[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I dislike thses birds shockingly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: european_starling_MG_0745.jpg (207 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
european_starling_MG_0745.jpg
207 KB, 640x427
So I have cool birds like catbirds, cardinals, blue jays, those little chubby birds with black stripes on their heads, wrens, robbins, wood peckers and occasionally a coopers hawk come by and eats one. And also a pair of doves who cant build a nest worth shit.
What I really cant stand are the starlings that come in and eat up the suet.

So I want to hook up a method to shock their asses when they grab onto the suet feeder. I'd shoot them but nieghbors. So I figure pain is a good way to go.

So I'm looking for ideas. Wires and a manual switch are okay. No need for A.I. to determine the species and shock or not accordingly. How much voltage/amp etc and whats the source and and stuff like that.
>>
You're a cunt and an idiot, OP.
>>
>>1005070
Why not just sound?
Also, you're a cunt and an idiot OP.
>>
Why not a BB gun, build a backstop and blast away.
>>
>>1005070
you're a dickhead
>>
Birds are not that important
>>
>>1005089
>>1005077
>>1005075
>>1005075
And worse, you are uneducated nitwits.

>The successful occupation of North America (and most other continents as well) has earned the starling a nomination in the Top 100 list of ‘Worlds Worst’ invaders. Pimentel et al. (2000) estimated that starling damage to agriculture crops in the United States was $800 million yearly, based on $5/ha damage. Starlings may spread infectious diseases that sicken humans and livestock, costing nearly $800 million in health treatment costs.
Lastly, starlings perhaps have contributed to the decline of native cavity-nesting birds by usurping their nesting sites.
We describe the life history of starlings, their economic impact on agriculture, and their potential role as vectors in spreading diseases to livestock and humans. We recommend that the database on migratory and local movements of starlings be augmented and that improved baits and baiting strategies be developed to reduce nuisance populations.

But hey, who cares as long as you can feel good in your ignorance it doesn't matter who gets sick or how many native species are decimated right?. Bravo.
>>
here u go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Qz6qWxfjc
>>
>>1005102
I called you a cunt for killing animals in a painful way. I called you an idiot for thinking you could kill one specific species with electric shocks.

Both of my point still stand.

You're an cunt and an idiot, OP.
>>
>>1005070
God damn I fucking HATE starlings too. I want to murder each and every one of them I see bullying my feeders.

People complaining to you have never dealt with the cancer that starlings are.

It would have to be a pretty big shock to kill them though.
>>
>>1005105
No retard. I said nothing about killing. You provided that interpretation from within yourself. I might suggest that it is you that is the sadist for having those thoughts.
I said I want to shock them. I did not say I want to fry them. I also did not say I wanted to shock every bird. Again, that is your assertions. Something to be concerned about were I you.
I can humanely kill them with a pellet, but as I said, the neighbors. They are too close and as a sane person, I have no desire to inadvertently harm a neighbor or their belongings. You on the other hand are cause for concern with your immediate tendency to imagine killing things in egregiously inhumane ways.
>>
>>1005103
If you watch Teds Holdover he explains why these go infective. That said, I want one.
>>
The youropoor cuckness is strong ITT. No wonder you're overrun with rapefugees.
>>
>>1005105
>culling an invasive species
>caring about whether its painful or not

Whats the correct way for me to "put down" bighead or asian carp?
You know, because its actually against the law to put them back into the water and you are supposed to kill them.

Starlings are like Crows where I can legally hunt them with no limits at any time of year. The only difference is its pretty hard to be shooting firearms in the back yard.

It sounds like OP is in the same position.
>>
>>1005089
>>1005077
>>1005105
>>1005075
European Starlings can carry diseases that are transmissible to livestock and to people, including TGE (transmissible gastroenteritis - a disease of swine), blastomycosis, and samonella.
n the United States, starling droppings provide a growth medium for Histoplasma capsulatum, the fungus that causes histoplasmosis in humans. All of these examples indicate that the spread of disease by starlings to humans and livestock is a potential threat. Spread of disease among wildlife is another facet of this problem. The Common Myna, a relative of the Common Starling, was implicated in the spread of avian malaria in Hawaii.
>>
>>1005117
Exactly. I want to feed the native species but prevent the invasive and damaging starling from eating and thus prevent any additional foothold they may gain from my benevolence.
>>
>>1005070
Why not just use a pellet rifle?

Quiet so your neighbors won't even know, plus the pellet is unlikely to do any real damage to your surroundings if you miss, unless you hit a nearby window or something.
>>
>>1005070
>And also a pair of doves who cant build a nest worth shit.

lol
I have dove and they are the dumbest clumsiest birds of the bunch.
>>
Rip the transformer out of an old microwave and connect it to opppsite ends of the wire of the suet feeder with some beefy wires. When the starlings land on the feeder wire, plug your transformer in.
>>
>>1005178
...but they're delicious...

BB gun OP. Only way to be selective.
>>
>>1005169
>unless you hit a nearby window or something.
my RWS is scoped and I'm sure it would be fine, but there like 75-100 feet between homes and very clear view between houses. I'm sure I'd be seen. Neighbors may not be so understanding.
>>
>>1005200
I like it. Why microwave transformer?
>>
>>1005070

you can just wire direct mains to your shocking element, as long as you don't activate it too long.

