[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Snagged an U.S. cleaner. Only seeing that it can damage soft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: dental-ultrasonic-cleaner-7.png (100 KB, 300x269) Image search: [Google]
dental-ultrasonic-cleaner-7.png
100 KB, 300x269
Snagged an U.S. cleaner.
Only seeing that it can damage soft gemstones if used for jewelry cleaning.
Are there any other things I should be wary of using this with?
Anybody have any experience with them?
What works well?
>>
>>1006826
It clean pretty much anything you can fit into it, and you would be amazed how much dirt would float out in a beautiful cloud shape
>>
>>1006826
We have this in our lab. Love this thing. Will clean most anything, glue, rust, dirt, grime, nasty shit and oil it all comes off in a bigass WHOOOSH.
Protip: to clean with flammable solvents (acetone) pour acetone into a small beaker then add your nasty tools, samples, whatever. Put the beaker into the water and watch as the vibrations travel through the glass into the solvent.
>>
>>1006893
>Put the beaker into the water and watch as the vibrations travel through the glass into the solvent.

You just blew my mind.

I've been wanting to some some solvent washes in the gf's ultrasonic cleaner but she won't let me because she uses it for jewelry (her business) and is afraid it will damage it.
>>
>>1006826
Depends what you want to clean. Soapy water works, acetone, white vinegar. I got one for cleaning my smoking pieces.

do what >>1006893 said if you have something very dirty with some other container (can be plastic or glass or whatever depending on what solution you're putting in it) so that the actual cleaner does get too dirty
>>
>>1006893
Fucking clever mate
>>
Spoilers: They can also fuck up your hearing real good, use protection.
>>
>>1007345
Thats basic lab knowledge retard
>>
OP back, i put in a knife I had used to cut tar paper and some tarnished rings in some soapy water for about 10 minutes. The results were not terribly impressive.
Will try with solvents in glass beaker.
>>
>>1007526

You can buy various solvents or cleaning solutions that are intended for use in an ultrasonic bath.

Sometimes it takes a few cycles to get things pristine, but if there was no change at all in the state of the dirty part, then switch to a solvent or acid ph solution.

Sea green is the wash solution meant for my jewellery bath, does a nice job, but my jewellery isn't usually covered in tar. You'd benefit from a solvent wash to remove that.
>>
>>1006826
>>>1007526
>
>You can buy various solvents or cleaning solutions that are intended for use in an ultrasonic bath.
>
>Sometimes it takes a few cycles to get things pristine, but if there was no change at all in the state of the dirty part, then switch to a solvent or acid ph solution.
>
>Sea green is the wash solution meant for my jewellery bath, does a nice job, but my jewellery isn't usually covered in tar. You'd benefit from a solvent wash to remove that.

Should have been Sea Clean, not green.
>>
I use undiluted Pine-Sol to clean carbs and other greasy/varnished parts. Smells nice and works well.
>>
>>1007468
also don't stick your hand/arm/anything in there while its on unless you want your heart to stop working properly
>>
>>1008740
ultra sound of this power density rips the membranes of the nerves and renders ones hands senseless.
>>
>>1008754
I have heard various stories, usually it created bubbles in your blood or it turns your bones to mush and gives you arthritis.
I have never heard of the nerve thing, thanks.
either way i'm not in any hurry to test it out personally. any time i had to use one i left it running and went a few rooms away because the noise was really annoying.
>>
>>1008757
This is not 100% true
maybe the big industrial ones cause problems but ultrasound baths are used to break up kidney stones(Shock Wave Lithotripsy).
It causes a bit of tissue damage but it is negligible. Its only a problem for people who have bleeding disorders.
>>
>>1008740
Yeah, no.

It's not going to kill your heart at least not home units. Maybe if you feel into a 500 gal industrial machine.

Now, they're not likely to kill you, but they don't do you any good. So, use common sense and don't use one as a foot bath and use tongs/tweezers to remove something from it while running. Or just turn it off.
>>
Do not ever run it dry; you can delaminate the crystals and then the machine is done... saw it again today in another medical practice...
>>
>>1009861
Also if you need a good test to see if it's working properly you can throw a thin piece of tinfoil in there and see if it chews it up.
>>
don't put blued metal in there, it will take off the bluing
>>
Got a cheap little HF recently and I'm in love with these things, can't wait to have space/a need to get a bigger, beefier one. Only real complaint about this one is it just lacks the strength/doesn't oscillate to be effective at cleaning large parts.
Love the heater too, cosmoline doesn't stand a chance and it lets me be lazy as fuck

>>1007526
The harder the dirt is, the better ultrasonic cleaners work against it
I imagine tarnish needs a certain wash like the other anon said

>>1008740
I'm about 90% sure the only real danger from them, barring being thrown into an industrial-sized one, is gradual exposure fucking up your bones (Apparently it was common in watchmakers after years of fishing parts out of ultrasonic baths by hand)
>>
File: sten36.jpg (196 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
sten36.jpg
196 KB, 800x600
>>1010128
>mfw that sten trigger housing
>>
File: IMG_0214.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0214.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1010164
Gunsmithing is the best hobby
Sadly this piece is too big to effectively clean, but it got most of the nooks and crannies so I can't really complain
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.