[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
indoor screen door
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Cartoon.jpg (96 KB, 581x475) Image search: [Google]
Cartoon.jpg
96 KB, 581x475
Have a finished attic and it really cooks up there when it gets hot outside. There is one window, but it doesn't do much good since the doorway is closed to keep pets out.

I'd like to somehow add a screen door or at least a frame, so a large fan can be used to draw out the hot air.

Just happen to have an old metal one lying around, plus some new hinges, although they weren't meant for that.

Would it just be easier to remove the door while it's hot and replace it with the screen door? I'd rather not have to do that....but will do some measuring.
>>
>>1011032
Its a screen door. Just put it on the other side of the frame like you would any screen door.
>>
>>1011032

why would you want to draw that air into the rest of the house?

Would adding an air return in the attic to your furnace and adding a window AC unit make things considerably more comfortable? This the route I went even with two windows open and the stair door wide open there wasn't any noticeable change.
>>
>>1011039
i imagine he's going to put a fan in the window. he needs the screen to put in the door to the house so he can suck the house air into the attic room.
>>
>>1011040
I guess i should add that if OP plans on having a tv or any kind game station or stations it might not help much in my experience.

Shit runs hot.
>>
>>1011034
it's not that simple

the door opens out and thus has the jamb on that side, a screen door next to it would also have to open out because of the orientation of the door...but it physically would not be able to, because of the jamb

planning on simply swapping out the door

>>1011039
the air would come in downstairs windows, be drawn up to the attic, then blown out

there is no AC...and it's not exactly cheap

>>1011040
bingo...up and out

>>1011056
not really, not regularly
>>
>>1011060
Look into whole house fans (not attic fans). Cost a few hundred bucks but they are pretty easy to DIY install and are a lot less hassle. Since you already have easy access to the attic thats like 60% of the job right there.
>>
>>1011072
I already have a large, powerful fan

it the airflow that's the problem
>>
>>1011032
>1980s
>me as a little kid
>never seen a screen door before
>parents install a screen door on the sliding patio door
>not 1 minute after they are done I come running from inside and run right through it
>didn't even see it there, just thought it was a little overcast outside or something
>an hour later the dog does the same thing
>>
OP back again

after 2.5 cutting discs, a lot of bolts, and many more naughty words, I got it working...it sticks a bit but hopefully the humidity will fix that a little
>>
>>1011032
Why not add a door with vents?
>>
I fucking hate screen doors
>>
>>1011340
I don't have one
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.