[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bought pic related from lowes. online showed it came with the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 16
File: 885911303507.jpg (183 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
885911303507.jpg
183 KB, 900x900
Bought pic related from lowes.

online showed it came with the (what i think is) newer red rapid charger.

Box had (what i think is) the older black charger which has a "RAPID CHARGE!!!" sticker on it.

Wanted the red one because it is more slim and can be put on a 2x4 stud rather in an annoying spot somewhere else.

Not sure how mad i should be or how much of a bitch fit i should throw about it. Anyone here that has worked both and can comment?

I doubt ill end up caring much in the long run... but damnit i want was was advertised!
>>
Well your first mistake was buying cordless from Porter Cable.
>>
>>1008164

Oh? Why is that?

From the reviews i have seen they seem to be a solid tool for the money.

Not contractor grade for sure but also not contractor grade price. Better then harbor freight but also more money.

All i need is decent tools that will hold up to a few remodels and me using them in a hobby level wood shop.

To get the comparable set from dewalt im looking at another $150 to $200.
>>
If you're that butthurt about it just return them for a refund
>>
>>1008166
>To get the comparable set from dewalt im looking at another $150 to $200
what? what is "comparable"?

there is a big range between HF quality and putting out several hundred bucks...but if you're going to, you may as well go for a better brand even if it isn't as flashy

there are dewalt combo kits for $150-200, which is way more for the simple craftsman drill/drivers I got dirt cheap, and I've used them for quite a number of projects (shoot, I think I even saw a dewalt impact on clearance at sears once for $40 something, if I had scratch at the time I would have snatched it)
>>
>>1008173

What is so much better about a dewalt other then the color of plastic and the name on the side?

Arnt PC and Dewalt both owned by the same company?

Yeah the dewalt tools i have used have been nice. And so have the PC tools i have used.
>>
There's something in the retail business called an "exchange". It's where you swap what you have for what is supposed to be. Just do one, they'll make it right. I know if I went into the grocery store and paid for whole milk and they brought me 2% I'd have them take it back and get me the right stuff. It's my choice what I spend my money on, not theirs. They won't even care, it's their job. Come on bro...
>>
>>1008192

Tried that.

Guy went back and looked in tool section even though i already did that.

None of sets they had at the store had the correct charger.

Was told the one in the box is the new model.

Shoping around online now to see if its worth spending the extra money for brushless dewalt.
>>
>>1008166
>better than harbor freight
Maybe not, for a while the only differences between a harbor freight and Milwaukee cordless drill were the switch and the battery. The other inside parts were Milwaukee parts that they over produced.
>>
>>1008193

Going from a homeowner Porter Cable to a brushless DeWalt? You dont need to go that crazy, hoss. Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Ridgid, etc all make good middle range tools that contractors use on a daily basis. Brushless is high end money that you really dont need unless youre an actual high end contractor.
>>
>>1008173
Clearance now is like $5 off.. its fucking pathetic.
>>
File: DEWDCK296M2.jpg (477 KB, 1200x723) Image search: [Google]
DEWDCK296M2.jpg
477 KB, 1200x723
>>1008213

Well slap my ass and call me sally.

Home depot had the dewalt brushless hammerdrill and driver combo kit on sale for $300. Lowes did a price match and took another %10 off.

Was another $100 over the PC set to get the brushless dewalts. An upgrade i think was worth it.

Will likely use the hammer drill on the "drill" setting most of the time. but i do have some future projects where the hammer drill setting will come in handy.

>$100 more
>better name for what thats worth
>brushless
>got a hammer drill
>4 amp hours batteries vs 1.5
>sticker on the side saying its built in the USA! (with global materials)

wife not happy i spent an extra $100. whatever, ill just work a b it of overtime.

overall im a happy camper now.

And to think, all this started because of a stupid charger.
>>
>>1008260
I am absolutely a dewalt fanboy, and you made the right choice. Welcome to the prestigious club, my friend.

I actually dropped my impact in a sink full of water with my 5ah battery in it. Didnt use it for 2 hours, but I kept checking to make sure the battery was holding its charge. Both the battery and drill leaved out water like mad, but both still work to this day. Ive dropped them from 10-15 feet up, used them for anything and everything, and submersed them for at least 30 seconds while I got off my ladder. These are my daily go to tools.

I'm sure other stuff works great, maybe even at a lower price, but dewalt has never failed me like my HF impact did, and like my black and Decker did.

