[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /diy/ think of ordering tools and shit from China?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9
File: IMG_20160614_104844_1677700307.jpg (178 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160614_104844_1677700307.jpg
178 KB, 800x800
What does /diy/ think of ordering tools and shit from China?

I want to get into diy but I'm a poorfag.
Prices online are much better than local and the products look alright. For example, a heat gun from Bunnings is $49, or $26 from aliexpress.
I understand it'll most likely be off inferior quality, but how bad can it be?

1500W adjustable tempreature hot air gun Carved oil sludge heater oil sludge softening electric engine heat gun Europe plug
http://s.aliexpress.com/3qUnmYZv
(from AliExpress Android)

New Blue Cordless Welding Pen Burner Butane Gas Blow Torch Soldering Solder Iron Gun #ZH078
http://s.aliexpress.com/YnY3QjyA

F85 Mini 22mm 5PCS Sharp Rotary Diamond Cutting Discs Disks Dremel Tools With A Rod
http://s.aliexpress.com/fABR3ymu

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261676617241

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172137822987
>>
>want to /diy/
BUT
>you're a poorfag

Jesus Christ. Kids these days. Back in my day, we had to fix our own shit because we were too poor to pay somebody to fix it, not because we only had enough money to pay the mechanic/plumber/etc. and weren't able to buy tools. It was necessity, /diy/ BECAUSE you're a poorfag.
>>
>>1008257
look on craigslist or ebay instead
>>
>>1008264
He might mean he wants to learn DIY things as a hobbyist/new skill (which will then later allow him to fix his own things) but to just buy equipment with no NEED can feel expensive
>>
depends.

Mainly if you're looking for high quality stuff china might not be the best venue. If you're looking for the low to mid range it's going to be a much much better value for equal if not better quality than you will get locally. (the low end stuff locally is just shit from china anyways)

Some stuff like screw drivers for instance, yeah quality is nice, the bits don't strip, but I can't afford that, so my options are pay $20 for shit locally or pay $5 for shit from china. Same quality.

So yeah that heat gun is probably fine. It's not going to be the last one you own however, but neither is the one from the local place.

The cordless welding pen is probably useless. Just get a normal soldering iron - ones from china are good. https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Electronic_and_computer_goods#Electrical_DIY look there.
>>
File: 1461347161059.gif (978 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1461347161059.gif
978 KB, 350x197
>>1008257
Definitely try stuff like Craigslist and eBay. Garage sales can pay off big too. I got lucky, my dad was a farmer so I have 90% of all the tools I could need. Anytime I want something modern like a hilti or a sonic tool I use a site called kijiji. Got a decent condition hilti dd130 with frame,vacuum and water tank for 250 CDN. Those are usually more than that to rent for a day in my area. Don't give China anymore money for God's sake anon
>>
>>1008273
That's exactly what I meant. I want to start learning to diy my own things, it looks like a fun and productive hobby.

Maybe later down the track I could pick up better tools as I need them.

>>1008279
Butane soldering irons heat up much faster and are more convenient overall.

>>1008295
Will give those a look. Can't do local pickups though.
>>
There really is not grand verdict on Chinese stuff. Researching online will just leave you chasing your tail. I say just buy it and if it works for you it's a win, if not then lesson learned.
>>
File: coolbit_459870.jpg (7 KB, 251x300) Image search: [Google]
coolbit_459870.jpg
7 KB, 251x300
>>1008257
>What does /diy/ think of ordering tools and shit from China?
The general durability and fit/precision tends to be lower. A lot of it can work well enough tho.

>1500W adjustable temperature hot air gun ...
In the USA, if you want a simple heat gun the easiest place to get one is the paint department of any big hardware store. They sell heat guns for stripping paint.
I paid for an adjustable-temperature heat gun; it cost quite a bit more but I find it much more useful and I rarely ever use it on the max heat setting.

>New Blue Cordless Welding Pen Burner Butane Gas Blow Torch Soldering Solder Iron Gun #ZH078
I've never had one. It is portable, if you need that ability. Good cartridge-style electric soldering irons only take ~20-30 seconds to heat up.

>F85 Mini 22mm 5PCS Sharp Rotary Diamond Cutting Discs
The dremel-style diamond disks and cutoff wheels (that I've bought) all work like they're supposed to.
The China/generic mounted grinding stones do not. They tend to be mounted pretty crooked, and the glue lets go if it heats up much....

