one) the priest crucified himself by putting the nail through the back of the board then slamming his arm against it after he nailed the first hand.
>>
>>1014961
>twisted metal black
Never played that game, but hooking yourself onto the cross would work.
But I guess you would have to tie your body to the cross first to hammer in your feet.
Unless you also impale them.
>>
>>1011270
I built this last week. For the life of me I don't know why this idiot didn't just use 4x4s. The holes are a lot more labor intensive to drill, but I feel a fuckton better about than if I were to be using this glue job.
>>
File: Archer-gang-19.jpg (33 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
Archer-gang-19.jpg
33 KB, 500x300
>>1011251
Just tape it up, use a buffer.
>>
>>1013341
Tantrum level: master
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.