[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My dad has about half a gallon of muriatic acid that my idiot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: Muriatic acid.jpg (12 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Muriatic acid.jpg
12 KB, 400x400
My dad has about half a gallon of muriatic acid that my idiot brother bought because he needed some hardware to weld on but was too lazy to find non-plated.

I have been tasked to find out how to store it indefinitely.

It's currently in a glass jar but it's pretty obviously leaking, I assume from the vapor eating the gasket on the lid. What material and shape of container would be able to store this shit without it seeping out and eating everything in the garage?
>>
Bump?
>>
Put it back in its original bottle. Keep the bottle in a well-ventilated place, away from anything which can rust or corrode.
>>
>>1007604

Fuck. Don't have the bottle. Polypropylene you think?
>>
>>1007593
Milk jug.
>>
>>1007608
>Don't have the bottle
that is at least kind of retarded as anyone could know that a bought package will always be able to support its contents. Luckily for you >>1007611
has a nice solution, and please remember (or remind you retarded father and brother) that changing the package of bought contents is stupid as hell.
>>
>>1007616

Well like I said my brother is retarded

But also he bought it as a powder, and I wasn't sure that the solution could be stored the same as the powder
>>
>>1007611

Bitchin, thanks
>>
we use that to unclog the toilet, maybe you can use it in that way, so you don't have to store it for a long time.
>>
Hdpe or glass with non metal cap.
Milk jug would be ok, but check if its not PET by chance.
Tip for future : type (substance) compability chart in google.
>>
>>1007593
pour it down the drain when no one's looking :-)
>>
>>1007637
acid is a natural chemical, you can just dump it out back in plain sight and theres nothing anyone can do about it.
>>
>>1007593
Just pour it out on your driveway.

It'll fizz up and remove any and all dirt there.
>>
>>1007907
I like to neutralize it by throwing in rock from my driveway (limestone), or just baking soda.

But yeah...

Milk Jug.
>>
>>1007593
Dump it in some river or on some guys car you don't like.
>>
>>1007622
>But also he bought it as a powder
then it's unlikely to be muriatic acid
>>
>>1007623
Don't forget to label it.
>>
>>1007593
Makes a great bomb when poured into an airtight container with aluminum foil.
>>
>>1010256
>bomb
You mean, hydrogen generator that might be able to blast it's contents out of it's container. But with that definition a fucking balloon is also a potential bomb.
I believe people are getting more stupid by the day.
>>
>>1008096
>Hydrochloric acid powder
Top fucking kek.

Pure HCl is a highly toxic gas, not a solid.
>>
>>1011569
This, hydrogen chloride is not a solid, you sure you didn't get sodium hydroxide OP?
>>
>>1007593
It was supposed to be caustic soda
>>
>>1007907
I'd you're going to do this, dilute it first. It's gonna eat into your concrete a little regardless, but this minimizes it to mostly just cleaning.

And remember to pour acid into water and not vice-versa unless you want to look like a Saudi woman who didn't return her suitor's feelings.
>>
>>1011834
Never had anything bad happen to anyone I know or myself from doing water ---> acid
>>
>>1011908
That advice is mainly meant for (concentrated) sulfuric acid, but it's good practice with other acids as well.
>>
You won't be able to preserve it indefinitely, despite claims otherwise. Typical laboratory solutions are kept in glass (as you've done already) sealed tightly with a paraffin wax seal. You can buy rolls of paraffin wax online and cut some to size, but nothing will be perfect.
>>
>>1011633
OP says it has a vapor, so not likely that either.
>>
>>1011908
If you pour water into a concentrated or strong acid, then the water will flash boil and spray acid everywhere.
>>
>>1011662
Fuck you bane, how many times have we done this already
>>
File: _is_this_bait.jpg (397 KB, 827x1223) Image search: [Google]
_is_this_bait.jpg
397 KB, 827x1223
>>1007892
>there is only one type of acid
>>
>>1012129
Only one type that matters, and it gets you fucked up
>>
>>1011908
Yeah and I've never killed anyone while drunk driving but I should still probably stop
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.