[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /diy/ers, shop full of tools, budget of $0. How can i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 20160611_153159_HDR-1.jpg (675 KB, 1836x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160611_153159_HDR-1.jpg
675 KB, 1836x2448
Alright /diy/ers, shop full of tools, budget of $0. How can i fill this oxygen tank? 46cf
>>
With oxigen?
>>
>>1007333
Yes.
>>
>>1007334
Are you aware that specialized chemical plants are built to the purpose, right?
They mainly use air liquifiying to achieve it. You know how hard and expensive is that process?
My best bet is to run some electrolysis reaction that releases O2 (since the rest ofthe reactions i know consume it) and then compress it. But with out any calc, i can guess that you'll need like 10 to 100 times the volumen of the tank in pure O2 to proceed to compressing, wich i'm not entirely sure that can be done with home equipment compressor.
Pls, give more info relating times, equipment, pressure and volume of tank.
It can be fun to see you blow in the airs
>>
Trade on craigslist man, work the barter
>>
You don't try to fill a tank unless you're fucking retarded and want to die.
>>
>>1007328
It's like $12 to get one filled
>>
>>1007328
get a few oxygen concentrators and a oilless compressor
>>
Ask your mom to blow into it real good
>>
>>1007328
>Alright /diy/ers, shop full of tools, budget of $0. How can i fill this oxygen tank? 46cf
I'm not an expert, but I've never seen any small high-pressure pump that was rated for oxygen.

Normally (in the USA) with welding tanks, you exchange the empty tanks for full ones. They don't refill the tanks you have. And you need a tank lease with the shop to even exchange tanks, unless you get the little 10-cu-foot tanks.

If you got another tank of oxygen, you could hook your empty tank to the other tank, open them both and let them equalize. So then, instead of ~3000 PSI in one tank, you'd have ~1500 PSI in both. You could keep doing that over again as your own tank ran low. ....But for all that trouble, you could just use the shop tank as it is, and exchange it when empty like normal.
>>
make sure the keep the thread well greased because often the places where you can fill it tend to ruin the thread
>>
>>1007328
Do you have social skills? Are you willing to pay a little bit more, possibly? Do you grow any vegetables or fruits, or raise your own cattle for slaughter, or go hunting or fishing?

This can be hard, but you can find someone that will fill it. You need to talk to people, in person, at local welding supply shops that fill their own tanks. If you do any of the things I asked about above, somehow work it into the conversation. I went with my neighbor who has an old as fuck oxy acetylene rig, he got his tanks filled for 4 deer steaks and 2 joints. I helped my dude redo his counter and built him a desk, I still pay, 50% what he'd charge someone else, but I get my bottles refilled.
>>
>>1007530
do not grease oxygen tanks. ever. also go pay for a refill/exchange.
>>
>>1007467
Heh
>>
>>1007544
this is a very good point.
this is way more of a DIY people skills
this is where doing it your self isnt exactly an option unless you have assloads of money

find a farmer with an oilless compressor like dude said. i used to have a friend who lived on a chicken farm and would fill up my high pressure air tanks all the time, they had one of those fancy compressors

either work on your social engineering or look in the street for enough change to get it filled or steal
>>
>>1007328
sell a tool from collection that don't use buy some compressed air.
>>
>>1007328
get a job
>>
>>1007544
+1 for bartering
government can't take 10% of a deer carcass
>>
Weldor and welding equipment repair guy here.

Compressed oxygen is not to be idly fucked with because if it hits grease, oil, or even fine bits of things which don't normally burn the results can be unpleasant. Read about welding gas safety procedures. This thread is not a substitute.

Small cylinders are exchanged for full ones at local welding suppliers. See welding forums for info such as weldingweb.

You can learn proper regulator and torch settings etc easily. Take care and if your regulator leaks, they can be rebuilt if brand name. Don't rebuild an oxygen regulator yourself unless you can clean to "oxygen safe" standards.

You cannot produce and compress high pressure oxygen at home by DIY methods. Ignore anyone who says you can.

You CAN use an oxygen concentrator to feed a small torch for fine oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane work. There is no need for the oxygen cylinder in that scenario.

THE ASSHOLE WHO SAID GREASE THE THREAD IS TRYING TO KILL YOU. Do not fucking lube oxygen connections, do not anti-seize them, do not use hardware store Teflon tape on them, and ALWAYS fucking look up the right (it's simple) way to handle industrial gases.

Now go visit real welding forums. /diy/ is only a place to warn Anons to seek real resources. There are real welders here but there are the usual morons too.

weldingweb, the Hobart forums, and the Miller forums and website will serve you well. I have many cylinders in many sizes (mech life is great with industrial gases) gotten off Craigslist and auctions then exchanged at my LWS.
>>
>>1007328
You don't fill them yourself. Not without many thousands of dollars of equipment.

You take the tank to a welding supply shop and they swap it (and about $20) for a full one. This assumes the tank hasn't expired and there is no ownership issues with it.
>>
File: 1453489738516.png (45 KB, 602x500) Image search: [Google]
1453489738516.png
45 KB, 602x500
>>1007328
collect up all your lantern batterys, extract all the manganese dioxide from the cells(the bulk of the battery), now raid your mothers drug cabinet. get as much hydrogen peroxide as you can. get your air compressor out and remove the compressor outlet from the tank and add a fitting directly to it, also add a fitting to the inlet since we're going to draw a vacuum too.

now, you'll need a container capable of high temps and a cover(NOT plastic), with a way of capturing the gases produced.

add all the MnO2 too the container, now running the compressor, draw a small vacuum in the oxygen bottle so its ready to receive a charge. now attach the compressor inlet to the container with the outlet into the oxygen bottle, add the peroxide in batches. the manganese dioxide acts as a catalyst with the peroxide producing hydrogen and oxygen but mainly just oxygen. eventually you'll either run out of materials or end up with a full bottle of oxygen.
>>
>>1008608
oh i forgot to mention, you'll almost certainly die from burns or shrapnel attempting this. also you'll want to add a condenser between the container and the compressor, since there is some hydrogen it'll bond with the oxygen immediately creating water vapor, a long pipe will allow it to collect and return to the container, the compressor itself will further dry the gases.
>>
>>1008470
>government can't take 10% of a deer carcass
No, but they can tax you for income of it's value.
Trust me, it's heading that way.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.