Currently have:
Impact
Hammer
Sawzall
With 1 5 ah and one 3 or 4, whatever yours came with. For those that work with them, they have a Bluetooth battery that alerts you when it leaves your immediate area.
>>
>>1008265
>Leaved out water
Leaked
>>
>>1008173
ACE has the old nicad drills/impacts for 80 dollars right now.
>>
>>1008265

>I am absolutely a dewalt fanboy
>Welcome to the prestigious club

Never heard Snap On pronounced "dewalt" before.
>>
>>1008277
I never heard Makita pronounced "Snap on" before.
>>
File: 480349.jpg (192 KB, 532x330) Image search: [Google]
480349.jpg
192 KB, 532x330
>>1008278

That would be because Makita is around the milwaukee level.

Better then dewalt but not near the same level as snap on.
>>
>>1008286
>Better than dewalt
I've used both, there really isn't much difference between the two from what I've seen.
What I like about makitas is that their batteries charge really quickly, and their 12v line seem really nice for 12v tools. What I like more about dewalts is that the 20v max line has really comfortable grips, and the lights on the drill/impact driver are far superior. In a pinch, you can use them as a flashlight, which I can't say for my makitas. I haven't had a chance to try dewalt's 12v line yet.
>>
>>1008286
My shop owns a Snap-on cordless. Would not recommend. It has broken more than our cheap Milwaukees. Hand tools I use Snap-on for sure but no electric or pneumatic for me.
>>
>>1008260
I was looking at dewalt drills at lowes today.. the drills and impacts are fucking tiny, like what the fuck? its made for a child or a woman now?
Ive used them before and they were normal.. why are they making everything tiny now?
>>
>>1008303
last time I checked the snapon electric was all private labeled Ingersoll Rand, which is usually pretty good in my experience
>>
>>1008322

Its not the size of the drill that counts its how you use it!

Smaller size drills are easier to get into tighter places. and they still have the power needed to get the job done.

complaining about that is like saying "cell phones" from the 80's are better then todays cell phones because they were bigger.
>>
>>1008332
>Ingersoll Rand
They're stuff can be uneven. Never had a problem with their pneumatic stuff but their electrical stuff is mixed. They used to own a couple of very good hand tool companies (Millers Falls) but they let them go to pot and then shut them down in the 80s. These days they seem to care more about saving money (they moved their HQ to Bermuda, then Ireland) and buying and selling off parts of themselves then making tools.
>>
>>1008322
That's what happens when you don't need brushes or a chuck
>>
>>1008322
Brushless motors
Lithium ion batteries are much smaller
Slide on as opposed to pod and stem/magazine batteries.
>>
>>1008362
I know its not the size that counts, but I want something I can actually grip.
Also, just thought about this, the smaller design probably means less plastic in the housing, meaning its more likely to crack dent or bend when struck or dropped.

>>1008369
why would the get rid of chucks?

>>1008382
Never got why they did this.
They should use the extra space that was saved to add even more lithium ion cells.
>>
>>1008158
Chicago Electric in disguise...
>>
>>1008565
The cells of the battery have to be in multiples of five, and lithium cells are only available in certain sizes unless you want the batteries to be insanely expensive. The 5Ah batteries for dewalts are almost as big as the old 2Ah nicads, so if you're okay with bulk, there are options for you.
>>
>>1008565
>cannot into ergonomics

Then buy dewalts premium 20v line, not their little 12v drills. They're big and clunky like you prefer.

Also impact drivers can't have chucks. They'd open under use.

And you can't just "add extra cells". Li-ion tech doesn't work like ni-cad.
>>
>>1008631
>Li-ion tech doesn't work like ni-cad.
How so?
>>
>>1008635
You cant let them run flat. Nicd are dumb you just llplug them I to the motor.I ion you need to monitor voltage so it does t get too low, and monitor temp so they don't explode, and balance cells during charging so they don't explode.
>>
>>1008663
Nicads will die if you let them run flat for too long, same goes for all batteries. All batteries have a max temp too.
>>
>>1008841
Ni cad is just a lot more forgiving of abuse.
>>
>>1008841
>>1008635

Nicd you can run flat repeatedly with minimal issues
Li-po/li-ion you can run flat once and its ruined

