[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/ I'm planning some improvements for my desk and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: Front_down.png (314 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
Front_down.png
314 KB, 1920x1040
Hi /diy/

I'm planning some improvements for my desk and I'm thinking of adding a "hidden shelf" for it.
I'm planning on putting my monitors on the shelf too so I can raise or lower them slightly depending on if I sit slouched or straight.
I will also get a little bit extra space where I can put stuff I don't use as often with the extra benefit that I can lower it down into the desk, hiding the objects in the shelf compartment.

The problem is that I'm not really sure how I should raise and lower the shelf.

Any suggestions? I can modify everything if needed

Pic with shelf lowered
>>
File: front_up.png (331 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
front_up.png
331 KB, 1920x1040
pic with shelf up
>>
File: back_down.png (403 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
back_down.png
403 KB, 1920x1040
pic from behind with shelf down
>>
File: back_up.png (409 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
back_up.png
409 KB, 1920x1040
>>1005166
pic from behind with shelf up
>>
>>1005163
You're probably putting this against a wall, at which point I think it's going to be a huge pain in the ass to raise or lower that thing unless you've got it attached to a linear actuator. It isn't too hard, but expensive and the things are damn slow.

For your monitor, I would attach a VESA mount to the desk instead. I think you would prefer that because it allows easier modification without necessarily having to bust out the linear actuator whenever you need that thing moved.
>>
>>1005174
Having my monitors on it is just extra benefit really
I'm mostly interested in having a compartment that can be lowered down actually

There has to be other ways aside from linear actuators?
>>
>>1005184
>There has to be other ways aside from linear actuators?

Ropes and pulleys. Learn a little rigging. :)
>>
>>1005184
You don't have to buyfag a linear actuator.
They're perfectly within the realm of /diy/ing.
It's just a controlled motor and a worm gear. Synchronizing two of them would be somewhat difficult, but I'm sure you could just run two gears off one motor.

If you're looking for a solution that involves a minimal amount of fiddling around with your desk, I recommend placing your hidden compartment on rails, and attaching a handle to the top of the compartment.

Simply put, it's a vertical drawer.
There really isn't a better way to express this.

There are two obvious problems: Rails don't have significant friction to counter gravity wanting the drawer to fall downwards. Rails are fragile and shitty in the long run.

Linear actuators solve both problems, because they run on worm gears which are basically impossible to move without a motor.
>>
>>1005184
Ya, it's called a lever. Go fins some Greek dude to build one for you.
>>
>>1005493
I never said I did or didn't want to buy them and I'm perfectly able to build one.
It's just like you say, I'm looking for minimal amount of fiddling around

To everyone wondering I came up with gas springs and a handle as a better solution than everything else suggested.
Cheap, easy to install, easy to use, easy to repair, minimal amount of fiddling.

But thanks for the patronizing suggestions anyway
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.