[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Muh Sawzall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1023 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1023 KB, 3264x2448
Is it worth fixing? Basically you put the blade in and it turns on like normal but the blade isnt moving anymore so it's obviously useless and I need it because I scrap metal for a living. Have no idea what happened to it or what's wrong. But if like to try and fix it myself. What should I do?
>>
>>1008352
1. stop shopping at home depot
2. stop relying on the cheapest tool you could buy for your living
3. stop making your living by stealing other peoples shit
>>
>>1008352
If nothing else, take it apart and put it back together just for fun. Sometimes you can visually spot the problem with tools like this.
>>
Sounds like there's something roached in the drivetrain. Probably the pinion gear off the motor. Common weak point on cheap reciprocating saws. It's garbage.
>>
I dislike scrappers.

They are like real life Jawas. only more annoying.
>>
>>1008367
I only go through alleys I don't steal stuff
>>
>>1008356
What's wrong with Home Depot?
>>
>>1008364
When it broke I was using it to cut down a dead pine tree
>>
>>1008372
Let me guess, you are a mexican.
>>
>>1008374
let me guess, you sunk the blade into the tree to the point it didn't come out the other side of the tree, at which point it broke
>>
>>1008376
No I'm European American
>>
>>1008402
No I was cutting off small limbs off the tree for my neighbor. It was super shaggy and he didn't have chainsaw. I usually use my sawzall on compressors and motors to get the copper out.
>>
>>1008409
Cutting down a tree and trimming a tree are not even close to the same thing.
>>
>>1008352

Had some gear stored under tarps, scrappers came and fucked it all up. Had an old 75 hp scroll compressor, they fucking gutted the wiring. Also had a shipping container, they fucking cut the locks and broke into it, stole $2k worth of batteries and 6k worth of flexible solar panels.

You may think yourself a good or ethical scrap thief but your on a slippery slope and I hope you get stabbed by an aids needle while dumpster diving and die. You are bad and should feel bad.
>>
Google make and model number and "replacement parts" then see websites for exploded views.

Read about power tool repair. I fix lots of them. Most just need a commutator cleaning and brushes. It's worth learning even if you don't fix that saw.

BTW I found out that tile workers kill brushes quickly because dust so now I look for quality tools with grout all over them and buy 'em for a few dollars. I clean them out, use a Cratex rubber abrasive to clean commutators, throw brushes in them and add to my collection. You can never have too many angle grinders, drills or saws.

That said, that Ryobi is probably not worth fixing but I keep such as hardware donors.

I suggest you look for a corded Milwaukee Sawzall. The old style without quick change blades go cheap, and replacement socket head screws and blade retainers are cheap online.

If you make a living scrapping, get more than one saw. There are scrap forums where you can get tips to be more efficient.
>>
I saw what i think was a max level scrapper the other day...

>pick up truck
>over loaded with scrap like they all are
>hulling a trailer
>it was another scraper pick up truck
>.... overloaded with more scrap
>with yet more scrap piled around and inside the scrapper pickup.

It was like scrapception or something.
>>
>>1008666
Scrapper get

I had some meth head neighbors for a few months. They scrapped. They filled up a pickup bed, heaping, to where the top of the pile was at least 10 feet higher than the top of the cab. One of them was following it down the street on foot as it creeped, picking shit up as it fell off and throwing it back on, desks, rebar, parts of a washing machine, coat hangers...I have never seen anything that bad. I once lived in the ghetto and saw 2 crack heads run down the street with a furnace in the middle of winter, I think the scrap barge was worse.
>>
>>1008605

Is a "scrapper" always a thief in the US?

I only know 2 scrappers and they are legitimate business men and one deals in ferrous and the other in non-ferrous
>>
>>1008726
Not all of them are, but there are some asshole scrappers that steal shit and gives all of them a bad name
>>
>>1008356
Home depot is fine.
Ryobi was not the cheapest sawzall they had.
I just scrapped an air conditioner the size of your car today. I do it for my work. Not everyone who scraps is a copper thief.

I'm not OP, but you should stop being such a dick.
>>
>>1008726
There are scrap yard and recycling centers and shit like that.

