[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to install a security system. I have 4 cameras to work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: a frame.jpg (75 KB, 551x554) Image search: [Google]
a frame.jpg
75 KB, 551x554
I need to install a security system. I have 4 cameras to work with.

I have an A frame house but there is an overhand of about 2 foot on all the edges of the roof.

What would be the best location to place the cameras for the most coverage?
>>
File: cameras.png (13 KB, 1008x630) Image search: [Google]
cameras.png
13 KB, 1008x630
>>1006832
Without showing us a top-down plan of the plot and assuming you need to have all four walls equally protected, this is the best coverage you can get while still having the cameras installed on the building itself. You'd have better coverage by installing the cameras to objects outside the building itself, though.
>>
File: overview.jpg (48 KB, 831x640) Image search: [Google]
overview.jpg
48 KB, 831x640
would it make sense to have two cameras up high on the front and back ?

I figure general view of the area, then one focused on front door then other side facing street
>>
File: overview.jpg (140 KB, 1906x640) Image search: [Google]
overview.jpg
140 KB, 1906x640
I guess like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BO2KQTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are what I have
>>
>>1006845
i like the coverage, unfortunately I think if they are pointing directly into neighbors house they will get butthurt.

They are already giving me the silent treatment because I had a survey and made them move their fence before I built mine.
>>
>>1006859
>They are already giving me the silent treatment because I had a survey and made them move their fence before I built mine.
Ignore them, or just tilt the cameras down enough that they don't look too far into the neighbors place.
>>
Are you concerned about your contents or vandalism? If you are worried about thieves, an alarm is a way better option but for vandals and general nig nog behaviour get some cameras and find out who did it.
>>
File: hause.jpg (116 KB, 671x528) Image search: [Google]
hause.jpg
116 KB, 671x528
Probably mount directly to side of house? The angle of the roof is kind of weird. Actually took some photos.

I have insurance. It is mostly liability, like if someone walks over and says they fell or some shit. To watch the cars. Its a really good area, but Methheads are a reality
>>
>>1006923

Not trying to be funny or crude, but that doesn't look like a place waiting to be robbed of all its untold booty.

Yes, mount directly to the side of the home. You will need to run two sets of wires per camera, power and video.

You can add power within distance of each camera via adding a J-BOX or going into one already close.

Or, you can wire to a common power source while running long runs of wire.

Just be mindful of in-climate weather. You want to mount under an over hang to keep sun glare off the lens, and to keep snow/rain for falling directly on the lens covering it.

Areas to focus.

Front door - 34% of burglars break in here

First-floor window - 23% of burglars break in here

Back door - 22% of burglars break in here

One last thing. Although these cameras are NV capable, coupling them with some really cheap motion activate lights usually provide enough light at night to get good detail. Especially if you are watching if alerted.

And at times those lights scare some people.
I prefer PoE IP cameras, because every signal is carried over one line.
>>
>>1006929

Unfortunately the angle kind of makes it hard to hang them with straight view

I know haha, the house looks very blegh and the actual crime rate here is so low you have to go back a few months to find anything in the area.

I am mostly paranoid. I've had real wars between neighbors going on before and just had webcams stuck in the windows.

I have wired in two motion lights already, the side (main) door, and the front slider door, though that is enclosed by a deck also.

I have insurance and everything, just paranoid.> :3
>>
File: MAXIMUM.jpg (57 KB, 827x724) Image search: [Google]
MAXIMUM.jpg
57 KB, 827x724
>>
>>1006987
Honestly, previous feuds with neighbors and making your new neighbor move his fence makes it seem like you have good reason to want those cameras, you sound like an antagonistic asshole.
>>
>>1007051
What if someone steals the cameras?
>>
>>1007057
Property lines are property lines...sounds like you're the asshole to me.
>>
>>1007072
You can be right and still be an asshole. If you made me pay to have a fence moved I definitely would be making complaints about your security cameras.
>>
It was a 4 foot deer fence with about 10 feet between hand tapped metal posts he used to keep his dog / 5 kids in their backyard where they free roam around.

It took him about 20 minutes to move it after I asked him once about a week later.

They mostly got pissed off when their pitbull got loose and my wife/dogs were stuck inside all day and I said i would call animal control if it happened again.

Then when they were burning plastic/drywall/anythingthatburns " I never go to the dump, i'll burn everything! " was what he said to me. Got smoked out, so went over and told them to cut that shit out.

I wanted to make sure my fence was in my property lines, so I had a survey done and his fence was about 3 feet over on my side so he could claim two trees.

I looked at google maps and the fence wasnt there two years ago. He put it up after the owner of the house died.

I felt like he was going to try and claim it, but just got the survey to be safe.

His wife and 4/5 kids are there all day every day nearly, so you couldnt do anything without five sets of eyes staring at you, so I built the fence.

Honestly, they are just annoying as fuck, and I plan to be out of here and renting the place before the 5 kids reach teenager years.

The cameras are mostly for liability/peace of mind.

>>1007057

I've had neighbors, I like the ones who leave me alone and maybe say hello. I am not a babysitter or your friend just because you live next to me.

I've lived in really bad areas full of meth, squatters and crime, so maybe I am a little overprotective/PTSD now, but ive had people come in the night and try to steal my tires/knock on my windows.

I find its better to be proactive with security, and ensure you have evidence in case someone claims you attacked them ect.
>>
>>1007151
Damn right I'd make you pay to remove if it was on my property and you failed to get a survey and do it correctly. Tell me again, who's the asshole?
>>
>>1007169
You know, dog treats soaked in tasty antifreeze will cure those poochie woes...ijs
>>
File: MAXIMUM-ANTI-THEFT.jpg (76 KB, 1100x1000) Image search: [Google]
MAXIMUM-ANTI-THEFT.jpg
76 KB, 1100x1000
>>1007066
Got that covered.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.