[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Active shutter glasses compatible with strobe lights? Home Defense
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 786839758_516.jpg (95 KB, 1000x747) Image search: [Google]
786839758_516.jpg
95 KB, 1000x747
Had a crazy idea last night and wanted to see if it was even feasible. Could one time a strobe light to active shutter goggles so that the strobes effects are unnoticeable?

Thinking home defense. Hit a panic button that shuts off the lights in the house, activates strobes in every room, and wear goggles that allow you to see everything while the burglar is disoriented.
>>
>>1009484
Sounds like a solid idea. No idea on how to implement it, but I'm sure someanon with more gorm than I possess will be along eventually. Bumping for interest.
>>
>>1009484
I don't think so maybe if you block the strobe then you would be left with black strobing with light levels so low it might as well be black you could try through video with infrared might be something there
>>
Idea: put strobes directly on the goggles instead. It'd be simpler.
>>
>>1009490
Yeah I was thinking vr goggles with a mounted camera and algorithm to recognize/adjust for the strobes might be a better solution.
>>1009491
they already techincally have that, its used for atheletes to train with limited perception. The goal though is to have uninhibited perception, so I'm sure I'm barking up the wrong tree there.
>>
>>1009484
Hmm. I like your Idea OP.
Bluetooth soundbars synchronize by waiting a split second. It's noticeable but short enough.
I'd look into that.
However, the idea is flawed in such that the initial pulse would be the distraction. The idea is that it burns the eyes so much that you cant see. So if the Glasses do not dampen the light, it will be just as bad of a burn.
You will need the glasses to be synchronized, and variable darkness.
You might as well wire in a circuit that explodes a simultaneous flashbang in every room and strap on NVGs
>>
>>1009484
I had a similar idea, but with license plates to avoid tolls, placing some IR LEDs or strobing the lights at a frequency a camera struggles to pick but undetectable to the human eye.
>>
This is a pretty cool idea, but tbqh I would rather reach for my shotgun instead of a pair of glasses if a nig broke into my house.
>>
Auto darkening welding mask. Except visibility won't be that great
>>
>>1009925
This or there are also auto darkening glasses for people with weak eyes, don't know how quick they work though, could atleast dull the effects of the strobe for you
>>
I doubt commonly strobe lights are strong enough to be practical for defense. You need to make your own electronic system.
>>
>>1009925
>visibility won't be that great
Just light each room to like a million lumens. They can't see when they're blind.
>>
>>1010340
point isnt to blind them, just disorient them enough to get that few extra seconds advantage.
>>
File: chink shit.jpg (18 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
chink shit.jpg
18 KB, 800x800
>>1009484
Like the other anons said look into auto darkining welding masks. I think they are much faster at darkining than they are at lighting back up, maybe you could hack into the circuts to make that faster though.

Looks like you can get one for $6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231949818441
>>
The active 3d glasses sold with TVs use an ir receiver to trigger the switch. Tie the ir blaster that normally hooks to the TV up to the strobe.

The strobe will still be visible but it will be darkened since there is a 30-60hz blackout occuring.
>>
Oh hell yeah you could do that. LCDs and photocells respond so much faster than eyes
>>
You could also fill your house with IR floodlights.
They don't know that they're being permanently blinded until their eyes are on fire.
>>
>>1009484
I saw a vid today about someone making an lcd and I was interested in making an optical head mounted display. I happened to click some links relating to that and found this ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZFwZqvuyM

Maybe this helps you OP?
>>
You guys are making it all over complicated. Get passive glasses and just polarize the light from the strobes.
>>1010749
IR would need to be pretty strong. UV would be better if you wanted a real lawsuit when they develop blindness or cataracts or some shit
>>
>>1010759
You do know that when polarized light bounces it fucks up the polarization. So your polarized setup will do fuck all except when you stair right at the strobe. 3d movie screens that use polarized light setups need fucking expensive silver coated screens to not fuck up the polymerization.
>>
>>1009484
Couldn't you just use a strobe which has a specific wavelength and filter this wavelength out with glasses with filter. You wouldn't see colours well (depending in your choice of wavelength), but who needs colours anyway.
>>
>>1009925
Robber breaks in and starts going through op's shit. Strobe lights start blaring as op wearing a welding mask and tighty whities shuffles into the room armed with a bat.

Robber wouldn't know what hit him

Op make sure you have carnival music playing painfully loudly as the strobes go off
>>
>>1010818
i think you need to educate yourself with eave equation a little better
silver screens are used because they reflect better, nothing to do with a normal screen 'scrambling' the polarization.
>>
OP here

Just wanted to say thank you for the fun discussion. Just a crazy idea that popped in my head and while I didnt expect any life changing revelations I enjoy that this thread has stayed alive. I'm having a good time.
>>
>>1011175
well I was thinking this number. I save it for my alarm on special occasions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFeJ_BTz4lM
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.