[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I found out I had a mice infestastion recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 23
File: 4L_tstcxYvL.jpg (62 KB, 701x534) Image search: [Google]
4L_tstcxYvL.jpg
62 KB, 701x534
surfed through countless of humane mice traps but didn't find anything that works, any diy projects that worked for you?

I know all about the bottle on a bucket type of traps, but it's too big for what I need, thanks!
>>
>>1010007
You cant cure an infestation with just traps, you need to eliminate all food source and patch all holes/hiding spots as well as a comprehensive killing and deterring strategy ie poison and traps and maybe cats
>>
>>1010007
Mattias Wandel built a mouse trap much better than the bottle on a bucket, he has a nice video about it.
>>
File: quickdeathisbest.jpg (54 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
quickdeathisbest.jpg
54 KB, 620x465
Its humane.
>>
thanks for the suggestions, I know I can't probably get it 100% but I can calm it down a bit until i call professional help

>>1010011
Most of the time it doesn't snap their neck and they suffocate, i plan on euthanizing them using vinegar and baking soda for a painless death
>>
>>1010014
Most the time the trap setter hasn't adjusted the spring as designed.
>>
Easiest fucking thing - glue a cheerio or something similar to the trigger on a regular mousetrap. make the fucker work to get it, and boom, no more mouse.
>>
Get a snake.
>>
File: IMG-20160415-WA0020.jpg (189 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160415-WA0020.jpg
189 KB, 1280x960
Google small mammal wire mesh cage trap. You can make a pretty decent trap using chicken wire and some thin steel rods or strips. We use them to catch mice and rats for study over here. Bait it with peanut butter or some strong smelling fruits
>>
File: 201406_2227_dbhfb_sm[1].jpg (17 KB, 300x325) Image search: [Google]
201406_2227_dbhfb_sm[1].jpg
17 KB, 300x325
>>1010007
Too bad we haven't figured out how to deal with mice since man settled down and had grain stores.
>>
>>1010007
these work: https://www.amazon.com/Mice-Cube-Humane-Mouse-Trap/dp/B000WB11ZK

bait with chocolate, PB, MMs....

have had mice for years, they always seem to get in when seasons change....luckily we took in some homeless cats and they are the best mouse trap ever made

in the winter, I'd leave them outside and they'd turn into mousickles

>>1010036
or a cat, they love nothing more than to sit and wait for those suckas to come back out so they can catch them
>>
>>1010007

Lawnmower over their nest.
>>
>>1010036

Don't do this OP. I had a mouse problem and decided to buy snakes. Now I have a snake problem.

Oh, does anybody know how to get rid of snakes?
>>
Get a ferret.
>>
>>1010228
Hawks will take care of your snakes
>>
>>1010014
see
>>1010020

if you don't do this
>>1010027
at least put the bait UNDER the trigger so the mouse has it's neck in proper position.
For heaven's sake do not use the sticky traps! They are not quick or humane and you wouldn't believe the horrible sounds those poor creatures make while glued to the surface.

the classic mouse trap when properly baited is as humane as it gets, I've found 95% + were crushed skulls or broken necks.
>>
File: huntingcat.jpg (98 KB, 599x215) Image search: [Google]
huntingcat.jpg
98 KB, 599x215
>>1010014
>i plan on euthanizing them using vinegar and baking soda for a painless death
Carbon dioxide poisoning is neither quick nor painless. Unlike inert gas asphyxiation, carbon dioxide is chemically active. You know the feeling of needing to breathe when you hold your breath? That's not a lack of oxygen, that's an excess of CO2. The mice would panic for a while until they run out of internal oxygen. Just get a cat. In addition to genociding any mice that stay, the cat will scare away any mice with sense.
>>
>>1010262
Don't do this! I can't fucking leave my bedroom now due to my living room turning into a hawk aviary!

Do anyone know a good way to remove hawks???
>>
>>1010287
Get some DDT, in a generation it'll clear those hawks right up.
>>
>>1010264
yep, i tweak mine so they have a hair trigger, and put the bait, way under the trigger

and yea clean your place, don't leave any place for them to nest, fill all gaps they can get in, by putting a bead of chalk then stuffing stainless steel steel wool in the gap, they won't eat through the steel wool

i've had cheap dollar store traps, fail to kill the mice, so i stopped using them it kept catching them by one of their back legs, i didn't have the heart to kill them so i took them outside a few blocks away and let them out of the trap and let the neighborhood cats take care of it
>>
>>1010007

Yes you need a live trap for 'human' reasons. OP your one sick fuck.
>>
>>1010362
RIP Snippy.