Nicd you can just throw on a charger and when the cells reach capacity they will just burn the excess energy off as heat
Li-po/Li-ion will just keep accepting the charge until it explodes

Main reason lithium cells are used is because they an handle a fuckload of current unlike nicd
>>
>>1008631
Why did they get rid of the squar bit on the impacts? What is this round bullshit hole they all have now?
>>
>>1008841
>>1008877
What does "running flat" means? Draining all the energy of the battery?
>>
>>1008892
Going past minimum voltage.
>>
>>1008891
Huh?
>>
>>1008892
draining the energy out of the battery
You dont have to worry about this in your tool batteries, they have protection circuits in them that cut off the power to the tool when they reach their safe limit.
>>
>>1008901
>>1008891
Think he's confusing the wrenches from the drivers
>>
File: fuck2.jpg (60 KB, 336x600) Image search: [Google]
fuck2.jpg
60 KB, 336x600
>>1008909
>>1008901
Was in lowes looking at the dewalt drills and impacts. The drills and what looks like their impacts, short and nubby, only had a hole in it with a socket thing like you would find on an air hose. The drills didnt have chucks, and the impacts didnt have the wrachet thing.. they only had holes like an airhose.
I dont know how to describe it.. it looked fucking stupid.
>>
File: square thing.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
square thing.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
>>1008936
>>1008909
>>1008901
I expected them to have this square thing
>>
>>1008936
>>1008937
You are indeed confusing drivers with wrenches.

They're two totally different tools with different purposes.
>>
>>1008937
>>1008936
You fucking tard
An impact driver and an impact wrench are different tools.

You looked up pictures and still couldnt figure it out?

One is for driving screws, lag bolts, and light duty bolt removal.
The other is your typical impact wrench with tons of torque.
>>
>>1008936
>they only had holes like an airhose.

Youve never seen a 1/4 hex bit before?
>>
>>1008940
Learn something new every day. Whats with the weird end on it? When I google impact wrench they all have the thing that accepts sockets.

>>1008941
Still not explaining the fucking air hose socket on the end. Dick.
Were you born with this knowledge already in your head? no? go fuck yourself.
>>
>>1008943
>Still not explaining the fucking air hose socket on the end

Its a mini electric air compressor!
You hook air tools up to it!

Them damn chinese dreamed it up, I wish they would go back to the old "wratchet" style!
>>
>>1008942
I was sorta blacking out when I saw it, but Im pretty sure it wasnt a 1/4 hex.. it pulled out and felt like the end of an air hose.
>>
>>1008944
keked.. damn chinese changing everything.
I bet its worse than the handheld vaccume cleaners with only 5 minutes of battery life.
>>
File: 1444881065375.gif (719 KB, 293x182) Image search: [Google]
1444881065375.gif
719 KB, 293x182
>>1008945
Jesus christ...
Its a fucking quick disconnect. It clicks in, you pull the collar and it pops out. Its an impact driver, it has to be held in tightly.

This isnt some sort of new tool...
>>
>>1008948
Thanks for the answer, but go fuck yourself for being such an ass about it.
I asked an honest question.
>>
>>1008949
>I asked an honest question.

I was more taken back by your lack of critical thinking skills, and your penchant to lock yourself down and create some sort of controversy in your head.
I mean I guess its one thing to overreact in the store, but you literally looked it up and saw that both tools are still being made.

I sure hope you dont work in the trades, that one tract mind is gonna fuck some work up.
>>
>>1008952
I grew up without a father of any kind.
I googled "dewalt impact" to get the pictures because I had yet to hear of an impact wrench. I thought "impact" was short for impact driver.

I also have not seen a 1/4 quick disconnect, as stated a few minutes ago I was blacking out when I was looking at the stuff. At that time it appeared that there were just ball bearings inside of it and it looked like an airhose.
there were no bits there to see how it works, just a metal ring that lifted up.
>>
>>1008949
You asked it like an idiot because you judged the product as poor when you don't even know its basic function.

The quick-change collets are used because it is a good compromise between 'everyone can stick a bit in this because everyone has a billion 1/4" hex tools since the 80s' and normal chucks being useless under high impact.
>>
>>1008953
Maybe you should seek medical attention for blacking out in the middle of the day? Altered states of mind always indicate a serious medical condition.
>>
>>1008946
And actually...
>>
File: ryobi-cordless-paint-sprayer.jpg (33 KB, 480x533) Image search: [Google]
ryobi-cordless-paint-sprayer.jpg
33 KB, 480x533
>>1008966
I'm sorry, I'm not shilling. They both have horrible battery life and marginal usefulness.
>>
>>1008961
I never said the product was poor. The closest I said was that a smaller design might mean the shell is thinner making it more fragile.

