[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which torch head should I get? TS4000 or TS8000? They basically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: 2005-4-1_propane_torch_w550.jpg (27 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
2005-4-1_propane_torch_w550.jpg
27 KB, 550x550
Which torch head should I get? TS4000 or TS8000?

They basically just say that the TS8000 is "better" on the Bernzomatic website without saying why. Is it hotter? I don't think the adjustable flame is useful. If I need less heat, I'll use my heat gun.

But the TS8000 only costs $7 more when bundled with a cylinder of "MAP" Pro gas.
>>
Being that the inlet is at the bottom on that one I'd imagine it will make for better efficiency during burn off.
>>
>>1008933
Get the one you have to light with a striker. The piezo trigger ones break easily.
>>
>>1008933
What are you going to be doing with it?
>>
>>1008933
Get the one with the button, you'll save lots of gas by turning the fucking thing off constantly, if you use the other one you'll be wishing you had three hands and will leave the flame on constantly so you don't have to re lite it all the time.

Dont listen to >>1008967 he's just a little bitch, mine is 6 years old and still strikes like it did when I got it.
>>
>>1008933
piezo striker is fucking awesome get it, i bought the cheapest i could find and its still going strong.
i use it for soldering copper pipe, mapp gas is a requirement because it burns hotter. propane takes too long to get it hot enough to melt solder.
>>
File: standard-torch-kit_no-110p39.jpg (58 KB, 400x436) Image search: [Google]
standard-torch-kit_no-110p39.jpg
58 KB, 400x436
the torch with the button is much more ergonomic, it's easy to work it one-handed. it also has a big fat flame that will wrap right around a 1/2" copper pipe and make soldering quick and easy.

if you're a mechanic rather than a plumber it makes sense to go with an oldschool torch and a bbq tank for the lower running costs.
>>
>>1008933
>Which torch head should I get? TS4000 or TS8000?
Get both, but you should try to use the piezo-igniter one.

The manufacturers and employers like the piezo ones, because you can't put them down or drop them without the flame going out. It is a much lower liability risk due to the increased safety.

The piezo ones are generally MUCH more convenient to use, and waste a lot less fuel--but their one drawback is that the flame is always at 100% throttle. You can't adjust it down to a small flame if you want.
So sometimes you WILL want that manually-adjustable one.

I've never had a piezo one break yet, but I rarely use mine.
I'd agree the piezo ones will likely break easier, but then,,,, they save a lot of fuel while they are working. The more that you use this kind of torch, the more that the piezo ones pay for themselves.
>>
File: ROT_35644.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ROT_35644.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
>>1009048
>You can't adjust it down
lol wut
>>
i have both styles and i prefer the piezo one for convience and it gets shit so fucking hot its sweet, but there is no dial for flow control, and this thing is high velocity

so what i do is

light and hold trigger and just adjust trigger pressure if i need a less intense heat

>>1009055
>bernzomatic

>rothenberger nazi tourch

not the same thing chief
>>
File: 8000.jpg (90 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
8000.jpg
90 KB, 1000x1000
>>1009048
>>1009328
What the fuck are you talking about?

I have a Bernzomatic 8000. Got it at Lowes. I use it for soldering pipes.

Yes, it has piezo ignition.
Yes, you can lock the trigger so the flame stays on.
Yes, you can adjust the gas output/strength of the flame.

I have highlighted the knobs & buttons that accomplish these things.
>>
BOTH R SHIT
GEAT A REAL TORCH
>>
>>1010217
Why did you highlight them with peppers
>>
File: $_35.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
Get a gasoline torch lasts three lifetimes and the fuel is virtually free.
>>
>>1008933
Get the 8000. Capable of handling both MAPP/MX and propane is (by itself) worth it. The piezo lighter is great and it has a locking button to keep the trigger down. Flame is adjusted the same way on both, via a control knob on the unit.
>>
>>1009046
>if you're a mechanic rather than a plumber it makes sense to go with an oldschool torch and a bbq tank for the lower running costs.

You can run ANY torch designed for small bottles off a BBQ tank by using an adapter hose. I haven't bought those pathetic little cylinders in many years.

This example has the correct fittings. Any hardware store should have one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16539842?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227009894768&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=63749279351&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=117293392391&veh=sem

If you want/need a lot more heat you can buy an acetylene-air torch like Turbotorch (OPs pic is similar) who also make propane versions. You have to get acetylene refills at your local welding supply but that's no big deal. I get mine used off Ebay since they are simple as fuck.
>>
>>1010546
Gasoline turns to shit when stored and blowtorches can be awkward to use. Leaks suck for obvious reasons.

I've had a few for giggles but I'd have to be in the Third World away from gaseous alternatives before I'd use one for work. Get one off Ebay if you want to play. Everyone should try a blowtorch for experience.

Here's some DIY torch refurb info:

http://www.blotorches.com/
>>
>>1010338
GREEN IS MY PEPPER
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.