TOO SOON BRO.
>>
>>1010007
Buy cornsnake, release into basement
>>
Electrocution is the easiest. Buy or get a power cord from old electronic equipment. Connect one wire to a dummy load and connect other wire and the dummy load to a pair of pins. Put some food between the pins. You now have a instant kill mouse trap.
>>
.412 with #12 (ratshot)
>>
Get a cat. Or if you live in a heavily populates area, you don't even have to get your own cat. Just put some cat food out, random cats from the neighbourhood will come and eat and kill all your mice.
>>
https://youtu.be/uIbkLjjlMV8
>>
>>1010007
Burn your house down, this should get rid of all mice. Rebuild house with more anti-mouse stuff in place.
>>
>>1010645
Great method, you know when you have caught a mouse because all your power goes out and your house stinks of burning mice.

First of all clean up your fucking house, they don't come inside unless you are a dirty cunt dropping crumbs everywhere.
Then you find out where they are getting in. Set up a night vision camera to track their paths. Fill any holes with expanding foam and set traps along popular routes. Use various good for bait, biscuits chocolate cereal jam just about anything really. If you use a humane trap release it at least 2-3 miles away. Preferably near a dump or someone you hate's bins.

Some cats don't bother catching mice they just wake you up in the middle of the night knocking shit over and making a mess when they see it. Also mice like cat food so you are attracting them
>>
>>1010765
>they don't come inside unless you are a dirty cunt dropping crumbs everywhere
Or unless you live in the countryside, near fields and such, and your home is warmer than outside...
>>
>>1010007
>surfed through countless of humane mice traps but didn't find anything that works, any diy projects that worked for you?
There will always be some mice who are damn smart and just evade your current sytem. Use everykind of trap until everything is caught, including poison as last resort. Humane is really killing them fast enough they didn't suffer. Catching them in a lockdown cage simply teacher them to be wary of traps.
Go ahead and use a paper towel to hold the edge of a new wooden trap, or gloves. Add smelly summer sausage cube, get it on there good so it can't be slipped off. Peanut butter can be delicately licked off. Cheese isn't that attractive believe it or not. Bacon can be alright! Cycle through the food, but do not put your human scent on a trap, or reuse one that has blood or death on it.
When you get down to just 1 or 2, time to leave poison. There could be a little nest of youngins in the wall who need to dehydrate and go too. Then take a look at your garage setup or what drives them into your property.

I live near a lake and kind of a golf course area, and when they mow the higher weeds, I get escaping rats that scatter for the hills and will eat through my screen enclosure, or slip under the garage door. It's a year round task to stay on top of them. I look at snakes in the yard with enthusiasm now. If a cat show ups at my door, I'll feed it and encourage it to stay. There are plastic houses for baiting you can leave around your bushes, but I don't use them because I worry about other wildlife, but if you are suburban, go for it. You see businesses who do them. I have a couple fake owls on a stick to scare predator birds away from my koi pond, and like to think they help somewhat for rats.
>>
Green apples are great mouse bait!
>>
>>1010010
hahahahaha
that autistic fgt couldnt even make the rolling can trap properly. So he made that bullshit. His videos are funny af. Cant tell if he is trolling or just a retard. Thanks for the lulz bro
>>
>>1010323
Okay I called in a professional for hawk DDT but now Jake Roberts won't leave my house
>>
>>1010279
I did my research, if I wanted them to suffer I would've just bought glue traps or flushed them down the toilet, baking soda and vinegar create co2, your body can't differentiate between oxygen and co2 and you eventually pass out and die, while if you do it too fast it can cause them pain, releasing it correctly will cause no pain whatsoever, you won't notice if it was in the air and vets and shops are using it, heck can even be used as a pain killer, if you have sources that state differently show me.
>>
>>1010362
What?
>>1010765
Read this
>>1010768
>>1010768
Thanks for the suggestions
>>
>>1010007
Since I live out in the country we get a few mice a month what works well for us is those paper glue boards and input a small piece of bread and shredded cheese in the middle I do this whenever I see rat droppings or hear them usaully catches them within an hour
>>
>>1011107
That's fucking painful as shit mate, they either suffocate, starve or die of thirst or fucking rip their legs off from strain, I mean yeah rats are harmful, but that's low, especially when you can't
take out 3 painlessly for less than a dollar
>>
>>1011125
"From strain" brain fart, sorry
>>
Dude, forget "humane". I'll the mice, otherwise they'll just come back. Load up on snap traps, and go to town, sir
>>
>>1011143
Kill, not I'll. Damn this autocorrect.
>>
>>1010768
>living in the countryside
>not having a barn and putting some hay/straw in it for the mice to live in.