> ,,,,,, .ebay.com.au/itm/261676617241 (solder)
Get one and see how it goes. Could be okay, could be garbage.

> ,,,,,,, ebay.com.au/itm/172137822987 (micro drills)
ALL of these I have bought (from several different China sources) turned out to be made of very soft steel. They aren't HSS at all.
HSS is [air-hardening] steel, it snaps off if you bend it more than a little bit. These bits are so soft that you could take two pairs of pliers and tie them in a knot and they won't break.
They are sold for "jewelry and craft work"; they would drill through wood and plastics. Might go through thin [soft] aluminium or copper if you go really slow, but they will wear out soon from that. They won't go thru steel, at all.
>>
>>1008257
OP buy the ozito heat gun from bunnings

3 years warranty at minimum, even if you go back in 4 years later you'll still get a new one.

even if it breaks 3+ times over the course of it's life you only pay once, whereas there ain't no replacements from aliexpress

source: work at bunnings

not trying to shill for the company, just an honest opinion
>>
Buy the cheapest shit possible. Replace whatever breaks with quality stuff.
>>
>>1008449
This, if you use it enough to break it it means that you are going to use it enough to need a good quality version. You don't want to spend a lot of money on something you won't use often, if you're just getting into something it's best to start on the low end and work your way up, that way if you find out that it's not your thing, no big loss
>>
>>1008257
Check out /csg/ in >>>/g/ it's all about chink shit.

They will help you out if you have questions and shit.
>>
>>1008279
Just reminding you that your stuff already comes from china. It just has a reliable name on it. Only thing you have to look for is a good seller on a chink site.
>>
I got this heatgun

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Temperature-Adjustable-Electronic-Hot-Air-Heat-Gun-110V-220V-1800W-Hand-Held-Hot-Gun/32222788215.html

It really IS adjustable unlike the one you link to, I really like the low airflow for heat shrink.
>>
>>1008456
>/g/
>with new gpus coming out
No. That place will be a shithole with no room for this shit.
>>
>>1008257
It's the middle of yard sale season, Y U No Look At Yard Sales!?!?

Also go check out the flea markets and CL for stuff, if you have a junkyard nearby then go ask them what they do with all the old tools and shit they find in cars they are going to wreck, half my tools auto tools came from the junkyard, they often will have a big box or barrel filled with auto tools found inside autos.
>>
>>1008453
>>1008449
the problem is if it's so cheap that it breaks one of the first times you use it, or if it's not capable enough to actually be used for much.
>>
I prefer to buy old, decent quality tools from ebay and shit. I personally wouldnt give the shitty chinese manufactures a red cent, it only encourages them to make more one use only, landfill filling, junk
>>
>>1008445
lol can confirm. My old boss brought 3 of those little, portable CIG welder for on site work and had them replaced about once a month for a couple of years at least the couple of years I was there.
>>
There seems to be a wide variation in quality as far as Chinese stuff goes. There's some complete junk and some great deals. So ordering online is obviously risky without having a chance to handle and inspect before hand.
As others have said, tons of good deals on used, flea markets, craigslist , ebay ect.
Personally I preferred name brand, American made tools from the 50s-70s. This stuff was built to last forever.
>>
Try Harbor Freight.
>>
>>1009103
That still will be poor quality chinese shit, you're just paying twice or thrice the actual price just to have harbor freight branding on it
>>
>>1008264
It's fucking DIY. This is literally poorfag's club.

People are all doing shit tier and dangerous fixes. People think contractors are rip offs so they decide to bury some shipping containers
>>
>>1008373
This. Though in general the rule is the smae as it is all over the world - you get what you pay for. Chinese can make great stuff, if you're willing to pay american or European prices for it. anything much below that and the gamble is on you.
>>
>>1008720
>It's the middle of yard sale season, Y U No Look At Yard Sales!?!?
because if you want to get something done now, you have a specific thing you want now, and you don't want to spend the next few months wandering a bunch of yard sales and looking through random piles of junk,,,, hoping that you find one,,,, that is in useful condition ,,,,and that isn't overpriced, considering its condition

some people like cruising yard sales, and they do find great deals--but it's an entirely separate hobby, and one that is a huge time sink when all you want is a specific item
>>
>>1008257
I've use that solder you're looking at, it works alright.

My dad loves it because it's so cheap, but I prefer thicker, local, solder which isn't much more expensive anyways because I'm friends with the guy selling it.
>>
>>1008257
You van try to buy chinese, but avoid Alibaba i think.
>>
I got one of op's pic related. The tip melted when I tried to solder with it.
>>
>>1010732
That sounds like fun
>>
>>1008257

Don't really like ching chong shit.

