[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I do a lot of at home vehicle repair, stuff that requires socket
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: toolbox1.jpg (339 KB, 590x432) Image search: [Google]
toolbox1.jpg
339 KB, 590x432
I do a lot of at home vehicle repair, stuff that requires socket wrenches, screwdrivers, Allen keys, even misc electrical... But I don't have a garage. This means I have to drag my tools out to my vehicle. I also have to do this when working on my family's cars too. I figure a bunch of you guys do too. Any recommendations for a good portable toolbox to keep my tools organized? Maybe something with drawers.
>>
>>1008847
I have a Matco on wheels I keep chained to the bed near the cab and my truck has a lift for the tailgate when I need to put it on or take it off.
>>
Something like you have pictured with one of those small, collapsible dollies will work well.
>>
>>1008847
Tons of little drawers? 7 or 8 drawer machinist chest. Fewer larger drawers? 3 drawer machinist chest. Ton of larger drawers? Get a 'top box' (picture related) and something to roll it around on cause it will be too big too carry.

Fuck drawers? Cantilever tool box.

Fuck heavy tool boxes? Tool bag or bags.

Hey, I want a plastic tool box! Well, fuck you.
>>
>>1008870
That thing is really cool, I remember a wooden one my dad had like that. I'll have to search for top boxes.

So far I'm leaning towards a 3 drawer machinist chest, probably with ball bearing drawer slides.
>>
>>1008880
That top box is quite a bit larger than a standard machinist chest. They aren't meant to be moved about by hand much so they are oversized. They are also for mechanics, who generally use larger tools. What your dad probably had was a wooden machinist chest.
>>
File: bucketbuddy.jpg (68 KB, 600x471) Image search: [Google]
bucketbuddy.jpg
68 KB, 600x471
>>1008847
I use a bucket buddy and a couple toolbags.

The toolbags is mostly for keeping all the socket wrenches in so they're not spilled everywhere. Also use the holders or whatever for em too.

I use the bucket buddy to throw all my tools in, and whatever extra I might need to bring.

I have a lot of tools, and I've found this cut me down from 4 small tool boxes down to just pretty much a heavy ass bucket.

Highly recomend a strong bucket and replacing the small metal band with a thick rope instead.

pic related
>>
File: toolbag.jpg (14 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
toolbag.jpg
14 KB, 250x250
>>1009002
also the toolbags I use, cheap at walmart and harborfreight (wallyworld is cheaper)

The bucket buddy you can find anywhere, get a thick durable bucket, not the cheap pos.
>>
I use Dewalt tough system tool boxes at work (electrician), as well as a leather tool bag for the hand tools I use regularly. At home I have a full size Stanley tool box in my basement. If I need a lot of tools, I toss them in a tray and carry them out to whatever I'm working on
>>
>>1008847
I pretty much use the same thing as in your picture OP, I have two of them and it's usually more than enough tools to cover 99% of jobs I do.
>>
File: leathercraft_1579_1.jpg (237 KB, 1500x1094) Image search: [Google]
leathercraft_1579_1.jpg
237 KB, 1500x1094
>>1008847
My apartment is on the second floor, my full size tool chest is in my storage locker.

My first thought was to use my craftsman rally tool box, its the 2 drawer version of this one.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/z/zWAAAOSwZVhWTO1k/$_1.JPG

Loaded with only half of my sockets and wrenches, it was simply too heavy to lug around down some stairs. Especially since I would need a second toolbox to put other tools in.

I ended up buying a tool tote like pic related.
Its long enough for all my socket rails, all my ratchets, and some light misc stuff. Its heavy but reasonable to carry. The handle makes it ok.

Then I bought some smaller tool bags. One has my wrenches (on wrench holders) and screwdrivers/pliers in it, the other has a deadblow hammer and other random stuff.

I carry the tote in one hand, and the 2 bags in the other. Manageable, most of the time has everything I need.
If I am working on something and I need a tool that was not in my 3 main tote and bags, I have an empty bag next to my toolboxes in the apartment. I just run inside, throw the shit into the bag and bring that out too.

That way I never leave my tools out or lose them or whatever. Cleanup is easy, throw shit back into bags and put them in the apartment.
>>
Not to derail the thread but I'm looking for a tool chest that won't pop and flex when you open the drawers but I don't wanna spend 500$ on one either. Can anyone recommend something that's under 300$ that will hold my tools?
>>
>>1009279
Everyone recommends the red Harbor Freight boxes, but even with a coupon those are still over 300$
There is a huge following for them for some reason. I have never even felt them though.

I have a Snap-On toolbox from the 70s I got at a garage sale for 150$
Its your typical 2 -1/2foot 8 drawer toolbox.

I bought an 80s 3-1/2 foot Mac box for 50$, it was in a work truck that caught fire. I had to clean the fire extinguisher shit off of it, but was in alright shape.
It had no casters, and casters are expensive as fuck so I ended up selling it. Didnt really need it.

There are deals to be had depending on where you live.
New toolboxes arent really cheap.
>>
sears has craftsman tool bags on sale all the time

both 13" and 18" for $10
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-13-in-18-in-tool-bag-combo/p-00937537000P

just 13" for $5
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-13-in-tool-bag/p-00937535000P

and that's even before points and cashback
>>
>>1009279
Check out Husky. 52 in 10 drawer for 290 something
>>
So I'm looking at either this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-Drawer-Portable-Tool-Chest-with-Tray-TB-303B/203206053

A Husky 3 drawer.

Or this one: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-drawer-portable-tool-chest/p-00935112000P

Craftsman 3 drawer.

Both are currently $40, both steel, both ball bearing slides, the Craftsman is about an inch taller and 1/2 inch deeper and longer.

Any one have experience with either?
>>
>>1009548
>Craftsman
if you had a rewards account you might also have a $10 off $30 or points back offer
>>
>>1009548

Craftsmen makes good for the money solid tool boxes.

But why not get the Harley one? One less drawer but its fucking Harley.
>>
>>1009670
>But why not get the Harley one? One less drawer but its fucking Harley.

Maybe he doesn't want to associate with fat, bald, middle aged accountants.
>>
>>1009672
>>>1009670
>>But why not get the Harley one? One less drawer but its fucking Harley.
>Maybe he doesn't want to associate with fat, bald, middle aged accountants.

Haha, aww man... I'm working on my mba and my wife's an accountant... And I'm balding. But no Harley thank god.
>>
>>1009670
They used to, not so much anymore.

>>1009548
Shit is gonna be too heavy
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.