[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newfag to /diy/, what is pic related made of and how do I create
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: zap-plane.jpg (325 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
zap-plane.jpg
325 KB, 960x720
Newfag to /diy/, what is pic related made of and how do I create the mesh? Should I use foam or use wood and go to home depot?
How do I cut the tubular shape out of planks for a fuselage?
>>
shameless self bump, i really want to get into RC
>>
>>1007679

The frame will be wood, light weight like Balsa, but probably cedar for strength...

The skin is likely some kind of canvas fabric, again for it's light weight...

You will be cutting arcs for the frame, similar to boat/canoe building...

Google rc building ya lazy fucker...
>>
>>1007679

Many large scale RC planes of that size are nonstructural vacuform components over a balsa core structure, or foam with a heat-shrink covering.

Long ago, they were a built up balsa structure covered in tissue paper treated with nitrocellulose or butyrate doped finishes.

Some still are, but most use more modern materials.
>>
>>1007700
you don't buy one of those gas powered massive fuckers if you're just getting into RC. Go to the local hobbyshop and buy a cheapo you can crash the fuck out of or take apart for research.
>>
>>1007885
Speaking of cheapo starters, do you know any good ones? I keep looking at ~$20-40 ones for practice, but they're all complete shit. Seems that the only good starter planes start at $150
>>
>>1007885
This guy speaks the truth, never start with a huge gasser like that, you'll just crash it right away and then waste a lot of money and probably get turned off from the hobby, look into starting with a 'trainer' something that you can crash and that is either easy to repair or crashes soft enough to not need to many repairs.

>>1007908
Something that I would recommend is building your own foam board planes, there are plenty of free plans online for different types, and then you just need to pick up some electric motors, some servos, batteries, ESC's, a transmitter and receiver and you're good to go, doing it this way will also get you into the habit of build and repair, because you constructed the plane yourself you then should know how to repair it easier and because you're building only $10 foam board planes instead of $1000 gassers you won't kill yourself every time you crash and you'll pick up aspects of plane design and construction and techniques along the way (something you wouldn't necessarily pick up if you just buy 'ready to fly' planes) If you want to watch some videos on how to build these foam board planes and a place to find the planes, check out Flight Test on youtube, they have a website with all that kind of stuff on there too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9zTuyWffK9ckEz1216noAw
>>
>>1007908
Your beginner transmitter will probably cost $100, and that will be good for all the numerous planes you can get. The foam planes themselves will be cheap, like $20-50. You want cheap because you will absolutely crash your planes over and over and over again. Learning how to rebuild your trashed planes back into flyable condition is part of the hobby.

Something like OP is what you fly when you can practically guarantee you won't crash, because rebuilding something like that won't be as easy as hotgluing the wing back onto the body at the break.
>>
File: spa3dtwelcome.jpg (17 KB, 350x249) Image search: [Google]
spa3dtwelcome.jpg
17 KB, 350x249
The first flying model you make should look like pic related or like one of those foam planes mentioned above. Because you will crash it, and it will make you sad. Also, by asking here, I doubt you have the knowledge yet to get the CoG right or make a square build.

If you want to make a large scale static plane then at that size I'd go for a plywood frame with plastic/aluminium covering and scale components for what you wouldn't scratch build.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.