I stick to german quality, like Knipex, Weidmüller or Wiha. As an soldering iron i use one from Weller.
>>
>>1008279
>>1008458
>>1008257
Something to look at, I know its directed at preteens but the Wish app is really good with their customer service. The prices usually match Aliexpress and their refund service is literally, if there's any issue we give you a full refund.
I've ordered LED lights from WISH in the bar shapes for making custom taillights. One led bar had a disconnected wire. I took a quick picture and clicked a button, within minutes they sent me a message saying that they were going to give me a full refund. I also get to keep the LEDs. So I'll just resolder the wire. Shits great.
>>
Its hit or miss.

I bought a nice name brand glue gun and it was an utter pile of shit.

Then I bought a Chinese overpowered special, it melts glue in fucking seconds.

I also use the "buy cheap, see if I use it, if so then buy a good one next time".
>>
>>1008298
>That's exactly what I meant. I want to start learning to diy my own things, it looks like a fun and productive hobby.

The problem is...WHAT do you want to /diy/?

I'm one of the few insane enough to try to do damn near anything I can the /diy/ route, and, let me tell you, it's crazy expensive in terms of tooling and the excess materials you almost always have to buy, takes a load of time, and you can very easily end up with something shittier than you can get for less money by just buying it outright.

It's a balancing act between "how much do I want to spend on tools", "how much time do I want to spend on this", "how well will it work", and "how shitty will it look". I'm generally willing to pay generously on the first two, so my garage is full of all kinds of tools, including a small lathe (think machinist, not woodworker) and DIY CNC router/mill. Nevermind the years of just derping around with them and watching other people derp around on them in order to develop good usage habits and manufacturing techniques. Now, I can make just about anything out of any material, but it cost me dearly in order to get here. I don't regret it, but just FYI.

Really, though, /diy/ is a mentality. Despite everything I've just wrote (even if it has substantial real-life relevance), you don't need a bunch of stuff to achieve it. It's more about the practice of actively attempting to understand how the things around you work, which, in turn, allows you to have a look at something and go "I could probably fix this..." rather than immediately deciding to trash it without even a cursory investigation into the issue. You can't just go out and start buying tools unless you already know what you need to be doing. You're lucky enough to live at a time where lots of incredibly specific information is readily available to you with just a few clicks and keystrokes. You need to figure out exactly what you want to do, then build as you go. That goes for your tool collection, too.
>>
>>1011625
I like you.

>>1011613
This. I've bought a soldering iron that was advertised as 40w, but got nowhere near as hot as my dads 40w iron, and it also pulled itself apart in 2 weeks.

I bought a mini screwdriver set that is fantastic quality and cheaper than anything else local.

I also discovered amazing shit like the pam8403.
>>
>>1011706
>pam8403
Simply amazing value.

Also tp4056
>>
>>1008264
Hah I was going to say. All these fucks coming through saying "I want to get into diy". Instead of saying "hey I should call someone to fix that - wait no, I'll just do it myself!"
>>
>>1012712
I think op meant it more like a hobby
>>
>>1008257
https://shop.dremeleurope.com/gb/en/productdetails/dremel-versaflame--344
I had this one, for welding it was piece of shit, I actually never managed to weld something with it, but for glass work, melting lead, some funny crazy stuff, etc... it was great. (but gas container cracked and gas started to leak from the bottle, so now I have very expensive piece of shit)
I have ordered exactly this flamer as in the op`s picture, a few days ago, so when it arrives, I can write here how it is, but my guess is, that it will not be good choice for welding.

Just curious, does /diy have some brand chart, what is good brand for tools and what not? What is good for hobby and what is good for professionals?
>>
>>1008257
check out the chink shit generals on /g/
>>
>>1013077
>/g/
Don't do this. It's worse than /pol/.
>>
>>1013083
the whole site is trash, man up faggot, /csg/ is useful at least
>>
>>1013561
>I ate my dogs poop once

Fucking why, how could you recommend this to anyone?
>>
>>1008257
>thread is 12 days old
I knew diy was a slow board, but not this slow...
>>
>>1008257
Genuinely curious how long I can keep this thread up.

