[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone bought one of these harbor freight sawmill? Not trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: dPlUZgs.jpg (85 KB, 800x536) Image search: [Google]
dPlUZgs.jpg
85 KB, 800x536
Anyone bought one of these harbor freight sawmill? Not trying to start a hb debate thread. I have some products from them that I'm happy with and vice versa. I have a 60' oak I'm taking down in my yard and want to mill it. A locally guy said he could slice it up for me for $600. I was thinking of dropping another $1400 for the actual mill myself and then I'd have a nice tool that I would definitely put to use. I don't have the time/skills to build my own. Just seeing if anyone has an opinion on this. Regards.
>>
Buying anything but hand tools from Harbor Freight is a really bad idea.
>>
>>1009805

I've used their mini lathe and mini mill multiple times a week for the past 5 years and they both still work fine, even after being thoroughly abused (I planed the top of an anvil with the mill). Harbor Freight is more of a minefield than a deathtrap; most of the time you'll be fine, but occasionally you'll get fucked. Don't buy their multimeters or drill bits.
>>
>>1009812
Agreed about the minefield. My wooden screw clamps are great but the black plastic ones are practically disposable. Some still work but some broke the first time I used them.
>>
>>1009795
Pay the $600 and never look back, anon.
How many times will you use a sawmill?
>>
>>1009831
maybe his yard is 100 acres with a couple hundred oaks
>>
buy the saw mill, mill 3 logs and it's paid for.
ez choice if you have the space
>>
>>1009839
>buy the saw mill, mill 4 logs for your neighbors at 450$ per log and it's paid for.

fixed that for you...
>>
>>1009812
I had one of their "HSS" drill bits bend. BEND. Like fuck, shouldn't it snap instead of bending? I've never bent HSS before.
>>
>>1009805
hey fuck you, all my tools are from Harbor Freight
>>
>>1009795
It's not that bad to be honest especially for 2 grand. The only things to look out for are the welds rubbing against crossmember bolts on the track.
>>
Ausfag here. Similar story on the drill bits many years ago. - sets of HF bits - TiNi (titty nitrate) or something. Pretty looking and supposed to drill brick /masonary, steel, iron, plastic, well you know. Boss at the time went nuts and bought a dozen sets for all the shops (and me three as warehouse guy who makes / repairs / installs things and needs decent shit). Lectured me on hos hss was shit and these were 21st century, made me toss the hss sets (as in whinged so much shit i tossed them to shut him up). First hit was a 10mm bit, cordless drill. Pine. Bent almost 90* (well i was being a little rough). The rest were the same. Turns out he ordered them from harbour freight via a us friend when they were on sale. Told him to bend the rest and shove em in his ass (nice when your needed more than you want the job you work in), went to the nearest overprice hardware and put the most expensive hss set known to mankind on his account.

Related : left there a long time ago. Still have half the hss drillbits in my spares box lol
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.