[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You guys ever cut your own hair? I'm too broke for a haircut
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15
File: hanson.jpg (17 KB, 300x280) Image search: [Google]
hanson.jpg
17 KB, 300x280
You guys ever cut your own hair? I'm too broke for a haircut and got an interview on Tuesday, any advice?
>>
It would be advisable to leave it as it is.
>>
Buzz cut is almost impossible to fuck up as long as your head isn't all lumpy
>>
what >>1010140 said - but if you really cant leave it alone, its actually quite difficult (but def. not impossible) to fuck up completely, unless you complete retard. Where amateur hour really will look like shit, is 3-4 weeks afterwards.

It is also not a field where wild ambition (by self-inflicted first-timer) is advisable. Post photo head.
>>
My friend cut for me and I pay later sometimes
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 197x255) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 197x255
I've been cutting my hair for about a year now. The trick it to just go slow and don't cut to much at once. If your hairs long like op pic just pinch a small bit and cut that. Don't cut to much, you can always cut it more. And dont try to go for anything fancy, just go for a short medium kind of thing. You should be able to do pic related pretty easily.
>>
>>1010137
Buy a $20 buzzer and use the 6mm blade guard.
>>
>>1010151
Can your friend cut hair of balls? How much for cutting balls' hair
>>
>>1010137
I've been doing it for years, and it's pretty simple, but maybe not something you would want to risk doing for the first time right before an interview. Although, fuck it. If they don't want you just because of your hair then you probably don't want to work for them.

Anyway, buzz cut makes you look like you have cancer, and girls just straight up don't like super short hair, so here's what I do.

Get a razor and put the 1" attachment on it. Wet your hair a little bit so it will stick out in all crazy directions. Starting with one side of your head, use the razor to go from beneath your ear, straight up. Here's the critical part; don't shave the top of your head at all, just start on the bottom side by the neck and shave straight up. You should never let the razor wrap around to the top. I hope I'm being clear on this point. We'll come back to cutting the top later.

Anyway, keep starting from the bottom and going straight up, and do lines like this all the way around your head. Go back and do it all again a second time to make sure you got it all. You will end up doing this until you aren't getting any more hair off.

Next, remove the 1" attachment so you just have the plain razor. Comb as much hair over your ears as possible. Use the razor to go all over the edge of your ear, removing all of the hair that overhangs on to your ear. Be careful because you can slip and take a little chunk of hair out that will look like shit. Just go slow and use the edge of your ear as a guide. Comb you hair over each ear again and make sure you got it all and left a clean line. Follow up by trimming your side burns. Just use a point in your ear as a reference, and shave a straight line down, then use the same point of reference on your other ear and do it again. Just eyeball it and again be careful, but sideburns aren't that hard.

(Cont)
>>
>>1010137
wait till after, then get yourself a kit such as https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Chrome-Pro-Haircut-79524-2501/dp/B0026IBSVE

been doing it myself for a while....takes only a few minutes once you get it down, and as long as it looks relatively even, I'm satisfied

probably going to trim again later today actually
>>
>>1010172
(Cont)

The next part is a little tricky, and you may want a friend's help at first, or not.

With the razor still plugged in to the wall, get as much slack from the power cord as possible, then wrap the cord around the back of your head and pinch it tight with one hand in front of your face. Look dead on in the mirror and see that the cord is at the bottom of the ear lobe on both sides of your head. Pinch the cord really tight. What you are doing is making a straight line on the back of your head that you can use as a guide for the razor. If it's straight, and really tight, use your other hand to take the razor and shave everything beneath the cord. Don't forget to do your whole neck beneath the cord, but start by just going around from one side to the other and shaving from the cord down. You will have to play around a little to be able to reach everywhere, but you can do it. Just don't let up on the cord until you are done.

