[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Afternoon gents. I want to make a climbing wall in my room, probably
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: ClimbingWall (2).jpg (90 KB, 570x700) Image search: [Google]
ClimbingWall (2).jpg
90 KB, 570x700
Afternoon gents. I want to make a climbing wall in my room, probably something like pic related. Any do's and dont's? Most I see are made from plywood, any advantage to using something heavier like mdf?
>>
>>1010364
what the fuck am I reading?
How tall are your ceilings?
Are you a midget?
>>
>>1010408
Bouldering walls don't have to be tall. They often go only 10ft high. That way, when you fall, you don't die. You only need a crash pad.
>>
>>1010417
or a bed
>>
>>1010364
>plywood
>mdf

Either will work. But I'd give some thought to how the handholds will be attached. Probably a bolt with a large washer and nut on the back side. Maybe some captive nuts so you can move the handholds around.
>>
>>1010364
Go to a rock climbing gym and have a look at their setup. It's pretty straight forward.

Plywood pannels with a bunch of holes, nuts in every hole so you can move your holds around easily
>>
>>1010569

As a guy who's worked with a lot of MDF...do not use MDF.

It has literally no redeeming properties except that it's exceptionally uniform and comes with a nice, smooth surface.. It's not even substantially cheaper than low/medium-grade ply.
>>
>>1010364
>any advantage to using something heavier like mdf?
None whatsoever. Plywood is stronger due to cross-directional grain alignment. MDF is just sawdust and glue.
>>
Put a noose at the top so you can climb up and hang yourself cause you think this is cool
>>
nailing your handles into MDF will probably do the trick

:^)
>>
>>1012139
>>1012155
this is what passes for shitposting here? hoho...
>>
>>1010364
3/4 inch plywood (IMPORTANT)
Lots of base support
Sand/paint the plywood, slick for hard mode
T-nuts to back holds

Pick up a copy of Self Coached Climber or really anything by Eric Horst for ideas on how to make good use of your wall for training.
>>
>>1012264
>T-nuts to back holds
What do you think of screw on holds vs bolt on?
>>
>>1012701
Bolt ons are good if you ever plan on resetting your wall. Screw ons are good if you don't.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.