[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tool Wall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: semi related.jpg (462 KB, 1280x956) Image search: [Google]
semi related.jpg
462 KB, 1280x956
Making a 208cm (82inch) wide 108cm high (43inch) wooden tool wall with some offcolour random planks I have laying around. An extra bit will go in the corner. Will paint it red/white/blue (Dutchfag), illuminate it from above and use nails/hooks/magnets etc. to keep the tools in place. Heavy tools go on the bottom.

Any /diy/-tier tips that can make it that little bit better than my uncreative mind could on its own? Google has retarded suggestions like just sticking the tools in foam.
>>
You can outline tool positions in chalk, looks nice and you won't mix them up, not that that matters
>>
>>1007104
sticking tools in foam isn't retarded, it is called shadow boxing. It is how you know where tools go and what is missing at a glance. It is meant for cabinets though. On a wall you outline the tool and fill in the outline
>>
>>1007104
Grandpa style nice
>>
>>1007698
Foam can retain moisture and produce rust, even in a cabinet so unless you have a temperature controlled shop or garage yes foam and covered foam is stupid. Except if your a Dutchfag
>>
Project creep is setting in. Adding two shelves for spray cans and other liquids, a shallow detachable long shelf at the bottom for small parts while tinkering, series of LED lights, drawers underneath.

Damnit Bob I promised to keep it simple
>>
Unfortunately your best bet is pinterest. There is a retarded amount of ideas on there. Just take over your wife's account like I did. Or you can have your shiet scattered around whatever you are working on at the moment.
>>
File: disgusting2.jpg (15 KB, 299x200) Image search: [Google]
disgusting2.jpg
15 KB, 299x200
Crap. Just noticed one of the planks is laminated chipboard. Not going to bother painting that, so guess it will end up looking shit. Oh well, at least it will be more practical than digging for tools in a box like a rabid dog with bleeding paws.
>>
>>1007104
unless you prefer your tools to be wall art, that much wall space could be used for an amazing amount of shelf space
>>
File: wrenchdoge.jpg (339 KB, 1280x956) Image search: [Google]
wrenchdoge.jpg
339 KB, 1280x956
>>1008037
Underneath the tool wall will be a workbench so I need some clear air above it. The rest of the garage is pretty much shelftastic. Tools don't get used every day (just maintaining house/car/motorcycle and a couple bicycles) but its still a bitch to work with toolboxes.

Just wish I could throw out some bicycles to make room for a motorcycle.

Not my doge btw.
>>
>>1007257
>You can outline tool positions

Friend of mine had outline decals for all his tools. He said that when you have teenagers at home, this is handy. Because you can see how many tools you used to have.
>>
>>1008104
Yeah I'm not tempted to do that. Would need to apply some sort of chalk friendly layer on the wood first, and even then it will be a bitch to change or wll wipe fof too easy.
>>
File: Snapchat-4710069940281573832.jpg (232 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4710069940281573832.jpg
232 KB, 1080x1776
>>1008047
I'd do this if my dog was big enough and actually had an attention span
>>
File: jdi2.gif (1 MB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
jdi2.gif
1 MB, 500x255
>>1008293
>>
Pic related works very well. You don't need excess holes so I suggest using a large piece of cardboard box or whatever is handy to test your desired pattern on the floor, then copy it on your wall.

It's very efficient. My motorcycle mentorbro has had that setup for forty years. Still has nearly all the same tools since I met him long ago, and that shop repaired many a baiku.

Don't overthink it. You will quickly get used to what goes where.

When I ran military toolrooms we took pics of our toolbox drawers and added those to the inventory sheets. If you have many tools that can help.

Ensure your paint is gloss so greasy fingerprints don't stick.

You can be done in a weekend and you'll be glad you did it.
>>
>>1008532
You forgot the pic bro. I planned on setting it up on the floor first to plan things, so the cardboard tip is excellent! Thank you.
>>
>>1008047

Who's a good dogie?!?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.