[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I freaking hate soldering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Kind of a tech issue, but it would probably be better in here since I am going to do something myself...

Have a galaxy s3 that just had the power button die. I removed it, hoping to be able to replace it, but my attempts were futile....nothing wanted to go right.

I will try some conductive glue, when it eventually gets here. I might try to make some if I can pick up some ingredients.

In the mean time, I can still get it to turn on with the power cord (and use the home button to wake/shut the screen off), but for some reason it has been getting really warm and hemorrhaging battery. It says the screen has been using the most power, but that makes no sense since the screen is otherwise off.

I'm assuming removing the power button somehow messed it up? Any ideas?
>>
You have probably short circuited it. Buy a new phone.
>>
Unless you are really really really super human good at soldering like CNC robot arm reflow Japanese trained from the tender age of 2 to solder I doubt you can just go in to a smartphone with an iron.
You fucked it up guaranteed.
>>
>>1006688
>for some reason it has been getting really warm and hemorrhaging battery

Definitely a short circuit, you fucked up, dump it before it starts a fire when you least expect it and kill your entire family
>>
>>1006698
You absolutely can. The power button isn't even that large a part. Solder it like you would any other vaguely-large SMD part; the hoverweb suggests using kapton and hot air to blow the old one off easier.

>>1006702
Yeah, this. Remove the button completely, and make sure you get any and all solder bridges.
>>
BTW anyone have tips on soldering wire? Everytime I try the metal beads and rolls off onto the mat. I actually had to make a foil crevice to help, but still very shitty.
>>
>>1006694
>>1006702
if it was shorted out, wouldn't it act like the power button was constantly being held, and thus get stuck in a boot loop?

>>1006707
as far as I could tell, it was clean
>>
>>1006716
You fucked up your phone, you don't know how to solder, why do you think you should trust your own judgement over what the entire internet is telling you?
>>
>>1006717
it starting behaving that way before I attempted to replace it

explain your reasoning for why not having a power button would cause a short
>>
>>1006720
Then why did you say it like it is caused by you fucking up the phone? If you can't even explain the situation correctly you should get off the internet
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 241x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 241x183
>>1006716
If you shorted the pulldown resistor, the whole time the switch isn't pressed there's a milliohm path from the input to ground, where there should be a kiloohm one.
>>
>>1006711
You're not using flux-core solder.

Solid solder is for soldering pipes, not electronics.
>>
>>1006721
I did not say that

I took apart the button with pliers after it was stuck in a boot loop (the button was stuck)...no iron, the board was perfectly intact

I then used the cord method to start it up and noticed it was warmer than usual and the battery was using larger amounts

>>1006722
I will double check anyway
>>
>>1006688
Anyhoo, you seem like a dumbass, so maybe http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=i9300+motherboard would be more your thing?

Hock your old motherboard as "for parts/not working".
>>
>>1006698
Are you retarded? Some hours of practice make and you can solder a fucking button. its not a 01005 resistor
>>
>>1006688
Just hotglue it on!
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.