the thing about mice is that if you KNOW you have them then you have a problem. its perfectly possible to live in the countryside or anywhere and have mice living under your floor and have no idea about it at all.
>>
>>1011143
I am killing them mate, I make sure to flush em afterwards, but sometimes humane traps are better than non humane, you catch a bunch of mice and use co2 to kill them, do what's the easiest for you I guess, i sound like a 12 year old vegan kid.
>>
>>1011198
if you want to co2 them humanely remember to introduce gas to the cage slowly enough so they are knocked out before they smell it. if you drop them right in a box full of gas they smell it before they are knocked out and it is very unpleasant for them and you if you aren't psychopathic
>>
>>1010007
Do you have small kids or pets that put things in their mouths? If so then you might want to watch them more closely for this.
Take some mint oil (probably available at any health store) and daub it on pieces of cloth or cotton wool left around the house, especially near suspected mouse holes or places where mice would go to get food. Reapply regularly, or just keep mint plants around the house. Alternatively, you could use broken-up cinnamon sticks.
The strong smell of the mint is too intense for most rodents so they'll fuck off pretty quickly.
>>
Its a fucking mouse fucking your house up by chewing thru your walls and trying to eat your food. Not to mention they shit everywhere. Who cares about humane. I live in a trailer and do whatever I can to kill the bastards. nawwing on my walls at night keeping me awake and shit. Thinking about just buying a couple snakes and letting them loose in the walls.
>>
File: latest.jpg (175 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
175 KB, 700x700
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0dFsAtAlEo

Barrel+Coconuts
>>
>>1010007
Use spring loaded mouse traps, also use those sticky traps, a lot of people cry about how inhumane they are but you don't want any of the filthy diseases the dirty vermin carry do you?
>>
>>1011105
Not him but you're incorrect. CO2 will suffocate the mice but it will not be painless. What the other anon said is correct, CO2 is what alerts you that you need air.
>>
I got mice too but in a cabin in the middle of nowhere. I tried closing up any holes I can find but I just can't seem to keep them out. There is no food kept in the cabin, and to make it worse it's hard to scare them out because I am only there about three weeks in the year. Does anyone know a way to kill multiple mice over a long period of time? It will be months before I can check it, and I would prefer the place to not reek of rotting flesh when I walk in. Like OP I prefer something humane, but I am open minded for anything.
>>
cat piss
>>
File: 81sx6vPWeKL._SL1500_[1].jpg (205 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81sx6vPWeKL._SL1500_[1].jpg
205 KB, 1500x1500
This worked for me. It catches them live, but really you have to get them out of there within 1/2 a day or so or they will die. I think that's true with any "humane" trap. I've heard it catch something at night, but in the morning found it dead. Anyway, it can catch many without being reset.

Really though, you should seal up the space if you can. I sealed around my house using hardware cloth (galvanized mesh) to cover up holes around vents through the siding.
>>
>>1012689

Try this, or similar. They aren't that cheap, but seem to work.

>>1012818

I had mice in my hard-to-get-to attic. Exterminator installed some of these. When they came back, I got some myself (cheaper than one exterminator visit), sealed the holes in the house, and that was it.
>>
>>1012221
>this

The body doesn't detect the lack of oxygen, it detects the concentration of CO2 in the blood. Anyone who has ever worked retail and unloaded an upright icecream transport chest full of dry ice knows this. If you open the flap and just start grabbing stuff and working youll get winded quick and start breathing heavier.

This is the reason why breathing helium from baloons is so dangerous. It allows the body to off-gas the CO2 built up in the blood while getting no replacement oxygen. It interupts the biofeedback cycle to detect asphyxiation and you just keep sucking in helium to speak funny and laugh while you're dying.