>>1008964
I'm in the process of doing that. So far the "professional" medical opinion is "Im fine :)))))"
>>
>>1008970
> it looked fucking stupid.
>Still not explaining the fucking air hose socket on the end. Dick.
>Were you born with this knowledge already in your head? no? go fuck yourself.
Yes, we were because we were born with a pair of balls. I had to go back and look at the picture after I started reading the bottom of the thread because I couldn't possibly understand what you were talking about.
>>
>>1008943
The weird end on an impact "wrench" is for sockets. They carry loads more torque. They're a cordless version of an air impact wrench that you see mechanics using.

Think of it this way

Impact wrench use sockets for big ass nuts, lag bolts, rusted shit that won't just break loose.

Impact drivers are used for driving screws and smaller fasteners while being more compact and having more torque than a traditional screwgun.
>>
>>1008322
I bought into the tiny 18V line of Milkwaukee drills and impact drivers and I'll be god damned if they aren't as powerful if not more powerful than anything comparable in a corded form and ofc they just totally blow the older NiCd tools out of the water.
>>
>>1008213
>Buying anything but construction grade DW.
You fuckin up son, I'm basically a DeWalt shill and I wouldn't touch their consumer line, has more in common with B&D then it does with XRs.
>>1008260
While it was overkill, while it was overkill, you got some shit that will last you until you get tired of it.
I recently sold my old DW hammer drill from like 2005 for $100 and got that exact set. I was a little sad that nothing comes with hard cases anymore, but the driver is doing fine and this was my first impact driver.
>I did something similar, I went in to buy a 12V impact just for opening up units fast and a ridgid one was on sale. I picked it up and it felt pretty light, but then I picked up the DeWalt 18V and it was fucking lighter!
>>
>>1008953
Have you never noticed that all screw driving bits are 1/4" hex at one and and quick change 1/4" hex chucks have been around since like the 80s? Seriously did you just get out of prison or wake from a coma? are you illiterate?
>>
>>1009057
way to be a huge asshole. no one likes assholes mate. there are tons of people who never used an impact wrench/driver in their life. get off your high horse
>>
>>1009057
>implying Ive been around since the 80s
Faggot.
>>
>>1009057
also .. drill bits are not 1/4 hex, alteast most of them arnt.
>>
>>1009208
I said screw driving bits. Not drill bits.
>>
>>1009234
>paying 100 for a "screw driver" shaped like a drill that cant use drill bits
>>
File: 51Q+AliJRkL.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51Q+AliJRkL.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
>>1009356
You'll immediately forget your disdain for impact drivers as soon as you use one to drive a few fasteners. Also: drill bits with quick change shanks are readily available.

You can also just buy a chuck to fit on your quick-change driver.
>>
>>1009360
>Also: drill bits with quick change shanks are readily available.
Thats why I said most drill bits.

>You can also just buy a chuck to fit on your quick-change driver.
I saw this one coming a mile away.
>>
>>1009365
>saw it coming
But didn't come up with a retort.

You can make an impact driver work like a drill, but you can't do the opposite. Give up. They're good tools.
>>
>>1009473
>come up with a retort
Fine, before there was chuck to 1/4 quick disconnect adapters and now you have to get a 1/4 hex to chuck adapter.
fucking innovation at its finest.

I never said they were not good tools. I said the tiny version of their drills are ***possibly*** more likely to break if dropped than their bigger thicker versions.
Note: in the beginning I said the impact AND a drill.
Sure, 1/4 is a good idea for impact, not so much for a drill.
>>
>>1009356

1.) There are drill bits made for impact drivers.
2.) As far as driving screws go, there is no comparison between a drill and impact.
>>
>>1009356
>>1009365
>>1009477

Do you have any idea how much time impact drivers save based JUST on the fact that you have 2 tools and dont have to be switching out shit all the time?

Dosent matter if you want it to save time to make customers happy or if you want to save time on a remodel or building a deck.

And why would i want 2 drills when i can have a drill and an impact driver?

The impact driver is the shit when you are putting screws in and it can be used as a drill if needed.

