[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into gears. I found out I need gears fast for a project
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
How do I into gears.
I found out I need gears fast for a project but I don't have the tools to make wooden gears and shit.
Is there any other way I can make gears?

I need ideas.
>>
>>1010396
what project
>>
>>1010397

A laser cutter and a gripper for a robot.
>>
>>1010396
>I need gears
>I dont have the tools
Oh dear. Nothing could require you to have a set of gears in a days time and not have a machining budget/shop. Jesus, what a faggot.

That said, look up paper clocks.
>>
>>1010399
Sounds like you need a laser cutter to make some gears.
>>
Look at the youtube video's from Matthias wandel , he makes wooden gears and even made drawing software for this.
>>
>>1010432
or a robot could make them also.
>>
>>1010436
OP already said he doesn't have the means, if you think he's as well equipped as Matthias to make gears, you probably have dyslexia.
>>
>>1010454
What is well equipped? All you need is a jigsaw. You could use a hack saw and rasp if you're so desperate. Having a bandsaw is an advantage but not absolutely necessary.

https://youtu.be/80bgLQuCLuk
>>
>>1010396
You have to give a little bit more info on that: what tools do you have? Do you have at least a drill? How are you making the rest of laser cutter or robot gripper? How much money you have? What is the size of gears? How many do you need? What is a gear ratio?
You can buy pre-made gears from plastic or steel. Look at Mcmaster-Carr.
You can cut them from wood with cheap fret saw or maybe even with jig saw.
You can 3d print them. Look at 3d Hubs.
>>
If the size of the gear isn't too important (say, if you're using stepper motors, and have the ability to dick around with the software), perhaps you could try finding broken printers and disassembling them? You can usually get them from hard waste collectors for next to nothing if you ask nicely.
>>
>>1010396
Print them out on paper, cut them out, stick them onto foam with pritt stick, cut them out with a hot wire cutter, peel off the paper, bury them in greensand, pour in Aluminium or whatever.

>???????
>Profit??
>>
File: 010801 (1).jpg (178 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
010801 (1).jpg
178 KB, 1000x1000
I had this stupid idea of making a customized desk clock, and for that I'd need some gears. Where to get them? Because the ratios are kinda weird (86400:3551 ...), I'll probably need quite many and I don't know if there are any "standard" sizes/types that I could use. And of course I'm living in a european backwater, so that doesn't help either..
>>
File: husky dog mildly disgusted.jpg (12 KB, 277x307) Image search: [Google]
husky dog mildly disgusted.jpg
12 KB, 277x307
>>1010681
>86400:3551
>desktop clock
>pic related

The fuck are you driving this thing with? The second/minute/hour dials are simple 60:1 ratios, and, barring any sort of electronic standard, I can't imagine why you'd use a timekeeping mechanism that itself had a period that wasn't a reasonable fraction of a second...

Additionally, I'm curious as to how you expect to make this thing when you can't even make the gears. Yeah, they're difficult and expensive to manufacture, IF they need to be compact and handle relatively high loads. They're dead simple otherwise. You could freehand a drawing on some scrap ply and cut it out with a coping saw; as long as the teeth mesh _at all_, they'll still work to a minimum capacity.
>>
>>1010692
>>1010681
3551 seconds to the hour
u wot m8.
what planet is this.
>>
why not just buy them ?

http://www.sdp-si.com/products/Gears/Index.php
>>
>>1010614
>you could try finding broken printers and disassembling them?

I was thinking that, but the gears have a round hole in the middle and my motors have a square like shaft.
wat do
>>
>>1010711
Heat motor post, press plastic gear into place.
>>
File: sol_clock_face.png (36 KB, 469x469) Image search: [Google]
sol_clock_face.png
36 KB, 469x469
>>1010698
>what planet is this

Mars.

>>1010702
Thanks mate, that looks pretty reasonable place. I hope the shipping costs won't kill.

>>1010692
If I wanted just a standard 60/60/12 clock, I wouldn't be building a custom one...

Anyways I think I made some mistake earlier, double-checked the numbers and the actual ratio I think I need is 144:3551. I don't know where that extra 600 got in previously.

I just don't think hand-cut wooden gears are going to cut it here. Those Wandel guys gears look nice enough, but they are like order of magnitude bigger than what I think I need here.
>>
>>1010879
You building a clock that tells the time in Swatch Internet Time?

Can you tell me how many @beats it is now?
>>
Anyone knows of a program where I can make gears ready to be 3D printed?
>>
>>1010879
>I just don't think hand-cut wooden gears are going to cut it here.

No, seriously, you don't really have a reason to need precise gears.

They're under almost no load.

They (I'm assuming) don't need to be terribly small.

You (again, assuming) are driving them from an effectively-infinite supply of power (that is to say, having to re-wind the thing or raise a weight every 20 minutes isn't a concern).

Go ahead and use Wandel's gear generator. Print out some templates. Plywood (or even plastic) and a coping saw/file/sandpaper. It'll work, if you're willing to spend the time to make them rather than the money to buy them.
>>
>>1011776
Solidworks I believe has alot of standard size gears. There are many helpful videos on how to make "smart gears" which are function driven
>>
File: image_5.jpg (46 KB, 675x450) Image search: [Google]
image_5.jpg
46 KB, 675x450
What is 3D printing?
>>
>>1011776
openscad
>>
>>1011776
You could use Matthias Wandel's gear generator and then extrude the gears into a 3d model.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-20+at+01.01.02).png (127 KB, 1234x697) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-20+at+01.01.02).png
127 KB, 1234x697
>>1011776
I've been using freecad and having a blast with making all sorts of crazy gears. The learning curve might be a little steep if you're new to 3d modeling, but it's not hard to start making awesome stuff. This was the third thing I did after opening the program.
>>
>>1011776
Download the gear you want from thingiverse and dial it in. There are a ton of openscad scripts for gears.

>>1010442
What the fuck kind of robot makes gears?
>>
>>1012263
>fuck kind of robot makes gears?

Freddie Ford does
>>
>>1010724
>heat motor post
>demagnetize magnet and fug bearing
>motor is now fugd
>>
>>1010399
Not for the laser cutter. Unless you've got some high end machine tools available, homemade gears aren't going to be very good. Too much backlash and slop.

Use steel cable and drums. Use a tensioning spring to keep the cable tight. Take a look at the drive mechanisms in inkjet printers and flatbed scanners for ideas. If you really need some gear reduction, buy some junk printers and rob the mechanical guts from them.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.