At my grandpa's farm he uses a couple bucket traps where they can't jump out, and every morning takes them out to the chicken run.
>>
>>1010765
>Fill any holes with expanding foam
some mice will chew new holes thru the foam. use some steel wool in the hole first then fill with the foam. mice don't like to chew steel wool.
>>
>>1013194
or you could just shove jalapenos in all open holes
>>
>>1010252
I second this. Their musk will scare away rodents. If it doesn't, well they are natural mouse hunters.
>>
>>1014378
I have dogs, I doubt they will get along with them, that's also another reason snap traps and poison are out of the question, thanks for the suggestion though man
>>
>>1010072
i had an infestasion problem, then i rescued a cat from the streets and the problem got completly fixed in about a month, the cat even hunts roches

get a cat op, it has to be a female cat, (or at least thats what my grandmother used to say)
>>
Just get a kitter mate that's the whole reason humans domesticated them in the first place
>>
>>1015260
Yup, a cat is a pretty good answer.

But he said he has dogs, and even if they can live together, it's difficult at the start.

So... I would think getting a micer dog such as a Dachshund.
>>
>>1015271
>dachshund
>mouser
You want a terrier, not a Dachshund. Dachshunds were bred for badgering.
>>
>>1010007
Humane traps are pretty cheap, and you just load them in the car and dump them in a forest.
>>
>>1010007
most humane traps do work but you must be patient.
a mouse won't necessarily be interested in going into the trap for your bait if it thinks there is something better where it usually goes.
also if it can smell you on the trap or if the trap smells new to it it clearly won't go fucking near it.
i suggest you wear gloves when you set the trap. put out a few and use different baits in each. mice will eat anything, once i had a mouse eat all the seeds from half a pepper without touching the skin bit at all.
once i had a mouse chew through the cum soaked part of a wanking sock. dirty bastards.
>>
>>1012221
>>1011105
co2 is one of the preferred ways to dispatch mice for research purposes but it comes with some caveats.
the amount of co2 it takes to render a mouse unconscious is slightly lower than the concentration of co2 that a mouse can smell and react to.
if you just drop a mouse in a box full of co2 it is very unpleasant for the mouse and for you.
if you can control properly the rate of co2 increase then its possible but easy to fuck up, if you are mixing fucking baking soda i would not recommend it unless you are a psychopath because it is very disturbing to watch.
>>
You guys are so nice, I just corner them in a narrow space, block exits and crush their bodies with a stick
>>
File: IMG_20160531_120050_670.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160531_120050_670.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I caught a ton of mice by just cutting a 2 liter bottle's top off and flipping it inside out..
I had a few of these in my living room and a cage, for whatever reason.
It worked pretty well when I was in the room, sometimes they get smart and jump out, not that hard to be in the same room, right?
kek
Only pic I can find and it's of a normal bottle that works just fine.
Put them along your walls, tip them a little if there isn't anything they can climb onto.
>>
>>1015274
This is correct. But most dachshunds today have pretty nasty health problems. You'll be putting them down left and right from slipped disks and spinal injuries. :-(
>>
>>1016672
[or shelling our for back surgeries at $10k a pop that will give you a dog that at least isn't crippled, but is too fragile to even climb stairs]
>>
>>1010902
I hear he's scared of mice, get some to nest in your house.
>>
>>1010014
You sound like a giant Pussy. They're nice...pests. Don't pity them just fucking deal with them.

Use commercially available poisons. They work.
>>
>>1010007

Call in the professionals, and you'll be clear of them in a few weeks. Make sure you check all your wiring in your loft, mice love to chew everything.

But forget trying to do it yourself, the problem is MUCH larger than you think it is.
>>
>>1016834
>Use commercially available poisons. They work.

Do NOT use poisons... Not because it's "inhumane", but because they aren't instant. If a mice is feeling ill, it will hide somewhere... Then you'll have the stench of rodent death in your floorboards. Rats/mice smell VILE after a couple of days.
>>
>>1010007
>humane mice traps
Anon the goal is to kill them efficiently with minimal mess. Poison works wonders, but good luck finding the decomposing vermin.

Though if you want a trap i suggest a single entry metal cage.
>>
>>1010007
Don't be a pussy and just kill them. Glue, traps, cats or you could just get a snake.
>>
>>1013258
Or... expanding foam mixed with jalapenos and laxatives. Who's with me?
>>
File: 1453268419255.png (130 KB, 306x372) Image search: [Google]
1453268419255.png
130 KB, 306x372
>>1010007
>>
File: 1459004079864.jpg (139 KB, 833x602) Image search: [Google]
1459004079864.jpg
139 KB, 833x602
>tfw OP has not purchased one of us already.
>>
File: 1451481629485.jpg (36 KB, 445x414) Image search: [Google]
1451481629485.jpg
36 KB, 445x414
You can even get one of us as a pet ordered online! delivered to your door!
>>
File: 1463560535762.jpg (24 KB, 264x239) Image search: [Google]
1463560535762.jpg
24 KB, 264x239
Our operators are standing by.
>>
File: 1458100056434.jpg (39 KB, 634x471) Image search: [Google]
1458100056434.jpg
39 KB, 634x471
OP why will you not let us experience the glory of conquest?

