[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this stuff worth keeping? I am clearing out a work space,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 20160616_183653.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160616_183653.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Is this stuff worth keeping? I am clearing out a work space, and this vice and bench grinder are for the taking. They both work. Are they worth taking? I will say I have very little storage at the moment, otherwise i would take them in a hearbeat. I am not doing and projects at the moment, but have in the past and plan to again. I was always told older shit like this is the best so that is why I am asking really. Again, they both operate well.

Thanks
>>
File: 1466116995805.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1466116995805.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>1009760
>>
>>1009760
I'd say keep both, new grinders are usually $40+, as for the vise, I've never seen one go for less than $60 in my area and name brands go for $150 (on craigslist).
>>
>>1009760
yeah take both. they don't really take up much space.
>>
Dude if they're free just roll with it. The only cost is what, you hauling it home ? If it doesn't pan out. Well shit it was free mang.
>>
>>1009760
>>1009760

take the fuck out of those
>>
>>1009771
Thank you
>>1009774
Thank you
>>1009776
Thank you
>>1009777
Thank you

I have used the grinder, and it works well from what I can tell. Anyone familiar with these older types?

Something about the older, worked in tools like these just seem to keep rockin' from what I have observed and been told.
>>
>>1009779
It's also 7 amps, new ones are like 1.5-2.
>>
>>1009782
Is this a good or bad thing?

Hate to ask, just know nothing about this,

thanks
>>
>>1009787
older equipment (usually non-china) the actual performance is closer to what's on the label

1/2HP = 768W/120V = 6.4A
>>
>>1009790
ya this is labeled Taiwan, but it is a beefy machine that spins very consistently so I take it that is good.

thanks man, much appreciated. I feel good about these things for some reason
>>
I like old bench grinders.
>>
As someone who really wants both of those things right now, but doesn't have the money. I would say take them. Looks like the newest version of that grinder is about $100. More bells and whistles obviously but still.

I'll probably end up having to buy a cheap one from HF.
>>
>>1009791
To further explain: To some modern machines, there is an implied asterisk next to the rated power. This means that it'l give you that output, but only for a limited time before overheating, needing a cooldown, and maybe causing damage.
This isn't the case for all, but it's not rare to find.

I would personally take and find a place for it, and if after some time it remains unused and is just a waste of space, I'd sell.
>>
>>1009779
Sounds like OP has made up his mind, and hell yes you made the right choice, if you haven't touched them in 4 months and they're just cluttering up your shit, you can always CL them.
>>
good catch op. grinding wheels need to be dressed tho
>>
>>1009760
Take it, even if you can't use it now you might be able to use it later, and if you can't then you can sell it and buy something you do need.
>>
>>1010280
HF is very weak. There are times when I have to stop what I'm doing to let it spin again. My work ones have never done that.
>>
>>1010283
Thank you kindly brother.
>>
File: 1406715135960.png (5 KB, 210x214) Image search: [Google]
1406715135960.png
5 KB, 210x214
>>1009777
>take the fuck out of those
idk why but that made me laugh like a fucking idiot
>>
>>1010376
How many amps is it? I've seen some with like 1A ratings, pretty fuckin weak.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.