You're 80% done. Next, comb your bangs straight down towards your eyes. Comb it as straight as possible. Now use a pair of scissors to cut a V-shape out of your bangs. It shouldn't be too much of an angle, just a short, wide v. The lowest remaining part of your bangs should be right in the middle of your forehead, and shouldn't go down much farther than the bridge of your nose. It looks kind of goofy, but will look better when you part your hair. You can play around with the bangs shape a little to make it suit your face more, but less cutting is better than more cutting.

Finally, for the top. Don't cut it unless you have to. I only cut it every 3-5 haircuts. When it is really long, put the 1" spacer back on the razor, run one hand through the hair on top, and use the other hand with the razor to cut off the longest parts. The total length on top should be atleast 2" (1" from your fingers + 1" from the razor gaurd). If you ever want to attract the opposite sex, you will need a minimum of 2" or more on top. Trust me.
>>
>>1010177
Final tips, wet your bangs again before combing them straight down. They are easier to comb and cut if they are wet.

How you cut your bangs is up to you and your style. I typically part my hair in the middle, but you can shape your bangs so they fit your style better.

Seriously, don't cut the top unless you absolutely have to, and then just trim the longest tips off.

You'd be surprised how much better and cleaner you look just by doing the sides with a 1" guard and trimming around the ears. Sometimes the back, bangs, and top aren't really needed.

If you have tufts of hair sticking up around the back bottom corners, use the razor, with no gaurd, and very carefully trim the tufts off freehand. Be very careful because you can take a chunk of hair out if you're not careful and your hand slips. Cut the tufts from the bottom pushing up, so the tufts stick out farther as you are cutting. The whole tuft will stick up when you come at it from the bottom, but will just fold back down if you come from the top. Be sure to leave some hair there, just get the part that sticks out the most.

Good luck anon. Post pics.
>>
>>1010137
My friend's mom still cuts his hair and it actually looks bretty gud.
>>
not knowing about barber colleges

i can get a half decent haircut for $7
>>
File: bigcombopen.jpg (23 KB, 1038x993) Image search: [Google]
bigcombopen.jpg
23 KB, 1038x993
>>1010137
>You guys ever cut your own hair? I'm too broke for a haircut and got an interview on Tuesday, any advice?
I been cutting mine for a while now. I'm not greatly particular about my hairstyle tho, I just don't want it in my eyes or ears.

I just grab it between the fingers of my off-hand laid flat on my head and cut off whatever sticks up between my fingers. I decided to do it myself when I didn't feel like going to the barber shop and waiting, and I realized that this was the technique that was (mostly) what the barber did. It is rather scary the first time you do it, but this way you can't cut it too short,,,, the worst you will do is miss spots. And you can just cut them again.

It takes me a while to do, like ~30 minutes at least. A wall mirror and hand mirror helps but once you get used to doing it, you mostly just do it by feel.

It also helps if you have thinning shears, since they don't make a solid cut.

A razor comb helps a lot to trim the outlying hair on your neck. I have a Seki Edge and it works well, but I just put it on the lowest (shortest) setting and leave it there so maybe an adjustable one isn't necessary.... All the people on Amazon who say that they can't get it open to change the blades,,,, are retarded.

Buzzing your own hair with an electric razor is easy too, of course. I don't want mine that short tho.
>>
File: me2.jpg (299 KB, 1455x1347) Image search: [Google]
me2.jpg
299 KB, 1455x1347
I used to be a poorfig who got one too many shiddy haircuts. Aftert he last shitty haircut I had to go home and fix the sides with my beard trimmer. I even got a little brave and used the scissors to snip a couple spots that were all fucked-up. It occurred to me that if I just keep maintaining it like that (every couple days) I could keep it that way and not have to pay for a haircut anymore.

Well, that was in 2005. I haven't gotten a haircut ever since. Over the years I've bought my own trimmer, detailer, and barber's shears. I'm so goot at cutting it now that I almost don't even need a mirror and can do it all by feel. It's not godly good but it würx for me. I've saved like a thousand dollarydoos.

