[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/. I have a bit of a pickle. I have this seven port USB
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: _RIP7194.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2560) Image search: [Google]
_RIP7194.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2560
Hi /diy/. I have a bit of a pickle.

I have this seven port USB hub, four ports USB3, three ports USB2.
One day the USB2 ports stopped working, USB3 ports still work fine, I noticed maybe a day later that the USB2 end of the hub was very warm. I opened it up and giving it a bit of power found that the source of the heat is the USB2 controller chip (U4).
I have tried to find a short to ground to no avail, USB7 looks a bit dodgy but not enough that it would make the controller chip overheat.

Even then, if I find the fault somewhere else what is the likelihood that the controller chip will still work after the temperatures it reached?
Should I just cut my losses and rip the chip from the board and have three ports that can only provide power?
>>
>>1006894

sounds like your chip failed, and there's no reasonable prospect of spontaneous revival unless you can get Jesus to lay his hand on it.

death: it's part of life for both man and silicone.
>>
>>1006907
Well, my soldering iron arrives tomorrow. I guess I will rip and tear it off the board.
>>
you're gonna fuck it up with the soldering iron. even experienced people have trouble with SMT components. fortunately, it's very easy to just cut the pins one by one: press down with an x-acto knife. you can leave the discarded pins behind, or scrape them away getly using the iron.
>>
>>1006934
Does it really matter? The USB2 end is separated from the USB3 end, all I have to do is wick most of the solder off the pins, pop the chip off and wick the pads.
>>
>>1006934
Fuck you're stupid. I solder for work and do shit like this all the time. Throw some flux down and hit it with two soldering irons and you'll be fine.
>>
File: how not to solder2.png (337 KB, 584x388) Image search: [Google]
how not to solder2.png
337 KB, 584x388
>>1006941

fuck you're smart. because you have the right tools and experience, it automatically implies that some noob without either of those things will be successful at a delicate job the first time out.
>>
>>1006959

it's a little finicky but if you play around with it a little you can get it to work with a single soldering iron and some small tweezers.

It's a good experience to have, so he isn't intimidated by SMDs so much anymore.
>>
>>1006907

Silicon. Silicone is the squishy stuff.
>>
>>1006959
It's a fucking USB hub, if he fucks it up then so what? It's a good opportunity to learn/practice.
>>
>>1006934
Don't do anything because you may fuckup. God I hate people like you. What the fuck does it matter if he rapes his chip. Hell even if he rips pads off the board its better for him to learn on cheap shit like this.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.