Your real problem is getting a good shock on the birds. You need to make good electrical contact across them.
>>
>>1005307
Find out your state/city laws in regards to the legality of killing starlings/invasive species.

If it's legal, which it probably is, print it out and tell them to go fuck themselves if they complain.

If not, would it be possible to construct some sort of hide or loophole arrangement to conceal yourself from observation?
>>
>>1005308
Cause the commercial electric bird deterrent contraptions output about 800V and 10W, and they keep the birds off by giving their feet a little tingle. A MOT which outputs around 2kV and 1000W depending on the model ought to do the job a little bit better.
>>
File: qt_bird.jpg (62 KB, 554x390) Image search: [Google]
qt_bird.jpg
62 KB, 554x390
Install a switch on whatever you end up making. Maybe a push button so you can control the duration of the shock (just in case the fucker doesn't fly away)
>>
I think the transformer idea won't work, because you need a way to put the bird between main and ground...
The best idea is to put a pallet memewood barrier between you and your neighbors, and shoot them with pellet gun.
>>
>>1005116
Please go back to >>>/pol/ and stay there.
>>
>>1005308
MOT=ZOT
>>
>>1005455
Its not hard to but alternating electrodes on the feeders perches. Wire the positive and negative like a helix down the perch then cut away the insulation from the outward edges of the wire. The birds claw is almost certainly a lower resistance than air so that would mitigate a Jacob's ladder from occurring.

The issue he'll have is corrosion of the electrodes, reducing the effective contact area. The other issue is the contraction of muscles in strong electrical shocks. Bird feet are powerful grippers and will latch on if the jolts are high enough to over ride their ability to release from the feeder.
>>
Honestly an airshit gun might be a good option. It would annoy the hell out of them, it's cheap, little risk of damaging property, and fun. Doubt the neighbors would complain.
>>
>>1005557
Annoy? If your air gun isn't total shit, they'll die or at least are injured.
>>
Make a bird trap that can be built with a cage made out of hardware cloth, woodplanks and 2x4s, with a perch and a hole at the front. Afterwards, take a milk jug and cut a circle out of it and then cut another semicircle at the bottom.

Attach it with zipties and push the plastic through the hole and tie the zipties to the hardware cloth. This makes a oneway door so a bird can climb in given there's bait, and cannot escape. And using the semicircle as a peephole so birds know the food's through the hole. I built this back a while ago to catch house sparrows, but it all I got was paintedbunting by catch.

I'll try to get pictures soon.
>>
>>1005578
this is what I made. To attempt to catch sparrows. However, you can make a larger trap for starlings. If you catch a starling, you can take it out, and euthanize it, and if you catch a native, you can release it. No guns needed!
>>
All this hate stems from the original few released by that faggot who had a hardon for Shakespeare. They had no real predators and went massive. There was a massive campaign against them and their number eventually returned to what is considered normal. However, due to that hate campaign people, generations later, still dislike them.

They are just normal birds that do normal bird things. You want a bird that is a real dick? Check out Blue Jays.
>>
>>1005564
You can tune a motor to get whatever FPS you want. Just set it to like 100-200 FPS and they'll be fine.
>>
Some good advice here. Thanks for the time. I wonder if a cheap shock collar rigged up would be an easy method. Theoretically water resistant and remote operation. Problem for me is how to attach to a wire feeder.
I also like the airsoft idea since it would be a great excuse to get one.
Pallet fence would be nice for a future project due to the amount of time and effort needed.
>>
>>1005591
I have blue jays (in season) and wood peckers year round.
Both considered bad birds.

I have never seen them be as aggressive and as territorial as Starlings are.
I saw a starling attack a fucking goldfinch on a nyjer seed bag last week. The starling literally has no way of eating that seed if it wanted to, and it obviously couldnt hold onto it. Im not even sure it recognized it was food, probably just being territorial, even though I space my black oil, nyjer, suet and everything else out in a smart way to keep birds away from each other.

Fuck them, they are pests
>>
File: a-young-starling-taking-a-bath.jpg (214 KB, 1300x953) Image search: [Google]
a-young-starling-taking-a-bath.jpg
214 KB, 1300x953
>>1005070
When I was a boy back in the late 80s I remember seeing hundreds of starlings everywhere here in the UK. Now they are definitely few and far between. One explanation is that they are drowning in ponds so maybe it's time to install a water feature, anon. Just make sure it is deep and has steep sides.

Starlings are an invasive species in the US so I don't really care for them over there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/12016839/Starlings-mysteriously-drowning-en-masse-in-garden-ponds.html
>>
>>1005578
this looks like a good project. Thanks for the pic.
>>
Just take apart a Harbor Freight bug zapper tennis racket and use the guts out of that.

No more shitbirds.
>>
File: Khp5hhS.jpg (242 KB, 1024x779) Image search: [Google]
Khp5hhS.jpg
242 KB, 1024x779
>>1005102

Bird lover here, fuck European Starlings. They're a scourge upon the land and horribly damaging to native ecology. They're up there with Grackles and House Sparrows on my shit list.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.