[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rubberized Plastic Degrading, Got Any Tips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Eon.png (73 KB, 370x255) Image search: [Google]
Eon.png
73 KB, 370x255
I have a two year old laptop that was made cheaply in Taiwan, and the rubberized plastic that coats most of the laptop's surfaces is starting to degrade and get really sticky. I've had this situation before with mice and a few other electronics, but this is the first time it's happened so quickly. My Logitech mice had no problems for at least 4 years, and I've still got a Zune HD with a similar rubberized plastic bottom that hasn't degraded at all, but has rubbed away.

Are there any ways to restore this coating to its prior state, or at least keep it from being sticky? I was thinking of trying to rub it in mineral oil since internet scuttlebutt says that peanut butter or Wolfgang's External Trim Sealant helps a bit.

Otherwise, I think I'll need to remove it with isopropyl alcohol, right?
>>
>>1009894
My wacom pen's rubberyness started degrading a while back so I just took it off. Yeah, isopropyl.
>>
^^ that.
Then if you want rubber again, grab a tin of plasticoat (spray removable rubber) mask where you dont want it and spray. It will also fix that sticky shit coming back.

Did this last week to a green rubbery dell that came along. Paid $30 sold $190 thanks to that spray
>>
>>1009986
Oh, that sounds like a great solution. I'll try it, thanks.

>>1009904
What do they make this shit out of?
>>
>>1010331
Whatever it is, it can't be good for you.
>>
>>1010337
Apparently they're called thermoplastic elastomers.
>>
I call it shit rubber sticky shit. They also make cheap junk-shop knives and the like that are "non slip handles" out of it. After removing with rubbing alcohol, use remaining vapours to set it on fire
>>
>>1009986
Plastidip*
It's good stuff for this sort of thing. Make sure edges are well done otherwise it's gonna come right off.first sand the existing coating though
>>
>>1010529
Plastidip or Plasticoat? Because Platicoat is another product for cars.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.