The drill can drive screws in sure. but the impact is just so much better at it.
>>
>>1009669

Not only is it annoying to have to change out all the time. Playing hot potato with a drill bit after drilling into steel or greenheart doesn't add to the fun either

Depending on what I am doing I can have a drill with a concrete bit in it, a drill with a wood bit in it and then the impact driver to drive some concrete screws to fasten the lumber to the wall
>>
>>1009669

Though I will argue than a drill/driver can driver screws much better than an impact driver can drill.

And there are some circumstances that you'd prefer to driver screws with a drill because of the clutch setting limiting driving strength and no instance where you'd prefer to drill with an impact driver
>>
>>1008631
>thinking voltage matters

ryobi one
same batteries for every tool forever.

Power is measured in watts. Voltage is a gimmick to sell retards like you a new tool every year
>>
>>1009690
The point I was making is that in their higher voltage line, Dewalt has heavier duty tools. Even in the 20v line up, there are three different grades of tools. OP was being a faggot complaining about small tools so I told him he could get a bigger tool if he really cared.

>thinking ryobi is a premium brand
>>
>>1009684
That's why I almost always have three cordless tools on my bench at all times:

A 1/4" hex impact driver
A drill/driver with 1/2" capacity chuck
A 1/4" hex driver

Having dedicated tools saved a lot of time in a project.
>>
File: butthill.png (208 KB, 445x335) Image search: [Google]
butthill.png
208 KB, 445x335
>>1009690
>Voltage is a gimmick
>>
>>1008286
those new snap on jack stands sure look funny.
>>
File: DCB204_2.jpg (2 MB, 1936x1296) Image search: [Google]
DCB204_2.jpg
2 MB, 1936x1296
>>1009720
It is
"20v" dewalt batteries have the same amount of cells as any of the "18v" batteries

Pic related, dewalt "20v" is 5 cells in series, second stack added for capacity
>>
File: P103_right.jpg (430 KB, 1658x1640) Image search: [Google]
P103_right.jpg
430 KB, 1658x1640
>>1009726
ryobi "18v" battery
5 cells in series

Brace yourself the tool voltage wars are incoming.
>>
>>1009726
Voltage isn't a gimmick, it's very important to how powerful your motor is.
Fun fact, the max voltage for all those batteries is around 20 volts, dewalt and other brands advertise it that way so that people see a higher number, and won't confuse it with their 18v nicd lines, which have 15 cells.
>>
>>1009726
>>1009728

Just go corded. A lot more balls behind corded tools.
>>
>>1009690
...Lel. You know voltage and wattage are proportional right?
>>
>>1009720
>>1009757
power is measured in watts.
Period.
Learn basic electronics.
My "non high end ryobi" was $50 with 2 batteries. I bought 5 of them. Have 5 chargers. Never have to swap bits.
Its the watt hours of the battery that matters. Not the voltage.
A motor can be designed to run best on any voltage.
Have fun rebuying the new 24 volt drills in 3 yrs
>>
>>1009735
once again. Power is measured in watts. Not volts.
Its like asking how much water you have and you answer "100psi"
>>
>>1009757
amps and voltage are proportional to watts.
Learn ohms law
>>
>>1009744

Pretty much this

If you spend a couple of hours in one spot it will often be advantageous to run a drop cord to your location and run some corded tools.

Particularly if you are working with steel or hardwoods
>>
>>1009769
>>1009770
I know that it's measured in watts. Voltage is still important to the motor, it's called "electromotive force" for a reason.
Before you say it, I'm not a dewalt fanboy and I understand that 20v max translates to a nominal voltage of around 18 volts, I just take issue with people saying that voltage is a gimmick.
>>
>>1009773
This too, amp hours mean nothing without volts.
>>
>>1008158
Shouldn't have gone cheap and just gotten Dewalt
>>
The number of watt-hours is indeed the true measure of how much energy is actually stored in a battery pack.

However, it's not quite proper to say that voltage doesn't matter, since there are certain design considerations that make it easier to build a more powerful tool with a higher voltage (mostly due to current-switching limitations of electronic components).

That being said, it's definitely possible to build a low-voltage tool that can outperform a high-voltage tool, if the batteries are capable of discharging enough current. It would just be prohibitively expensive to do so.

