[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Around how much money would it be to build your own partition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: loli imouto question.png (278 KB, 706x412) Image search: [Google]
loli imouto question.png
278 KB, 706x412
Around how much money would it be to build your own partition wall? I want to build one in my basement, and I'd rather not have to pay someone, and I've heard that building just a stud wall and putting sheet rock on it is extremely easy.

How much is it in materials, and is it worth it to pay a tradie to do it?
>>
>>1005882
Its easy if you are halfway handy
How expensive depends on how big, you have to look at your local prices of raw materials.
>>
>>1005884
Thanks
Are there any good online tutorials or guides out there?
>>
>>1005886
Its literally just framing studs, go on youtube should be hundreds of thousands of videos.
>>
>>1005887
So I figure it isn't worth it at all to pay someone to do it then? Do you need a professional to put sheet rock and stuff on the walls?
>>
>>1005882
Note that if the wall is long enough, you technically need to have outlets in it per electrical code. This is what drives up the price for pros to do it.

Assuming you're in North America and this is a standard room, outlets are no more than 12 ft apart wall distance, and within 6 ft of a door.
>>
>>1005888
It's about as easy as nailing a board to a piece of wood.
>>
>>1005960
>>1005887
Exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAD2-ubd42g
This video shows how simple it can be but there is a load of videos on the youtubes, don't be afraid to watch a few until it makes sense.

Use common sense when it comes to where a wall is located, weird walls may have a negative effect on future home values, doing this in an apartment could get you kicked out, etc.
>>
>>1005932
>you need to have outlets in it per electrical code
What the fuck?
What's the justification for this?
>>
>>1005986
Probably to keep people from using thin assed extension cords all the time and burning their house down.
>>
>>1005986
The three usual reasons for building codes like that are :
Lobbyists
Insurance companies
Lobbyists lobbying insurance companies.
>>
>>1005986
They don't want people using extension cords in houses, especially through/across or around doors.

Tripping hazard, fire hazard, etc.

It's a basic rule of electrical, too, not something I pulled out of my ass.
>>
>>1006377
Also, you can't have more than 12 outlets on a standard 15 amp circuit breaker, assuming that breaker doesn't also carry lights.

Trust me, electrical has the most dumb little rules. But you gotta follow them, especially if you're liable to be inspected (selling house, renting, etc.) Many rules beyond these vary by jurisdiction, down to the city and individual inspector at times.

Oh the joys of building inspections.
>>
>>1005882
Monitoring thread. Feel free to upload a pic or a sketch, I'll tell you what to look out for, as best as I can (I've built walls and wired basements that have passed inspections with compliments).

obv. verify whatever you hear from some random on the internet, from a different region no less
>>
>>1005882
If you have an impact driver, get 3" long construction screws (the gold ones). They have a coarse thread and hold up well, go in like butter. The silver wood screws get stuck and fuck up the heads at that length.

If you're following that video that was posted, when you drive the screw on a diagonal to put the studs in, leave the stud a little bit out of alignment closer to you. It cinches up into alignment that way when you drive it.

If you're using nails, build the whole wall on the ground before putting it up, driving the nails through top and bottom plates into the studs. Lot of hammering and potential drywall damage that way, though. Need to be accurate with length.

When you pick the wood, look down the sides for warping. Pick wood with as little as possible, and when you put up the wall, make sure the warping (crown) is in the same direction (so the drywall didn't look like it's cupping in and out).
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.