[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My Lincoln Mark VII has a broken Tripminder. Which in pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: SC0513_152419_4[1].jpg (222 KB, 608x456) Image search: [Google]
SC0513_152419_4[1].jpg
222 KB, 608x456
My Lincoln Mark VII has a broken Tripminder. Which in pic related is the hub for distance to empty, trip tracking, clock, etc. Just above the air conditioner and below the two center vents.

Since it's broken, I was wanting to take it out and install gauges. Green digital LED ones that match the digital dash.
Does anyone have any DIY instructions for doing such an install?
I was thinking I could buy 3 LED screens with so many digits on them, and hook them up to circuits that will output information like RPM, Coolant Temps, and Oil Temps. Maybe even boost.

Has anyone done anything like this here?
>>
Wouldn't be terribly difficult to find some guages you like online and mount them where and how you want.
You could glue a piece of painted aluminum in front of your broken display and then cut holes in it with a holesaw to fit the new guages in. Then you have to wire them up, which isn't too tricky.
A boost guage might be difficult if you don't have a turbo on your 5l Windsor but you could do a vacuum guage- it just runs to an unused bung on the intake.
>>
Unfortunately, you are going to find out that LED displays do not speak a universal language, and that automotive gauges can be very expensive.

Your best bet is to use something like an arduino as an OBD reader/trip computer to pull data from the vehicle's own sensors. Then you can display that data on a screen that fits the location, or perhaps re-use the original screen.

That's a lot of coding to learn, but there are worse ways to spend your time.
>>
>>1009213
>>1009229

I'm seeing cheap seven segment displays that claim to be tachometers on ebay.
I'm also seeing that ardurio is pretty nifty and people are using it for builds.
Should l try to get one of these chinese ones first? Theyre like 15 bucks and the right dimensions. I've also seen some coding examples with the same chip you mentioned.
I just want something that goes with the seven segment green dash of the car. Custom making it would be a cool project.
>>
>>1009256
You can buy ready-made 7-segment displays that are already prepped to read SPI for cheap. Then it's a matter of polling data from the vehicle's CAN bus, usually with a cheap ELM327, interpreting it with a little code and sending it to the display.

This could be done with an Arduino nano.
>>
OP here, for anyone who was interested. I found this cool piece of work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eObcgJHtQHw

Someone already beat me.
>>
>>1009502
Desu op. Shift lights are litearlly stupid. Like if you shouldn't have something like that in your dash its merely another distraction that frankly you don't need. I could understand if you where deaf or something. But assuming your not. Use your fucking ears to know when to shift. Your engine will let you know.
>>
>>1009506

Well it doesn't have to actually be used, as you should know.
I do have a spot for it though.
>>
>>1009502
>Lincoln MK VII
>OP talking about boost gauge, shift lights
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.