Modern tools seem to get plenty of performance out of 18v. My impact driver pushes more torque through its little 1/4" chuck than I consider safe.
>>
>>1009914
They make impact rated driver bits if that is what concerns you.
>>
>>1009914
>My impact driver pushes more torque through its little 1/4" chuck than I consider safe.
That reminds me of something. I have a 1/2" cordless impact wrench that can put out around a thousand foot-pounds of torque. For lulz, I once attached a 3/8" adapter and a 1/4" socket, and tried it as a 1/4" bit driver. It drove screws straight through wood (sinking in the heads without noticeable resistance) so fast that they smoked when they came out the other side.
>>
>>1009832
watt hours.
Power is measured in watts
for the 5th and last time
>>
>>1010422
you seem confused
power consumption is measured in watts.

vacuum cleaners and power tools measure their effectiveness in amps.
I don't care how much power my 18 amp vacuum cleaner consumes, I want to know that it can do it's job.

A tools amp rating indicates the electrical current load a motor can carry for an indefinite period of time without degrading the insulation and other electrical compounds of the motor. In a UL tested tool, the motor is tested to verify that it can run or operate below a specific temperature while current or electricity is flowing through it. So in essence how much can the motor absorb and dissipate heat.
>>
File: 1410523331570.jpg (55 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
1410523331570.jpg
55 KB, 685x567
>>1009012
>I wouldn't touch their consumer line, has more in common with B&D then it does with XRs.
yea

=/ though i have a 10 year old corded dewalt drill that's still running fine, but i don't use it a ton past drilling a few holes in soft stuff so it'll probably last forever with my usage

if i were to start doing more DIY stuff needing a drill i'd probably get something like a construction makita or dewalt, and maybe an impact driver, using a socket wrench and a 1/4" socket with a screwdriver bit gets old fast

but driving 4 inch screws with a 3 foot breaker bar gets the weirdest looks from people, like "fuck, why didn't i think of that?"
>>
>>1010469
The advertising on the box is all going to say the peak instantaneous amps though. They don't actually say what the load of the motor is. I've got 18 and 20 and 30 amp shop vacs and shit that all should clearly not work at all on a normal house hold circuit because that would be retarded, but it's just advertising hokum and it's really just 5a or whatever.
>>
>>1008265
>black and Decker did.
what's everyone's opinion on B&D?
To me it seems like a beginner's or casual user's brand.
>>
>>1010584
Congratulations
>>
>>1010584
Black and Decker normally makes tools for a casual user. They just need to put the tools on the shelf and the tools themselves only need to run a few times at the price point. But for what it's worth, some of these tools do just as good of a job at a steal. My B&D bandsaw is a joke but the toaster oven and corded drill are winners.

At a more mid price point you've got tools that a contractor would use all day on a job site. These need to last long enough that he'll go buy another when it bites the dust.

High end tools can afford to be made with quality materials throughout. I guess the only issue is these still aren't coworker proof.

>>1009728
What's the normal failure mode of these? The cells themselves? I notice a lot of corrosion on the contacts of old batteries that I have to scrape off between use. There's one battery I'd attempt a repair on if it seems reasonable.
>>
>>1010626
In every case I've seen between laptops, radios, and cordless tools, it's been the cells. They can only be recharged a finite amount of times before dying. That's what's nice about nicads, they can be shocked back to life in some cases.
>>
>>1008176
The dewalt has better materials inside, also the dewalt 18v has 350 fastening torque and 500 and some change loosening torque.
>>
>>1010800
That's for the impact wrench not the driver btw.
>>
>>1010800
The Porter cable has a steel body chuck. The Dewalt is plastic.
>>
>>1008158
BUY A FUCKING MAKITA YOU CRAP BUYING CONSUMER WHORE.
>>
Jesus Christ this thread is fucking infested with dewalt shills. I never really thought it was a thing on /diy/ until now.

It's not even like it's a bunch of tradesman since if you go to a site all you see is Milwaukee and a handful of Makita.
>>
>>1008192
Wtf...why are they bringing it to you? Don't you get your groceries by walking around and putting them in your cart?
>>
>>1008260
You made the correct decision--those drills will outlive you.

The problem is, will you able to keep them from getting stolen?
>>
File: a real drill.jpg (55 KB, 550x623) Image search: [Google]
a real drill.jpg
55 KB, 550x623
>Dewalt
>Porter Cable
>Makita
>Milwaukee
>Black and Decker
>Ryobi

Different colored versions of the same POS China-made drill.

