[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Creating good quality thermite?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: serveimage.jpg (15 KB, 170x188) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
15 KB, 170x188
My country is heavily restricting sales of thermite so I thought of making my own. But I want to be able to create something purer and better quality (then that DIY shit you often see on YT).

I have money, time, lots of tools and a creative mind.
>>
https://warosu.org/diy/thread/S1000157#p1000171

Also, don't shoot my dog when you raid my house pls.
>>
Nice try
>>
>>1006324
Aluminium foil > blender > ball mill.
0000 steel wool > bleach to make rust > water to rinse > sun to dry > blender > ball mill.

At least that's what the internet tells me.
>>
>>1006421
Yeah but that will be crap quality
>>
>>1006660
In what way?

The elemental aluminium won't be aluminiumy enough?

The iron oxide won't be iron oxidey enough?
>>
File: image.png (161 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.png
161 KB, 1920x1200
>>1006660

you cant experiment and let us know ?
>>
>>1006669
I've tried blending and ball milling aluminum foil. It fucking sucks. The blender barely did shit and the ball mill kind of worked after a day of tumbling I got like .2g powder. I used rocks instead of ceramic media though.

I scraped rust off a metal barrel and that worked for iron oxide. Just call a paint store and say you are doing futuristic movie props and need aluminum powder for shiny paint. They'll order it for you if they don't keep any in stock.
>>
>>1006666
Kitchen foil isn't 100% aluminum.
>>
Collected a lot of fine rust dust, and made an big order of aluminum dust. I did as previous post said and pretended that it was needed for a movie set.
And finally I acquired magnesium strips.
I will post the tests.
Meanwhile I would like to ask what the most efficient way would be to deliver it by air (trigger the thermite remote in air)?

/OP
>>
>>1006875
Learn English you bean.
>>
>>1006875
>trigger the thermite remote in air
Something something model rocket ignitor, something something radio controlled relay.
>>
>>1006324

aluminum:

what you can try, if you have the capabilities, is making an aluminum spray.

make an ultrasonic spray valve through which you pump molten aluminum.

you can make the spray valve out of stainless steel or something and actuate it through an inelastic insulator.
the aluminum mist solidifies rapidly as it comes in contact with the atmosphere. if you want extra pure aluminum dust you can displace the atmosphere with nitrogen (althrough it shouldn't really make a difference)

if you want to increase the surface area even more, run the dust through a ball mill to make flakes.
>>
I have several theories I'm curious about, firstly how useful is soda can aluminium if you just burn it clean and maybe try a food processor? Can a standard sparkler (a la fireworks) be as effective as a magnesum strip? Finally why not just find a method of ordering aluminium and iron oxide online?
>>
If you have money, order industrial quantities of precursors under a business license for your project. Any other method is a fucking waste of time because it won't get you what you want.

If you want to make "realistic movie effects" fougasse devices are cheap and easy to make from products which cannot be regulated.
>>
>>1006875
Thermite thermobaric device? Might work in the way grain elevator explosions function.

What will you use for a bursting charge?
>>
>>1006739
Then buy some god damn aluminum shavings from a machine shop. Or buy some stock and file the fuck out of it. It's not exactly a restricted material.
>>
>>1006875
Go home to your goat, Mohammed
>>
>>1006324
>so I thought of making my own
why?
>>
>>1007263
>why?
Because I want to drop it from a helicopter.
>>
>>1007189
>thermite
>thermobaric

You want to know how I know you've no idea what you're talking about?
>>
>>1007276
I'm dead serious. Will deliver once I have the materials
>>
Op here my order is only 3days away. Still haven't figured out how to drop it from air. So I guess I have to settle for Styrofoam and gasoline for now, still need the thermite.
>>
>>1007115

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_spraying

I do this a lot at work, makes fine metal dust. Usually we are trying to cote something but if you just spray it into the air you can quickly make lots of it.

If anyone wants an arc spray machine let me know, we have too many of them.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.