[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dvi analog link
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 2000px-DVI_pinout.svg.png (102 KB, 2000x625) Image search: [Google]
2000px-DVI_pinout.svg.png
102 KB, 2000x625
so im not sure if this is a /g/ question or a /diy/ question, but i ask here anyways. is it possible to run 2 monitors, one analog and one digital, from a single dvi port? is it as easy as hacking a wire together, or is there a specialty cable i have to buy?
>>
>>1005746
is it possible to run them through the same cable? sure, they use different pins.
will you find a card that supports the functionality?
no
>>
>>1005746
interesting, ive never actually thought about this but seems doable as long as the card activates both the digital and the analog outputs with the same data (same resolution&clock for both outputs) (i dont think the cards drive the analog separate from the digital one, i could be wrong, but having a dac always on like on vga seems the easiest route instead of checking all outputs being used [not on high impedance] and selecting&activating the best one)
if i had a couple of spare dvi-i cables i would definitely rip concoction some abomination to test it out (male dvi-i dual link to male dvi-d single link + male dvi-a)
does anyone here have any insight on the pairing/protocol of dvi on this? (which edid would be used by the card on that port?)

>>1005766
>will you find a card that supports the functionality?
>no
so, both, analog and digital, outputs are muxed differently/exclusively?
>>
>>1005789
ps:
and just to clarify im referring to same picture stream (same data same resolution etc) on both analog and digital outputs
different picture/data streams is obviously a no go
>>
>>1005795
Why not just use a dvi splitter at the monitor end of the cable?
>>
>>1005789
>so, both, analog and digital, outputs are muxed differently/exclusively?
you know what, if you just want the same image or whatever then its possible you could find a card that might do it, it might even be simpler to not have to turn the analog on/off when configuring digital.
what i meant was nobody in their right mind would design it that way on purpose because i think op is probably the only person in the world who has ever considered doing it.
I was only considering op wanting different images on each monitor.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.