If you want a real drill, try Metabo, Hilti, or Fein.
>>
>>1010836
>if you go to a site all you see is Milwaukee
A FUCKING FLY ELECTRONIC WASTE DUMPING SITE IN SHENZEN; MAYBE? - LOL. FUCK OFF ALREADY WITH YOUR CONSTANT 'CONTRACTORS USE MILWAUKEE::' CRAP - THEY DONT, iTS CHEAP CHINESE SHIT THAT BREAKS WHEN YOU LOOK AT IT SIDEWAYS. BUY ONLY FESTOOL, ITS GREAT.
>>
>>1010836
Every contractor here is 100% dewalt.
>>
>>1010836
>if you go to a site all you see is Milwaukee and a handful of Makita

lol, maybe if you work on spec homes. Most Big Boy Contractors go with Hilti, Festool and Fein.
>>
For the money you can't beat Bosch.
>>
>>1010836
>Go to construction site
>See milwaukee, dewalt, hilti, makita and bosch
'no'
>>
>>1010958
>all things made and assembled in china are low quality
>all things assembled in different countries with chinese parts inside are vastly better
>>
>>1008210
Can confirm.i have an amstar drill set that is identical to milwaukee except for the casing being a cheaper plastic.performs as well as its 200 dollar cousin.
>>
File: main.jpg (35 KB, 450x319) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
35 KB, 450x319
>>1010836

>every contractor is Milwaukee or Makita

>>1011031

>every contractor is dewalt

>>1011033

>every contractor is Hilti, Festool and Fein.

>>1011081

>no contractors use milwaukee, dewalt, hilti, makita and bosch.

My brain is full of fuck.
>>
>>1011321
I meant that he was wrong for saying that only milwaukee and makita gets used by contractors, not that they don't use those brands.
>>
File: makita.jpg (145 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
makita.jpg
145 KB, 1200x1200
While we are on the topic of this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ALZP2QA/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Bought it rather cheap for ~150$, but now some are saying that the white makitas are crap. I am not a professional contractor just the occasional diy guy. Should i be fine or should i cancel the order?
>>
>>1011696

You'll be fine.
>>
>>1011321
Be like me a general builder tools from all kinds of makes. tool shills are fucking retarded if it works it works.
>>
>>1011696
If you're DIYing you don't even need to spend that much mate don't let the shills trick you..
>>
>>1009728
I just picked up a ryobi 18v hammerdrill and impact for work. They don't have the same torque that that (currently) $300 dw set has. But it was about 50 bucks cheaper And got 2 extra batteries. It does exactly what I need it to do though, just not really more than that.
>>
Just wondering.

Are brushless drills EVER worth the premium for the DIYer/homeowner/non professional/wannabe etc?

There's only been one instance where my drill ran out of battery power for a job I was doing in a single day, and it never happened once for the impact driver.

I mean shit, you have got to be a serious heavy user of a drill to drain a modern 18V Li-ion pack and have to charge it back up in the middle of a job (assuming you start the day with a fresh pack)
>>
>>1011712

As someone who does hotel maintenance and mobility is a big help I have a ryobi puke green kit but I also have 4 4amp batteries and 3 1.5amp batteries.

I run out occasionally. Primarily with the grinder, saw and the hammer drill.

The hammer drill I tend to drill holes in concrete and use the small battery so you can understand that. The grinder drinks battery like a thirsty Irish man so that is the only time I feel like brushless would help.

We work these things hard and to be honest I am pleasantly surprised they keep going strong. I was teetering on the edge of buying a makita kit for nearly double the price but I said let me save some shekels and I am glad I did.
>>
>>1011712
For the pro yes they are worth it because you use it every day also you won't ever need to change the brushes plus all the other stuff that better about brushless. For a DIYer i think the extra cost isn't worth it.
>>
>>1011717

Changing brushes is really no big deal.

The main advantage aside from the lack of brushes is the fact that since they have a digital controller it is easier to implement features like soft start and blue tooth and so on with out much additional cost compared to having to have a series of analog components for every feature as they can run programs
>>
>>1011696
Unless you plan to diy some particularly demanding things, it should be fine. For comparison, I do a lot of home projects with stainless steel I get from work. A 600RPM drill is not suitable for that, so I got a higher-end drill with a lower gearing and higher torque because that's what stainless needs.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.