[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey broskis. Was hoping to find some general contractors to help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: seconddraft.png (28 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
seconddraft.png
28 KB, 1440x1440
Hey broskis. Was hoping to find some general contractors to help me put an estimate to what I want to do. Not having amazing luck finding anything nearby so quickly.

Found an amazing underdeveloped property going for super cheap so trying to get the ball rolling fast.

Looking at making a house out of shipping containers. 3 40'x8'x9.5' containers. Mocked up a rough(really rough) draft on paint of what I want. Would like to use the exterior walls plain but take out the inside walls, possible weld?(not sure how to best do it) them together somehow. Basically build a box inside for walls/insulation. Just a normal slab foundation. If possible a roof to keep snow from piling up, but not sure how it'd be done..

doesn't take into account wall size

First time buying land, or building, so..basically know next to dick about any of this.

wasn't sure which board would be best, so here's hoping?
>>
just realized I marked the bed as bath...Doh. Big room is a bed
>>
>>1005950
not /diy/

get out
>>
For your sake, just delete this thread.
It's going to get shitposted into oblivion. I promise you. You will not get any useful information, bingo sheets will be posted, and people will post images of arduinos, crab meat, lawnmowers, and so on.
>>
>>1005950
As has been endlessly hashed over before, the cost of transporting and retrofitting even a single shipping container to make it livable is much higher than a traditional stick-built or manufactured home. More so if you want to join 3 of them together. If cost savings is your reason for choosing shipping containers (which it sure sounds like it is) abandon the idea of shipping container.
>>
Why not just build a building to your specs and skin it with corrugated steel panels and beams in the same layout and dimensions of a standard container? Framing in faux ends matched up with salvaged doors as desired would be equally easy.

Slamming lots of containers together just to chop them apart and make conventionaly sized spaces is what designers do with infinite budgets and the need to be "hip" and "eco-friendly" without actually doing anything useful or clever. "Conventional" stick-built or something clever like commercial steel framing or even concrete block structures will be more friendly to layout, get approved (if building codes matter there) and to actually build. (block-layers or carpenters are cheap and common).

Other things:
Not trying to shit on you, but that layout is.. it might not be very good. Try looking at the layouts of other buildings, especially those that have actually been built and inhabited. Spend at least a little time working with an architect when you are solidifying ideas to make sure the thing can physically be built and won't be condemned too quickly.
>>
File: 1453350033561.jpg (60 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1453350033561.jpg
60 KB, 640x640
Holy fuck op stop the memes
>>
>snow
Top kek. Have fun living in your refrigerator.
>>
>>1005950
M8 unless you want shipping containers for purely aesthetic reasons forget it any builder will charge you more for having to work with fucking containers. It's not their interest to work with something they have no experience with for less money. You will end up getting the I don't want to do this price that's why people who make shipping container houses DIY them.
>>
Magically found you some more space.
>>
Look up modular homes, seriously, you're looking at 100k easy for a hodge podge of bullshit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.