GO SLOW - it's gonna take a long time. Depending on your hair type do the research, there might be layering and a part that you have to keep in mind, plus cowlicks and that swirly thing in the back of your head. Get a mirror that you can hold in one hand and look at the side and back of your head in the bathroom mirror with. Trust your fingers - if one side feels longer than the other it is. Cut tiny lengths at a time - a little goes a long way. Don't do anything in a single step that's so drastic you can't "fix" it in another step if you make a mistake. GO SLOW DAMMIT
>>
>>1010216
$7*12*11=$924

man, what do you guys spend on haircuts?
>>
>>1010235
Well I lived in Boston, then Sydney, then LA, then Sydney again. In 2005 the cheepest Boston haircut was $14 plus tip. Sydney is more like $20... nowadays it's gotta be a lot moar.

Also I think I was getting like 15 haircuts a year or so... every threeish weeks
>>
>>1010137
Cut my hair for 4 or 5 years.
Don't give a fuck what it looks like desu, let it grow long until its annoying then cut it back real short, about every 6 months.
Back and sides I just go at it, hold just normal scissors near but not touching the scalp and go at it. Top I pull it up and cut it until its thin enough. Took a few times to not get bald patches.
Also washing/rinse before cutting makes it easier to cut and to tidy up after.
Cutting the opposite side looking in a mirror is confusing, hand wants to go the wrong way ask the time because its backwards reverse
>>
>>1010137

I did try it once. I borrowed an electric shear from a friend, and used it by tilting it back about 30-45 degrees, so it left some hair on my head.

Worked fucking great, didn't look too bad (mind you, I wear a ball cap 90% of the time)...so I thought I was on to something up my alley...a cheap ass hair cut...

I went to the local tractor store in Cornwall looking for some shears...they start at $300...

Haven't had a hair cut since...borrowed the shears late last year btw...
>>
>>1010237
>$14 plus tip
>Tipping for a haircut
nigga what?
>>
>>1010344
If he's tipping, he's definitely not a nigga.

>found the nigga itt
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20 KB, 493x402
>>1010346
this
>>
>mfw balding
I just shave my head once every couple days. better to be bald than balding, desu senpai
>>
File: balled_vs_balding.jpg (13 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
balled_vs_balding.jpg
13 KB, 180x180
>>1010361
>yfw
>>
>>1010235
12+3 tip, every 2 months.. 90USD a year.
>>
>before
Long curly jewlock hair so even if the cut was off by literal inches it didn't show.
>now
Buzz cut.

Easymodo senpai
>>
>>1010346
>using "nigga" as a derogatory word
Niggers are the only ones stupid enough to tip for something like this.
Do you tip your gardener? Your mailman? your mechanic? the clerk at the grocery store?
>>
>>1010144
This.
>>
>>1010137
Axle grease and a knife. Like Richard B. Riddick.
>>
>>1010612
i do tip my mailman. in return i never have peace of mind that my mailman will not leave packages on my porch in the open. he will not just shove letters through the mailslot on my door and he will make sure that everything in society works smoothly. i understand the gentleman is simply doing his job but taking the time to recognize someone who is doing their job well is part of society and part of being an adult. making friends and relationships with people who are around your house often and consistently is a long term investment. if i had a gardener i would tip him as well. then maybe instead of being job # 84 that day im the nice gentleman who likes his trees trimmed every other month and his bushes kept as short as possible while still maintaining shape. protip buddy you dont get to take it with you so make sure you use it to make your life as smooth as possible. money is great and all but a favor owed or simply someone thinking of you favorably is priceless.
>>
>>1010612
Such bait! That, or you've never worked with the public. Get out of your parent's basement kid, you may just learn something about the world.
>>
>>1010137
when are you guys gonna man the fuck up...
Hair is a sign of weakness. whenver I see a dude with long hair I know exactly how capable he is in hand to hand combat.