A scrapper is a guy that goes around pulling copper out of walls, breaking tvs for the yokes and cords and leaving the trash on the sidewalk, cutting 'unused' pho e lines, breaking into construction sites to steal their scrap bin...

Yes, pretty much.
>>
>>1008726
No, but most are. For a while in Dallas you'd hear about crackheads causing tens of thousands of dollars of damage for $300 of scrap, seemed like only on churchs and schools.
Usually the only legal scrappers are contactors retrofitting the shit they're scrapping with new product, and you'd never see them post on this Cantonese Pie-baking forum.
Even now that I make great money, if I get a project that has easy to access copper pneumatic lines that need to be removed, I'll get dirty for those.

>I scrapped/cleaned up my old family farm and had 4 generations of bullshit to haul off, started off as easy money until I ran out of copper, brass and aluminum. Got sprayed in the face with ammonia once in a pasture from an old AC coil.
>Then was the hardest job I've worked when it came time for cutting old iron with a torch and dangerously large shit like old combines and all for maybe $20 a day at the end.
Saved the old tractor seats and made chairs or stools out of them for $50 each too.
>>
I call them gypos or pikies
>>
>>1008605
I had a 1949 packard with a straight 8
I pulled off the bumpers, fenders, hood, trunk etc.

I was gutting it and going to do work on the panels.
They were outside for ONE NIGHT under a tarp and some low life scum stole them all.

I was just so mad and defeated I just sold the gutted car for much less than I paid for it. Just to get rid of the thing.
I despise anyone who considers themselves a scrapper.

You see these toothless fucks driving around 1985 F150s, filled with kids bikes lawn chairs and other random trash.

Im glad scrap prices have gone down, maybe these methheads can find actual employment
>>
>>1008744
A year or two ago there was a huge amount of people breaking into "abandoned" like foreclosed or vacation/summer homes, or newly built homes and just ripping the walls out.
Lot of commercial air conditioner units got gutted too.

It was a huge problem a few years ago, city said they were going to force the scrapping places to keep better records or something.
It coincidentally got bad with the Heroin influx, the overdose deaths doubled from like 6 years ago.
>>
>>1008735
>Not everyone who scraps is a copper thief.

OP is, read his posts
>>
>>1008726
It isn't inherently illegal, technically anything left on the curb is up for grabs (I sometimes see some good stuff in my neighborhood that I take; recent example: a surface-rusted firewood rack that I spray painted and left on the ugly side of my house). Though the people that do it for income often go way beyond that and steal shit from construction sites and whatnot.
>>
>>1008804
>technically anything left on the curb is up for grabs
Not true.

Anything you don't "dishonestly misappropriate" is yours.

It's not "dishonest" if:
- the owner can never be found (a $1 bill, for example)
or
- there's a good reason to believe the owner does not want it

If there's a bunch of scrap on the kerb because a team is clearing out a house, and they're coming back for the next load in twenty minutes, you can't just legally take it, any more than you can have the car that someone just left by the side of the road.
>>
>>1008789
>A man who scraps and owns a sawzall is a thief
If you gets your kicks out of trolling /diy/, keep on keeping on.
>>
>>1008810
Perhaps, though, some personal responsibility is required here, as metal by the curb is the universal signal to please take my old shit away.
If a 'team' is removing shit from my house, they'd better not be throwing it in my fucking yard. They better have a trailer or a truck. It is your intention to convince anyone here that junk on the side of the road is not just trash, and I'm not really sure why you're overly concerned with this standard procedure.

By the way, abandoned cars are gathered by the state and sold as scrap if no one claims them. Isn't it ironic how everything you said was incorrect?
>>
>>1008810
Putting stuff to the curb is the legal definition of "tossing something out". A crew clearing a house never puts stuff to the curb they plan on keeping for themselves. There are also times construction crews, and mechanic shops will have a dedicated scrapper who pics up all their metals.

Now if they go past the curb without the owner's approval, they're thieves.
>>
>>1008811
>having distaste for the scum that are scrappers
>"trolling"
>>
>>1008726
Most of the time.
Only legitimate one I know takes shit that people give him or obviously are throwing out, and does it as a second job.

Best scrapper story is the pair of guys who decided to steal 30kV wire with a bolt cutter.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.