[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY gyrocopter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: howiwillkillmyself.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
howiwillkillmyself.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
I was thinking of making a full size gyrocopter from scratch this summer.
Anyone got DIY plans laying around?
>>
>>1007626

Good luck on this one anon.

I am trying to build a full-size sandbuggy from scratch, got stopped really soon. Now reading a freshly ordered bookwith 700 pages about auto/car technics.
>>
>>1007634
Good luck to you too anon.
Making vehicles is a full time study alone, but the "makingstuffworkbyfailing"-part is my favourite.
>>
>>1007640

Indeed. But i think aircraft is even harder than 4 wheels and an engine.

I guess i will take parts from an old volkswagen golf but like i said at first i need to understand how an automobile works and which part works with what and so on.

Keep us updated with you project! I am definitly interested!
>>
Plenty of plans on thepiratebay, but the best ones will need finds to license. Never underestimate the strength of a support line when you run into trouble.

Polite sage because if you were serious you'd have brought even something to the table
>>
>>1007626
If you were serious you wouldn't even think of asking on 4chan and would have found the MANY experimental aircraft and gyrocopter resources on the internet.

Gyrocopters have been around many decades.

This tells us you want spoonfeeding. Not having a clue is fine. Clues can be gotten through research.

Now get the fuck out, either to do proper research or an hero.
>>
>>1008721
>I was thinking

That is the first clue.
>>
not OP, how much would it cost to diy? The cheapest I found was 50 000 EUR.
>>
>>1007626
There are far simpler ways to kill ones self.

But seriously why not buy one used or get a kit.
>>
>>1008982
>/diy/
>buy one used
disgusting buyfags get off my board reeee etc
>>
>>1008984
it's an aircraft, dude. flying has a very low tolerance for fuck-ups. learning by failing only gets you the that one failure that happens while you;re flying - then you're pretty much done learning forever.
>>
OP fuck the naysayers. Give it a shot.
But you're obviously going to need some better info than will be available on this board.
Update w/ pictures as you progress.
>>
Do you have $15,000?

That is the minimum needed to go from nothing to flying by yourself.

Trust me.

t. Gyrocopter enthusiast
>>
>>1008753
Neger are u retarded ? You can get one for less than 5k €
>>
>>1007626

An airplane is much more complicated than anything you can imagine.

Plus, you need to get it approved for safe flight by your federal government, get a pilot's license, plenty of paper work, &c. &c. &c. You don't want to yolo into this.
>>
>>1009144
>Plus, you need to get it approved for safe flight by your federal government, get a pilot's license, plenty of paper work, &c. &c. &c. You don't want to yolo into this.

Not true. There are different classifications of flying devices in most countries.
>>
>I was thinking of plummeting to my death from several hundred feet up this summer

For real though, your first step should be research. Lots and lots of research. You need to know exactly how to correct and steer such a contraption long, long before you ever build it. Knowing how it handles and why will be invaluable in learning why it's designed the way it is.
>>
>>1009144
>An airplane is much more complicated than anything you can imagine.

A passenger jet or some such, maybe. But a skeleton gyrocopter is a very straightforward concept. They've been made from literal scrap with a lawnmower engine bolted on, by people who were cruising at an altitude that's higher than their IQ.

Nevertheless, OP probably just woke up one morning and wanted to fly.
>>
>>1009144
Most countries have an ultralight class where no license or anything is required. The USA has one of the most gimped ultralight rules with shit like no more air speed than 55 knots and a gas tank the size of a thimble but still if you follow those retarded ass rules there is no inspection or any over site required or license to obtain. You do have to make your ultralight available for inspection if requested but you don't even have to tell them you got one in the first place. Also you don't need any numbering or anything on it.
>>
>>1009414
Stop scaring him away. FAR 103 is the governing document for ultralights. It can and has been done by more than a few. You must have a fat ass hand if you consider 5 gallons to be a thimble.
>>
>>1009144
in the US you don't need a pilot's license if you fly a craft designated as an Ultralight. I doubt a gyro would be ultralight however
>>
I never come to this board, but I'm an aircraft autist
How does the thing in the OP counter the torque?
Shouldn't it start spinning around its axis
>>
>>1007626
there is a kit you could buy that used a kombi engine in the 80's. they used one in mad max 2. Bruce spence flew it. there was one for sale a couple years back for $3000. the'yre cool.
>>
>>1010914
No, it shouldn't. There is no torque to counter. Well, not in that axis.
If you don't know gyrocopters you are no "aircraft autist". The engine does not make the rotor turn as in helicopters. The engine pulls or pushes the aircraft and the motion through the air makes the rotor turn, which in turn lifts the aircraft.
>>
>>1010872
>I doubt a gyro would be ultralight however
Why not?
>>
>>1007626
Are you going to learn to fly one first? I love those people who buy motorcycles and then try to learn to ride by trial and error.
>>
>>1010838
I'm just pissed that other countries don't limit the gas tank size or speed but ours do. If I want to kill myself I deserve the right to be able to do it going fast and flying far far away.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 600x216) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 600x216
That frame is made from a harbor freight trailer btw, very inexpensive to make what you posted OP. The whole thing can be had for less than $1,500. (That tail is thin plywood btw)
>>
>>1007626
Why a gyrocopter? Have you though about a powered paraglider or powered parachute? Should be cheaper and safer.
>>
Britbong here.
This is some serious Scrapheap Challenge shit you have going on here. Best of luck and I suggest having someone with aeronautical knowledge on standby so you don't fuck it up. I recommend the ultralight before going for a gyro. At least you can glide if something fucks up
>>
>>1011331
As opposed to showing up to the mandatory classes with no idea what the hell is going on?
>>
first time i really read about these gyrocopters. How is it about the legality (specialy in europé)? Do i need like a driving licence?
>>
>>1012521
its me again, much happend here, Anyhow i will ask here Before i make a new thread. Does anyone have plans for a Martin Hollman HA-2M? i dont really wanna Shell out the 500 dollar they are asking if im not even sure if i could afford materials. Anyone have experience/knowledge about the law in europé?
>>
>>1013738

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Europe+ultralight+

Fucking plebs

if its under 560 kg in europe there is no license needed
>>
>>1007626
Hope you don't plan on an open casket funeral.
>>
>>1014846
For fucks sake, it's a gyrocopter.

They're not that hard to make and they're fairly safe provided you bothered to learn how to fly it.
>>
>>1008984
maybe buy an old one and fix it up
i think for an aircraft this is diy enought
>>
>>1014962
Honestly, for an old aircraft that needs a fixing up, that may include completely rebuilding the airframe.
>>
>>1015043
but you have something to start
>>
>>1015300
New anon here.
As someone who is an ultralight pilot, who has built my own aircraft, I can say with certainty that fixing up an old one is more dangerous than building one from scratch.

Almost all ultralight aircraft (including most autogyros) are /diy/ jobs, and you don't know if the last fucker knew what he was doing, or even got to fly it.

Either get with your local EAA (or equivalent) club and build your own, or buy one.
First make sure you get training from someone in an EAA club. These people have been doing it for years and know what they're talking about.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.