All of my friends and me have really short hair. No one fucks with us ever.

fuck niggers btw
>>
>>1010861
I live in a neighborhood without niggers, so my mailman always leaves packages out in the open at my front door and I've never had a box disappear.

You should reconsider your living situation.
>>
>>1010137

Some very generous places are known to provide free haircuts to unemployed persons who cannot afford it otherwise. Try calling locally owned places and barber shops, and if they say no you can ask them if they know of any place that does.
>>
>>1010861
While I agree that you should use your money wisely, you shouldn't be blackmailed for getting the services you are paying for.
If you are paying for a gardener, then they should do what you pay them for. You shouldn't be afraid that if you don't throw money at them, then they will fuck up your hedges.
Also have your mail shipped with insurance and a tracking number and you will never have to worry about it again. It costs next to nothing, and if the mailman does something as wreckless as leave it out in the open, then the post office will buy you a new whatever. If its something that is invaluable, you shouldn't be shipping it in the first place.

>>1010865
wew lad, the pizza guy is about to tell us about the world!
>>
File: Tondeuse.jpg (90 KB, 1355x900) Image search: [Google]
Tondeuse.jpg
90 KB, 1355x900
>>1010137
My advice, pic related.
>>
>>1010144
This but have someone else do the back of your head - me and my brother do it for years this way.
>>
>>1010874
shit posting on /diy/ is a ban-able offense. you should know this.
>>
File: hair.jpg (313 KB, 1392x1392) Image search: [Google]
hair.jpg
313 KB, 1392x1392
I think you always need somebody to help you with part of it, but you have to be a total fucking idiot not to understand how to cut man's hair

You just cut in a grade from the bottom to the top, and then straighten the lines around the ears and neck with the buzzer.

pic related is when I cut my own hair, but like I said to cut the back right you should probably get some help
>>
>>1011427
>You just cut in a grade

What does that even mean
>>
>>1010137
I cut my own hair and I've been doing it for close to 10 years now.

I use electric clippers and start with a low comb to get the back and sides the lengths that I want. I then move onto a larger comb to do the taper between the shorter areas and the longer top. Sometimes I'll use a longer comb on top and then work into it with scissors, other times I'll just go straight onto scissors.

To do the neckline and make it neat I hold a mirror up with my back to the main mirror, place my hand as a barrier and then use the clippers with no comb at all, rinse and repeat on the other side. It can be easy to fuck up but I've never made it so bad I had to shave my head.

I can't be doing too badly, most people are surprised when I tell them I cut it myself.
>>
>>1010137
They're expensive, but Wahl trimmers last forever. Six on the top, five on the back, four on the sides, trim detail by freehand with the cover off.
>>
>>1010144
this.

I was at aldi, and they had conair electric hair cutters for 13 bucks. I always use number 2 (1/4 inch) when I buzz my head.
>>
Yep, i only use a clippers and end up with a 50s dad look.
Start with an 8 blade and shave all your back, all your sides. Shave up over the ridge of thr lateral suture, aka more top than side. Shave up over where your bald spot in back would start. Leave the front for now, and as much as your hand will cover if you line your palm base up with your hairline.
Put on a 4 blade. Shave sides straight up to the suture but not over. Shave back of neck up to bald spot area but not past.
Clip around your ears. The nape of your neck will either have to be a friend or a set of mirrors.
Comb over to one side and clip anything going way past clean looking. Then comb the opposite way and do the same thing. Now down the middle and clip any stragglers even with the rest of them.
>>
https://thisiskatieslife.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/how-to-get-a-legit-free-haircut/
>>
Always cut my own but I just use a set of clippers and get it as short as possible.
>>
File: 140994639622.jpg (7 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
140994639622.jpg
7 KB, 220x220
>>1011427
Where did your ear lobe go? Did you cut it off?
>>
>>1010162
Will I look like that after I'm done?
>>
>>1011442
He meant degree
>false cognate
>>
>>1010137
I've been cutting my own hair for years
It's not too hard if your bathroom has multiple mirrors
However, if you want to cut it short, you'll need a trimmer for the back. Medium to long, it doesn't matter.
>>
File: aircut-alone.jpg (18 KB, 421x285) Image search: [Google]
aircut-alone.jpg
18 KB, 421x285
I bought pic related around three years ago for $100.
I cut my hair about once per week to ten days.
I used the length adapters for the first year but finally became confident enough in using it that now I just plug it in, turn it on and start cutting.
I adjust the length by how far away from my scalp I hold it.
I use a beard trimmer to trim the neckline.
I bent small diameter copper tubing into a curve to go around the back of my neck. The tubing has curved ends that wrap around my ears similar to eyeglasses put on backwards.
I just put the tubing on my ears and neck and use it as a guide for the beard trimmer. (don't even need a mirror)
>>
>>1012931
>aircut alone
the fug, a head lawnmower here, or what?
>>
>>1012931

