[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This place I'm looking at has these odd jacks next to every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (898 KB, 2809x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
898 KB, 2809x2448
This place I'm looking at has these odd jacks next to every since outlet. I think they're for phone lines. Should I replace the whole gang or just clean it up and leave it? I'd have to patch a new drywall at every box.. The place was built in the early 70s and it's interesting then you could literally plug your phone in anywhere in the house.
>>
File: image.jpg (732 KB, 2644x2223) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
732 KB, 2644x2223
>>1006550
Others have been painted over like shit
>>
Id use the existing wires to pull Cat5e and wire the whole place up. Essentially that's what they did just circa mid century. .
>>
>>1006550
never seen 3 gang lengthwise covers like that

but yeah, see if you can pull some ethernet cable if you need it. attic access would help with that too.
>>
Alternatively to ethernet cables, put speaker cables for a "wireless" TV sound system or to have music in every room.
It may already be that if it's not phone lines.
>>
>>1006550
These are phone lines. If you actually use land lines, they still make a converter that plugs in to these and converts to a regular modular jack. You won't be able to use the original wire for anything else since it's cat3 at best.
>>
>>1006550
show us the inside
>>
>>1006558
Or, y'know, run ethernet and then use something modern like sonos, airplay, etc.
>>
>>1006550
Yep, old style phone jack.
I have a couple plugs kicking around the garage.
Won't be able to use it for networking, but you might be able to use it to pull through cable.
>>
>>1006550
I think that is a fuse in the circle. Try to unscrew it. My guess would be the holes are for venting incase it blows up.
>>
Fuck, this post makes me feel old...
>>
>>1006550
Replace that shit man. You can get tiles for 50c a piece that would look a million times better. Jesus christ this gave me cancer
>>
>>1006751

Absolutely this. Second Sonos too
>>
>>1007336

10 megabit Ethernet may work over it. If your internet is not even 10 megabits then why bother upgrading.
>>
Like the idea of wiring the whole house for music or intercoms.
>>
>>1007336
That shit is old enough it's probably only three wire,so not even 10mbit, not enough conductors.
>>
>>1006550
Pull fiber or some Cat 6e / 7 in place of that old phone wire.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.