Our Valor Honor and Strength will be like those of Olde.
>>
File: 1461852792989.jpg (30 KB, 480x477) Image search: [Google]
1461852792989.jpg
30 KB, 480x477
We will make auschwitz look like a fucking joke.
>>
File: 1453037699501.jpg (56 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1453037699501.jpg
56 KB, 500x375
Gettin High as fuck with yo ass.
>>
File: dankness.jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
dankness.jpg
5 KB, 259x194
uh
>>
File: 1444771504803.jpg (46 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
1444771504803.jpg
46 KB, 500x359
In the blink of an eye without warning striking like the wind.
>>
File: 1449328966395.jpg (101 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449328966395.jpg
101 KB, 640x480
They will never see us coming.
>>
File: 1452984448845.jpg (92 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1452984448845.jpg
92 KB, 612x612
Order Now.
>>
File: supercat.jpg (86 KB, 550x825) Image search: [Google]
supercat.jpg
86 KB, 550x825
It is what we where born to do.
>>
File: 1457178893175.jpg (27 KB, 279x318) Image search: [Google]
1457178893175.jpg
27 KB, 279x318
>>1010007
>>
>>1017003
Gotta admit this gave me big Keks, I stated before I had dogs and I doubt the cats or them will get along, thanks for the offer anyway!
>>
>>1010287
Pythons.
>>
>>1017000

big lel nice trips
>>
>>1016992
>mousewisch
>>
>>1010768
We used to live in an old farmhouse as a child and always had a baited trap put out. One day in fall it got really cold, and we caught 17 mice. Didn't see any for the rest of fall or winter. If you are surrounded by fields, they're coming into your house
>>
File: 2011-12-04 22.38.29.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
2011-12-04 22.38.29.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
>>1010731
>have mice infestation
>put out food everywhere to counter mice infestation
>>1016842
Unless you life in an apartment complex or have hoarders as neighbours, it's not really necessary for mice. Just keep all food and other mice edibles stored out of reach for them and put out traps until you don't catch mice anymore.
>>1016843
There's also poison that dries out the mouse Not really humane to have an animal dry out from the inside alive though.
>>
File: Hello.jpg (2 MB, 2540x2908) Image search: [Google]
Hello.jpg
2 MB, 2540x2908
>>1010007
>>
>>1017369
That's not a mouse, just so you know. That's a shrew.
>>
>>1011105
Carbon dioxide will make the mouse feel out of air and its lungs will burn to fuck, hold your breath and find out.

What you might be thinking of is Carbon Monoxide, this is the dangerous shit because you can't smell it, and by the time you feel it you're already too late, you'll conk out and die.

We have CO detectors for this very reason, a small amount can mess memory and other mental functions up in humans, more and you just peacefully fall asle- drop the fuck dead.
>>
>>1014578

Not OP.
But I've got 2 males and they constantly bring shit they caught home, just yesterday one of em got an English sparrow and tried taking it home.
>>
I live in a house that has mice annually.
Besteht thing so far werd supercat traps filled with peanut butter and such stuff. Keep a Metall dusting shovel ready should the mouse not die in the trap. Place in neck and apply a lot of force. Mouse dead .

Its shitty all right, but Vetter than letting the mice suffer.

If possible fix your house mice are a liability.
>>
>>1018165

Tom cats are either lazy loafs of shit, or merciless terrors that rule with a iron fist, there's little mid-ground. Female cats tend to hunt to hunt (food or being territorial) but aren't often entirely worthless like 50% of outdoor tom cats.

E.g they won't be as violent or relentless about it, but there's a low chance they'll sit and eat with the rats.

Last batch of cats I had two angry thug with daddy issues tom cats kept a 5 acre yard entirely devoid of life for 10~ years though. No snakes, birds, squirrels, mice, rats, moles, shrews etc. The fucking deer wouldn't even come in the yard.

Don't over feed them.
>>
>>1018056
It wasn't a very shrewd shrew.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.