did your mom write this?

5.0 out of 5 starsA great product!
By Nicole on January 15, 2016

I have owned an AirCut for 3 years and absolutely love it. My 6 year old son is autistic and this is the only device he will allow near him to cut his hair. I don't have to worry if he makes a sudden movement as there is no way he can be cut, which was one of the biggest problems we encountered when trying to cut his hair at a salon. Also, the fact that we can take as long as needed and can cut his hair in a familiar environment has decreased the anxiety and fear associated with having his hair cut temendously. I would recommend this product to any parent!
>>
>>1011427
As long as you've got enough mirrors to see the back of your head, you don't need another person for help.

Only time you need another person is your first two or three haircuts, because you WILL miss a spot and you'll need them to point it out before you go outside.
>>
>>1012931
i buy me de aircut, an das shit don do shit, man..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPM8pzfFh4
>>
>>1010144
This. Also if you live alone like me and no one can do the back of your head, place 2 mirrors infront of one another and you're set
>>
>Job interview
>Cut own hair

Good luck bro
>>
What are you guys using for blade lubricant on your buzz trimmers?
>>
>>1014857
My buzzer is like idk from the 80s maybe? maybe earlier? my mom gave it to me, use to use it on me when I was little. still has the original oil it came with.. but I remember my father using 3 and 1 oil more then once to lube it..

i'd say a safe oil would be like coconut oil or lard. when the little oil doohicky runs out on mine, I'm just gonna end up using lard. lard doesn't spoil, and its natural, so if it gets in your hair, wont be a bitch to clean out.
>>
The Flowbie -one good thing to come from the 1970s...

Watch "Moon" movie
>>
> Buy clippers.
> Cut with no guard every 2 weeks
> Fin
>>
>>1010137
Great clips is 12 dollars
>>
>>1014857

3-in-1.

It doesn't make much difference what you use. This isn't something that requires a performance lubricant. Anything roughly the consistency of vegetable oil (including actual vegetable oil) will work fine.

