[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hobbies that don't require a work space?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (277 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
277 KB, 1920x1080
I live in a apartment and I am bored out of my mind. I wanted to get a hobby but most interesting hobbies require a work space. Apartments are limited and you can't use things that are fire hazards. Like I had a interest in glass working but that requires obviously a torch and that isn't happening in a apartment.

What are some other similar hobbies i could try that are apartment friendly?
>>
>>1008652
Masturbating
>>
>>1008652
Grow hallucinogenic mushrooms. For fun or therapy.
>>
>>1008652
Painting.

Any type of sewing (a sewing machine will pack away and fit on any table)

All i got atm for small. But most things you can work in a small area. Just need a cheap desk to keep everything and like a stool that tucks under it.
>>
Computers and networking. You can get proficient at using virtual machines to simulate a variety of computers and learn different operating systems, networking, and all sorts of useful things.
>>
Download Blender and play with fluid physics.
>>
>>1008652
building / painting models
3d printing
programming
photography
video games
game development
>>
How lame of a life do you have to live to ask random strangers on the internet about picking up hobbies.

Hobbies are supposed to find you, not the other way around.
>>
>>1008691
Good on OP for being proactive and not a lazy piece of shit like you
This is /diy/, not heat-seeking underwater basket weaving shitpost central.
>>
Woodwork. A guy I bought a planer thicknesser off made models in his living room.
>>
Egg carving.

Specialty shit like that
>>
Paracord keychains/bracelets/belts
>>
>>1008652
2bh you can totally do glasswork in an apartment. Torches are small, just open a window for ventilation if you're worried.
>>
>>1008974
This, a torch is no more flame/heat than a gas stove top. just don't be an idiot and do it on top of a pile of gas soaked newspapers.
>>
>>1008652
I;ve met small-item/precision machinists who worked out of 600 sg. ft. studio apartments. space is never a limitation, and landlords are only a limitation so far as their ability to come in and fuck with your stuff. really depends on the lease that you signed. you would be suprised how lacking most leases are in language the specifically prevents you from doing some suprisingly hardcore shit in your apt.

if you aren;t willing to go there, then pick up electronics/robotics. electronics works fucking everywhere.
>>
if you got a desk, or even space in the middle of the room, you can have a small work space, build a small sturdy work bench that folds up, there are plans all over the internet for them

now you have a work space for your hobby

honestly if you want a hobby that doesn't need a work space, get a digital camera and start walking around and taking pictures, walking the cheapest hobby anyone can ever want, the cost of a good pair of shoes which you should have already and maybe some trail mix and water
>>
>>1009041
a small 2'x3' desk and chair, and some basic tools and get into model making
>>
>>1008691
Excellent advice, I will simply wait for an interesting hobby to bite me on the ass.

I'll apply this advice to all of life while I'm at it. What an easy way to live!
>>
Drugs are a good hobby weed and lsd are pretty fun. should keep you busy for a while
>>
Whittling or ham radio
>>
Sewing is a very useful skill that few people now a days possess, just an idea
>>
>>1008652
I had the same problem a few years ago.
I would save empty toilet paper rolls and cover them in patterned duck tape, fill it will pretty rocks from the parking lot. Then I would make little flowers out of construction paper, glue and bright colored pipe cleaners. Insert into your toilet paper roll vase. I sold tons of them at the local flea markets and consignment shops. $10 apiece. I don't have any on hand at the moment.
>>
You could try papercraft, just need a table, xacto and a printer. Plus it's cheap as dirt.
>>
>>1009329
sewing really is a very handy and very underappreciated skill. im able to do basics like buttons and crappy bags but anything with finesse or presentability i have to burn up a favor to get a family friend to do. pretty sure it got me laid a second time when i sewed a button back onto a girls shirt so her grandma didnt freak out on her.
>>
>>1008652
Cooking.
>>
>>1008652
For me personally; I'm picking up on learning UE4 to get into game dev. and animating.
I know that sounds more like "business" but for now it's just hobby. And pretty fun!
Also, 3D printing cuz a friend of mine has a printer, and I design things for it. aayyy
>>
>>1008652
Programming is a great hobby when you do not have a lot of space
also it comes with a lot of benefits, for example you will quickly
notice that you are better at math and solving logical problems
>>
>>1009000
>gas stove top
I've never heard of an apartment with such a thing
>>
>>1010989
Seriously? What, do you live in the fucking ghetto? Any high-end apartment should have a gas cooktop.
>>
File: tumblr_nu3seez4sx1ql6dbio6_500.gif (510 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu3seez4sx1ql6dbio6_500.gif
510 KB, 500x365
>>1008652
Best advice anon for a hobby in an apartment
>Get Netflix
>Watch Bob Ross:Joy of Painting on Netflix
>Buy paint supplies and canvasses (I'd recommend buying 2 large and 2 medium and 1 small canvas)
>Watch the show and paint along with Bob
"There are no mistakes in paintings, only happy accidents" ~ Bob Ross
>>
File: CImacsY.jpg (199 KB, 1439x1978) Image search: [Google]
CImacsY.jpg
199 KB, 1439x1978
>>1008654
That or OK Cupid. Make a game out of it. How big of an asshole can you be and still get laid, or how few messages can you get in before getting her number. Beat par, and maybe get a hole in one. Or two, maybe three...
>>
>>1008691
Kind of like your mom.
>>
tying knots. square knot, clove hitch, monkey fist. maybe even get certified to do marriages?
>>
File: 1367746923672.png (579 KB, 530x550) Image search: [Google]
1367746923672.png
579 KB, 530x550
>>1011323
>>
File: zoero.png (235 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
zoero.png
235 KB, 640x480
>>1011345
what
>>
Linking Chainmail together only takes a small bucket and 2 pliers to do. Added bonus you can sell the work on ebay to recover some cost (not all cost though). You don't need to make armor wears either, a friend of mine made a Chainmail owl from a kit.

