[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be me >Buy chainsaw on craigslist for fathers day >Runs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: 1466201004551-96964757.jpg (818 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
1466201004551-96964757.jpg
818 KB, 2048x1350
>Be me
>Buy chainsaw on craigslist for fathers day
>Runs strange when I test it; assume it's old premix
>Take it home
>Fresh premix
>Start it
>Inconsistent idle from start to start
>One start it will Go full blow forever
>Next it barely idles, lasts 5 seconds
>Next it idles perfectly and responds to throttle well
>Randomly dies 30 seconds later
>Google it
>Laundry list of possible problems
Can /diy/ help me narrow it down to just a few things so maybe I can have it working by SundAy?
>>
Air filter clogged, spark plug gap/corrosion/replace, loose throttle
>>
>>1010196

to be honest, get rid of it and invest somw money into a stihl.

german tools are investments for life. You buy one and it lasts forever.
>>
>>1010199
Okay I 're did the fuel line just because and I checked the air filter it was clogged. Now it's at least consistent
>Choke
>yank
>Tries to start
>Choke off
>Yank
>Screams like a banshy
>Dies 30 seconds later
This is with No air filter. What do?
>>
>>1010208
>Implying I have money
I got this thing for a year old motorcycle battery from a dead bike of mine (blew the tranny, just parting it out)
>>
>>1010208
>German last forever

Unless the tool is a daily driver.
>>
>>1010196
1.) Air Filter (Take it off and try to run it for a bit. See what happens.)
2.) Debris/drugs in tank. (See 3)
3.) Carb gunked up with old fuel, trash from tank, degraded fuel lines or ate gaskets. Flush it with carb cleaner (The little jets) check float bowl.
4.) Check plug and make sure it's clean, gaped properly and set fully.

If spark is good, and fuel is good, timing could be off (key/wheel, whatever) and then it's fucked totally and you might as well jam it up your ass in that case.
>>
>>1010215
>(Take it off and try to run it for a bit. See what happens
See
>>1010212

I also looked in the carb. No gunk to be found; gaskets look good, fuel lines look decent.
Gas tank looks good
Fuel filter looks nearly New
The spark looks like it might be weak but I don't see how that would make it fire too fast
>>
Stihl in the truck.
>>
>>1010219
Check the needle under the diaphragm, sometimes they like to get shitty or gunk likes to get under the needle lever and not let it depress all the way
>>
>>1010219
It sounds like it's got to be a carb problem or maybe caused by ethanol in fuel. I had a 2 stroke that would do fucked up shit with even 15% ethanol.

Have you googled the chainsaw model and idling problems? It looks old enough that people may have already figured this out.
>>
>>1010293
maybe crack in fuel line from ethanol.
>>
Carb varnish, old gas. Buy some seafoam from AutoZone and run it through the gas tank. Pull the rope several times to get the carb saturated and Let it sit for an hour.
>>
>>1010196
>Acts like WOT or stalls
Did you check the throttle?
>>
Firstly dude don't buy old cheap chainsaws. If you are only cutting stuff the odd time and cutting very little that's fine.
If you are cutting firewood every year than you need to buy a new chainsaw. And you need to spend the mone and buy a professional class chainsaw not a hobby saw.
Buy husqvarna or oleo mac . Stihl are not as good as they used to me.

Anyways you checked your air filter. You checked your fuel.
Make sure to pull the choke when going near air filter so as to close the carburetor.
Look for two small holes on side of chainsaw shud be marked H and L as in high low
Thsee are for tuning engine . Get a long thin screw driver adjust them while she is running.

Also please youtube Stihl and husqvarna safety and chainsaw videos. Just to learn the basics of chainsaw use . Also if ya don't have the proper safety gear. Ar least wear eye protection and take your time cutting. Take breaks every 20 mins there's never a hurry to cut timber ok so just be careful
>>
>>1010208
or you could get a real saw like a husky/jonsered
>>
>>1010415
>Look for two small holes on side of chainsaw shud be marked H and L as in high low
>Thsee are for tuning engine . Get a long thin screw driver adjust them while she is running.
Yep that was it. I tightened them both up and slowly loosened them (also backed off the idle screw about 1 turn) and it's running flawlessly now
>>
>>1010415
Husky is shit. We cut a lot of wood every year and it's always the huskys failing while the Stihls keep going. Husky parts are also more expensive, have one that needs a new piston and it's actually cheaper to just buy a new fucking saw
>>
>>1010575
>Husky is shit
My dad's killed 3 huskies
I'll get him a stihl when he breaks this one beyond repair
>>
>>1010580
Only real downside with stihl is that they tend to be a bit heavier but I've yet to kill one and I have some that are about 30 years old
>>
>>1010588
>Heavier
In fine with indestructible weight. I'd rather carry 10 pounds of saw than 8 pounds of scrap
>>
>>1010589
Exactly. I carry about 5 different saws anyway so for small trees I generally use the small saws.
>>
stihl makes good tools..... if you can get then to start.
my husqv 455 rancher is a wood eating monster. great saw.
>>
>>1010575
what model?
The low end husky's are made by poulan.
No serious arborist uses a stihl.
>>
>>1010651
don't know exact models now but i don't buy the consumer grade shit. i've had about 4 over the past 15 years and all have failed due to engine issues

my Stihls on the other hand just keep fucking going. hell i ran one over with my combine last fall and it's perfectly fine aside from needing new plastics. any saw that can hold up to a 35k lbs combine is pretty fucking good in my books
>>
>>1010707
>i don't buy the consumer grade shit.

my piece of shit mccolloch 3200 is a weird one - all i've changed was some rotted out fuel lines and it's been great for 15+ years. all i adjust is the chain tension and it starts up on the first few pulls
>>
>>1010735
one good thing i'll say about Husky is that they do start pretty good. the one i have in the barn has a fucked piston yet it'll still fire up first pull. it has no power so it's completely fucking useless but it starts

my smaller Stihls usually take a few pulls and the bigger ones can be a real bitch sometimes, even with decompression button
>>
Look we all have our own favourite saws . As I said before I like oleo mac . But husqvarna is also good as I have found out
Had nothing but trouble with stihl.

Maybe I was using the newer models of stihl I don't know. Just not a huge fan

But for the guy who says hus father went through 3 saws . Then dude your father must be dog rough with them .

Anyways op I'm glad my advice helped ya out.

But please just youtube some if those videos as I told you .
>>
>>1010214
Or the tool has a Chaplin mustache
>>
stihl gold certified mechanic here. it's either a carb issue, or, more likely crank seals sucking air.
>>
>>1011307
You have any advice about how to get started on the path to being a mechanic? I'm currently a day laborer in college, I fix my own old ass Honda, and I want to learn more.
>>
>>1010575
Cheap stihl is shit, cheap husky is shit.
cheap shit is shit.

I just don't know why brands gave up their name and went for this "i can cover all the people" and started selling SHIT.

see bosch, makita, metabo, black&decker.
they all went down to 10-20$ range and you can only guess their quality by their price.

for example back in the days if you bought a Bosch Professional or IIRC B&D also had pro colors, they outlasted you. I still have a few of these and they still work 100% perfectly.

Now? Pfahahah.
They might outlast that one shed job you want to do.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.