Not overly concerned with using shit like motor oil, either. Just wash your hair afterward if you're paranoid.
>>
>>1014857
>>1014858
>>1015167
If you can't find a bottle of wahl/oster clipper oil, you should be using plain mineral oil. Otherwise your hair will stink of 3-in-1/rancid lard/vegetable oil.
>>
>>1010172
>girls just straight up don't like super short hair
citation required
>>
>>1010137
OP, are there any hairdressing schools near your place? I know that wehere I live there are and students give free haircuts as a form of practice. They are not as proficient as regular hairdressers, but they can surely cut your hair better than you. I also tried to cut my own hair at some point and it can be difficult at the back of your head. You can use 2 mirrors ofc, but I developed another technique. I tied electric cord around my upper neck and used is as a guide for buzzer.
>>
>>1014857
go to walmart, and purchase standard machine oil. You will find it by the sewing accessories. It's the same type of lubricant you'd use on sewing machines. You'll get a 6oz bottle and it will last you forever.
>>
File: 2016-06-29 12.24.09.jpg (147 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-29 12.24.09.jpg
147 KB, 480x480
>>1015282
Basically every girl. Go ask them yourself. Of course, if you personally have short hair, they're not going to want to say it because they have a natural inclination to try and not hurt your feelings, but go ahead and do an online poll with pic related and see which one 99.9% of girls think is hotter.
>>
File: cat.png (214 KB, 353x306) Image search: [Google]
cat.png
214 KB, 353x306
>>1010137
too broke for a haircut. It's like 15 or 20 bucks man fuck.
>>
>>1010137
Go for a cheap buzz cut. If you're interviewing for a cubicle-type position and think a buzz-cut will make you look unprofessional then you can attempt to cut with some scissors. Depending on your type of hair and how long it currently is could make it easier/harder.
>>
>>1010137
Lots of anons giving good advice about length and cutting off from ears, but its seriously only $12-$14 at most brand-name barber shops like Great Clips and Sportsclips. Yeah they'll be disappointed if they don't get a tip but you don't have to go back there if you're embarrassed, or you could explain your situation.
>>
>>1010172
Depends entirely on your face, head shape, facial hair and the girl. Some girls prefer shorter and some prefer longer. The girls who prefer longer also tend to be more into feminine features whereas girls who prefer shorter are more into masculine features.

The age range of the girl also matters. The majority of girls under 20 will prefer boyish good looks opposed to an adult male look. Around 22 that seems to change and the majority of women start developing a preference towards the adult male look (nice trimmed beard/stubble, stylish short hair) opposed to the teenage male look.
>>
>>1015347
Plus you can often find coupons to chain barbers. The back of my grocery receipt has a coupon to Great Clips on it every week.
>>
>>1015330
Entirely dependent on the girl. Just like beards. Some girls are obsessed with them, others think they are fucking disgusting. Just like some guys like short hair on women, some like long.

There is also a strong correlation with age and political affiliation. Older women will prefer short hair, younger will prefer longer. Conservatives will prefer short, liberal will prefer longer.

Hair length goes in patterns, short will be in, then long, then short, then long.

You will also find that just about no woman in the world will reject a guy solely on his haircut as long as it is done well.
>>
christ. I can get my hair cut for like, $6. I probably have that much in my couch.
>>
>>1010874
Vikings had long hair.

>>1010137
I cut my hair with hair scissors, but it's trivial since it's a ponytail.
>>
>>1010172
>girls just straight up don't like super short hair
who fucking cares
>>
>>1016307
Vikings were also bishōnen, and cared greatly about their physical appearance.
>>
File: snettisham_1937299i.jpg (70 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
snettisham_1937299i.jpg
70 KB, 620x388
>>1016358
They could be, since they lived so long ago, but I greatly doubt that was the case.
Although I did hear that they liked to wear bling.
>>
>>1015330
That picture is so straw man I can smell the fucking farm from here.
>>
>>1015330

A pic of the same person with different cuts would be more illustrative. You've got a shifty looking con vs a male model there.

I'd still go with the con over the gay dude with the longer hair.

I look great with a zero clip, and all my girlfriends have preferred it like that.
>>
>>1015332
Maybe OP is a hobo trying to go legit
>>
File: IMG-20160702-WA0026.jpg (325 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160702-WA0026.jpg
325 KB, 1280x720
ive been doing that for like 6 years.i just do it by sight , cut it short, like 2 fingers long, and 3 to5 fingers top.

On my back i do it by with my hands, just comb it with my palm very close to the skull, pull it a little and try to make it even. if i fuck up (which is common if im pressured like for an interview or something) my hair grows very fast. Please dont fuck it up.

You could just cut it a little and comb the fuck out of it with gel. make it look decent

Pic is my head rigjt now, just did just cut it like 4 days ago
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.