If you require faster satisfaction than a months long project I recommend the metal earth models. I knock one of them off in 2-8 hours depending on the number of small pieces. The ATAT was a good first model for me. The 80s batmobile is a tough one though. All you need are flat needle nose pliers and some small cutters. I recommend a modeling razor too.
>>
leather working requires very little room for small projects. I buy leather by the side and cut it down into manageable sized pieces. from there I am able to do everything on my kitchen table.
>>
>>1008669
I AM DOING THIS FOR BOTHA ND MONEY AND IT IS SUPER EASY AND HAS MADE ME NOT WANT TO KILL MYSELF.

Seriously, just having a life you have to worry about and take care of can be extemely soothing.
>>
>>1008652
cosplay, just make costumes of your favorite video game/movie/tv characters and go to cons with them

camping, spend time visiting national parks, travelling, backpacking.. get a single person tent and nice comfy backpack and have some solo adventures

also pick up an instrument if you can but not everyone can just do that.. also if you are in an apartment your neighbors might get loud. i just play my guitar at the park. or maybe you could try electronic music on your computer, theres unlimited possibilities and some nice free software out there for hobbyists
>>
>>1011393
What this anon said

Metal earth builds are fun, I've done a few and had to use only a small pair of tweezers
I've only gotten a few because they seem like dust-collectors to me after a while, though I guess you could sell pre-built models
>>
>>1009064
It's called experimenting jackass.

Works much better than asking to bunch of virgin neckbeards.

Try it.

>inb4 this no /b it is /diy everyone here is mature/engineer/someblablaarrogantbitch go fuck yourself you all same losers.

OP go out you lazy piece of shit. Discover shit yourself!
>>
>>>/ck/?
>>
>>1008697
>This is /diy/, not heat-seeking underwater basket weaving shitpost central.

Thread
>>
File: 1466573342737s.jpg (8 KB, 228x250) Image search: [Google]
1466573342737s.jpg
8 KB, 228x250
>>1012662
Summer is one with us.
>>
>>1009277
LMAO DUDE WEED
summer truly is with us.
>>
shitposting on 4chumz

start practicing on one or two of the slower boards, aim a little higher each day, and in a few years you'll be cycling proxies in order to write several pasta-worthy posts per minute, win international championships and make it pro
>>
>>1008691
Eat a bowl of dicks.
>>
I picked up yoyoing.

Doesn't require much space, just keep breakable shit away.

Cheap to start, maintenance is cheap and easy, most tricks aren't super hard, plus you feel awesome when you figure out a new trick.
>>
File: Goliathus cacicus1.jpg (75 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Goliathus cacicus1.jpg
75 KB, 400x300
How about beetle breeding ?
>>
practice getting the fuck out of your apartment. thats what i do.
>>
>>1012950
>practice getting the fuck out of your apartment. thats what i do.
>practice getting the fuck out of your apartment.
>thats what i do.
>practice
>present tense

Have you perfected the use of your front door yet anon?

because you seem pretty frustrated
have you perfected
>>
File: Rule 1 of Civilization.gif (503 KB, 500x245) Image search: [Google]
Rule 1 of Civilization.gif
503 KB, 500x245
>>1012829
>>
>>1010801
this
just check out /po/ (not to be confused with /pol/)
>>
>>1013235
It's not present, it's imperative.

ESL, please go and stay go.
>>
>>1012662
>You're not supposed to find hobbies, hobbies are supposed to find you
>You're supposed to try hobbies to see if you like it

pick one
>>
>>1008652
Drawing or painting. Drawing is more ergonomic. Writing more so.
>>
>>1008652
Arduino. Pick up a cheap clone, some basic electronics (no expensive "shield" stuff and start by doing some simple projects. It doesnt take a lot of space and its super fun to automate stuff.
>>
>>1008652
Papercrafting, all you need is a printer, a cutter and glue
>>
>>1012865
Might as well start skating. It feels awesome learning a new trick
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.