Bump.
>>
File: sweat_pants_greyhound.jpg (58 KB, 479x640) Image search: [Google]
sweat_pants_greyhound.jpg
58 KB, 479x640
Just bought a bunch of hardware from China actually.
Got a soldering iron kit with solder, flux, and some other tools for just under 10$. Works great, but with no temperature adjustment it's a little bit or miss.
Also purchased a rotary tool with a "100 piece kit". It's really just a couple bits and a bunch of sanding and cutting circles. Still, the thing works good and with the 17$ i paid for it.
Last one was the heat gun. Haven't used it too much due to the fact that when i turned the thing on it started fucking smoking. I'm not sure if that's a normal thing, but who knows. Okay construction quality, feels like it won't beat soon. Paid 15$ for the thing.
So yeah, you can get some pretty good deals on hardware, just check around. I bought all these from eBay, but there are other shops online. Hope this helped.
>>
>>1013930
>only 12
We've got threads that'll last a month or more. Usually because the OP is a shitbird who won't let his shitty thread die, but still
>>
>>1011613
>I also use the "buy cheap, see if I use it, if so then buy a good one next time".
I have a similar philosophy about tools:

1. Buy a cheap one
2. If you need it a lot but it doesn't work well due to poor quality or design, THEN you should consider buying a better one.

This is the way intelligent people should behave.
MOST people's tools gather dust MOST of the time, and a $5 wrench will do that just as well as a $50 wrench will.
>>
>>1014988
I prefer the "if I need it, buy quality, If I might need it, buy only if the price is right".

Best option is to hit up Garage Sales and Markets/Swap Meets. 2nd hand consumer grade power tools can be had for $5-20 a piece.
>>
>>1008257

I used to use something like this for smoking tweak
>>
File: pinghai1.jpg (165 KB, 724x500) Image search: [Google]
pinghai1.jpg
165 KB, 724x500
>>1008413
The lesson from all that being, you might be OK, but you're taking a gamble. Might save $20 but might end up being out thew whole cost since it broke immediately.

>>1008788
Or you're trying to learn a new skill and your equipment is so shitty you can't even do the thing to see if you like it
>>
>>1008413
>They tend to be mounted pretty crooked
You know you're meant to true the stone with that bit of stone they give you, right?
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 206x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 206x371
>>1008298
>Butane soldering irons heat up much faster and are more convenient overall.
This is not true, particularly if you're starting out.

Butane irons heat up about the same speed as battery irons, but you can fill a battery iron back up with electricity just by sticking it in its dock.

Butane irons need to be lit every time you want them to be on, whereas battery irons you just push the switch. You can even vary the tip temperature by load-cycling the button.

And in any case, mains irons are easier and more convenient than both. You just dial in the temperature of your solder, switch it on, and leave it in the stand hot. Always the right temperature, never have to wait for it to heat up.
>>
>>1008257
That's not very nationalist of you anon...
>>
>>1009106
Difference is I can drive to HF myself rather than wait 2 months for the straight from China shit to get to my house.
>>
>>1016604
Shut up.
>>
been said probably a million times already but power tools are probably at their best value when you get them used or refurbished from the manufacturer. accessories like drill bits and lesser things like screwdrivers such you can find just stuff just as good from china.
>>
File: image_15072.jpg (106 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image_15072.jpg
106 KB, 1200x1200
I bought a spray gun from china for €8
They sell the same one at Harbor Freight as "Mini Detail Gun" for $15 or something like that

The thread for the paint volume knob broke inside the gun when I was disassembling it for cleaning.

Fucking China.
>>
>>1008257
That gas soldering iron in OPs picture is actual garbage and would advise everyone to stay away from it; the torch itself works but the tip will melt. That aside, if you buy an iron like this, at least get one that can ignite itself, otherwise it's a pain.
>>
>>1008257
Bought a $4.32 soldering iron through Amazon. I wired a switch into the line because it was either plugged in or off. Now that's not unusual for cheap irons, but if you left it plugged in for more than 4 or 5 minutes it got WAY to hot and would burn the flux without touching it, and would heat up the handle making it too hot to hold after ~10 minutes. The switch made it possible to sit down and work on something constantly just by cycling on and off.

Are you willing to do that sort of shit with all your tools? If no, then buy tools that don't suck balls.
>>
File: portasol^4.jpg (21 KB, 570x378) Image search: [Google]
portasol^4.jpg
21 KB, 570x378
>>1016546
The whole point of butane irons is using them away from a power source.

Have had one of these at work for over 20 years.
>>
>>1018462
I had a cheap iron that wouldn't burn hot enough, from China.

Ended up buying local for $20
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.